Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Domenic
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea of an RPG-lite version of Ogre, with characters that level up and get more powerful as veteran units is kind of interesting. But this specific proposal doesn't appeal to me.

Please note that while I have played GEV, I am primarily an Ogre player. I enjoy the asymmetry of one big Ogre vs an army of regular units. Assuming your units are costed correctly, two Level 5 GEV Aces should be a match for an Ogre Mark III. And that fight would be pretty boring, I think - once they take out the Main Battery and Missiles, the Ogre is done shooting.

Also, I would say this adds quite a jump in complexity to Ogre/GEV. One of the great things about Ogre/GEV is how, through the use of objectives, terrain, and a variety of units, the very simple move-shoot gameplay achieves interesting depth. Here, you've added action selection, skill rolls, tokens to track status, additional special rules for overrun and combined fire, and so on. It seems odd to have all of those things just for one type of unit. Could these rules be presented as more general modifications? For example, if the GEV-Aces have the option of increasing their defense in a defensive mode and saving MPs for use on the opponent's turn, why not make that a more general rule that applies to all units?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.