Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Kontoulis
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife has grown quite fond of this game playing it on Board Game Arena, and I was wondering what you all recommended is the best way to enter with a hard copy version.

Unfortunately I missed the Samurai Kickstarter, and it looks like those sell for around 4x what they original cost, so I can't justify that.

From the current options, there are:

Tokaido Base Game

Tokaido Crossroads Expansion

Tokaido Matsuri Expansion

Tokaido Deluxe Edition

Tokaido Deluxe Accessory Pack

I've read some threads here saying that the game becomes much better with the Crossroads expansion. The Deluxe edition is much more expensive than just the base game and crossroads expansion combined though, so what else does it have? Is it the accessory pack? If it has anything else, are those nice to haves, really useless, or awesome?

I'm looking to get a nice gift for under $100, just trying to figure out the best way to do that. Thanks for any help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
One question is whether the miniatures in the Deluxe edition matter enough to justify the additional cost in general, then does the painted version matter enough to warrant the 4x cost increase.

I'm assuming you can do without the minis, if so then it's a question about how you play the game and what do you want more of, I would not recommend trying to get the Deluxe edition if you don't care about the minis, they'll be unpainted and right now the Matsuri minis haven't been released so you'll have characters without minis until that's released and you purchase it. Any other things in the Deluxe edition are largely minor things in my opinion, metal coins is nice, but who cares overall, the minis are the reason for the costs.

So start with the base game, what do you like about it?

The Crossroads expansion basically gives a second action option at each space, this adds some complexity to the game and maybe a bit more decision making. There's some new characters and encounters as well, but the core idea is having more options at each stop.

The Matsuri expansion adds lots of new characters, but the core idea is the festivals that can change how your plans go for different days of the journey, this can add a bit of fun and randomness, but also additional complexity as you'll likely be looking up those festivals every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cody
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the deluxe edition because I was to foolish to splurge on the painted version... Anyway, the coins and the minis are the only difference really. If you have coins that you like and don't care about the minis, just go with the regular version.

Oh yeah, the board is bigger too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Korson
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the deluxe edition and am personally very happy with it - but yeah if money is a factor, then no need to full obligated to splurge on it.

Now I just need to find someone to paint the miniatures for mewhistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game is fine by itself, IMO. Crossroads adds more choice (two options at each stop) but also some extra randomness and makes it harder to keep track of the scores.

If you want something that's very simple and zen, the base game is enough. Crossroads will help if you want to make the game a bit deeper.

The Deluxe edition is very very pretty but it's not necessary if you're happy with the base version's look. Yes, it does add a larger board and cards, metal coins and plastic minis for the characters, plus a CD soundtrack, but it will really depend if you think that's worth the extra money.

I have the base game and Crossroads, and bought some Japanese-looking metal coins off a different KS, and that will probably do me fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zielinski
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokaido Base Game and Crossroads Expansion ONLY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bite the bullet and get the collectors edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Bear
United States
Centerville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been considering this too.

I am very visually oriented. Sensory Processing Disorder, I crave visual stuff, beautiful design is just mana to me. Though I've been meaning to blog about my realizing that in a couple games, it may be interfering with my gameplay. Would that happen here? I don't know.

Once I identify and become more conscious of an issue, I can adjust for it. Besides, I would rather lose more playing pretty games, than win more playing meh looking ones. The ways the g game so arts may be interfering with my gameplay, depends on the game. Anyway, here is not the place for my blog post, lol.

I would like the larger board, but unpainted minis would bug me. Is the only way to get the larger board, affordably, to get a version with unpainted minis? I could just not use them. Metal coins would be tactile, and weighty, there's a sense I can't name that sensory people like a frog weight in the hand.

A game like this sounds nice when I am having anxiety, it sounds relaxing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.