Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tier-03: War World
Founders: FrUnitSeven, HomerJr, rawlinpa, Matney, Agamon, Darklighter

Charter:

Divisions within the Tier will have an unlimited format range, and will be decided based on the preferences of players in the division. Gambits and Events may be used if at least 4 players within the division desire to play with them.

The tier is now in the Transition Phase. During this phase, only 1 player will be relegated from each division rather than the normal 2 players. This is intended to help stabilize the tier itself, as well as support creating the next tier up.

At some point after Tier-04 is founded, this tier may enter the Stabilized Phase, at which point 2 players will be relegated from each division. Rather than being primarily supported by entry level division promotions, the extra relegation each wave will also be back-filled by relegation from above.

Star Realms XTL -- main discussion thread
Star Realms XTL -- Tier-02
Star Realms XTL -- Tier-04
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The token in Tier-02 proved super valuable to Agamon, who managed to avoid relegation for another shot at moving up, and subsequently got the promotion in T02.D006. It's back in play here as the newest top-tier begins. We'll see if the phase lasts a bit longer this go-around, and with this list of tough competition, its certainly anyone's chance. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All these names seems pretty familiar indeed.

Just in case, do I still have my token from Tier-02 or do I lost it as first player promoted to Tier-03 ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FrUnit7 wrote:
All these names seems pretty familiar indeed.

Just in case, do I still have my token from Tier-02 or do I lost it as first player promoted to Tier-03 ?

I've thought about this, and I think it is only fair that should you find yourself back in Tier-02, you will in fact have a token at that tier protecting you from further relegation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biggs Larkdighter
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is a token?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rdemille wrote:
What is a token?

So, for a new top-tier to be founded, we need to promote 6 players from the current top-tier. But, because promotion (and relegation) removes players from the tier, to fill back up for a new division to start normally requires an additional 2 players from the tier below. If you start this process immediately, it will take awhile, and the first to be promoted could be waiting for quite some time.

Tokens are intended to delay the start of this process, and to shorten the length that the process takes, while also keeping the level of competition high before the process starts.

Rather than being immediately promoted, a player who wins a division receives a token. since this player stays within the tier, new divisions require less support from below to get started. The token can be redeemed for the player to be saved from relegation, which also helps divisions start quicker. The process of promoting into the next tier does not begin until someone with a token wins a division again. At this point, there should be a few tokens distributed, and there may be a few extra players already in the tier's queue to help divisions start quicker.

The ideal result, is that once we do start promoting, the 5 additional divisions that need to run to get the next tier started will take place at a quicker pace, minimizing the wait time for those who are the first up, while the level of competition in the current tier remains high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biggs Larkdighter
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting mechanic. Makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

| Tier-03: War World
| Division-000: Freighter #01
| Format: V-BF

FrUnitSeven
HomerJr
rawlinpa
Matney
Agamon
Darklighter

T03|D000 - Challonge Page

Complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Division-000: Freighter

rawlinpa is the division champion with a sweep, earning a token and remaining in this tier.

Agamon takes the relegation spot, returning to Tier-02.

Darklighter, HomerJr, FrUnitSeven, and Matney all return to the Tier-03 queue for another chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Rawlinson
msg tools
mbmb
Just found this thread and the token things makes sense. Good idea.

I'm currently on a 19 match winning streak in XTL play which is insane luck. I imagine that just mentioning it means it will come to a crashing halt this next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Low
Australia
Canberra BC
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rawlinpa wrote:
I'm currently on a 19 match winning streak in XTL play which is insane luck.

Ah. There we go. I knew I had to have a reflection, somewhere, to maintain balance in the Universe.... robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

| Division-001: Blob Destroyer #01

rawlinpa*
Darklighter
HomerJr
FrUnitSeven
Matney
Klemp

T03|D001 - Challonge Page

Complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rawlinpa wrote:
I'm currently on a 19 match winning streak in XTL play which is insane luck. I imagine that just mentioning it means it will come to a crashing halt this next round.

Indeed! But you were still very lucky in our 16 turns match, isn't it?

Whatever the results of my other matches, this division will be my last participation in XTL. If allowed, I bequeath my unused Tier-02 token to dlow for when he'll be back in that Tier.

Good luck all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FrUnit7 wrote:
rawlinpa wrote:

Indeed! But you were still very lucky in our 16 turns match, isn't it?

Whatever the results of my other matches, this division will be my last participation in XTL. If allowed, I bequeath my unused Tier-02 token to dlow for when he'll be back in that Tier.

Good luck all!

Thanks for participating Frank!

If you ever get the itch to return to the competition, your spot in whichever tier you depart from will be held indefinitely waiting for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Low
Australia
Canberra BC
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FrUnit7 wrote:
If allowed, I bequeath my unused Tier-02 token to dlow for when he'll be back in that Tier.

Cheers - but I reckon it will be a museum piece by that time! And I couldn't use another man's token (!); so instead you should frame it and display it, with one of those little red hammers next to it... devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biggs Larkdighter
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So does rawlingpa get two tokens now? He probably deserves it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously, this did not go quite as planned, or rather, happened much quicker than anticipated. A player winning a division who already holds a token is supposed to initiate the start of promotions into the next tier, Tier-04 in this case...

With Frank going on hold, Klemp or Homer taking relegation, and rawlinpa promoting up, we'll be left waiting for 3 players from below before the next wave here would start.

Div-009 launched today
Div-010 will run live tonight
Div-011 could start as early as tomorrow

More than that, with no other players having tokens to redeem as relegation saves, it will mean every division here will definitely have a relegate, and thus it will require 2 divisions below to complete to back-fill this tier.

We can certainly go down this route - stuff up here at the top will simply move a bit slower, which is not inherently a bad thing.

I am, however, open to figuring out if there is another way for this to work; I am open to suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Rawlinson
msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, sorry about that.

First of all, I am very appreciative of your time and effort Adam into running something like this, so I am really fine with whatever you decide. I think it makes the most sense for me to stay in Tier-3 as the number of players and what tiers they are in makes this the most practical thing to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think for now, this is the way to go. We'll see if rawlinpa can go three in a row. Sending invites for the next division now, format is still TBD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

| Division-002: Gunship #01
| Format: VW-BF

Maddam
Zingy
rawlinpa**
Darklighter
Matney
Klemp

T03|D002 - Challonge Page

Complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Division-002: Gunship

Matney is the division champion, earning a token and remaining in this tier.

Maddam takes the relegation spot, returning to Tier-02.

Darklighter, Zingy, Klemp, and rawlinpa all return to the Tier-03 queue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

| Division-003: Patrol Mech #01

Matney*
Darklighter
SilentAl
Zingy
Klemp
younggbg

T03|D003 - Challonge Page

Complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Division-003: Patrol Mech #01

There is an un-resolvable tie for promotion necessitating playoff games.
Darklighter v. Klemp v. Matney

On the other end, younggbg takes the relegation to Tier-02.

SilentAl and Zingy return to the Tier-03 queue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a side note, should Matney win the tiebreaker round, Tier-04 will be unlocked, both Matney AND rawlinpa would be removed from rotation here.

Tier-02 below has gotten to the point of having 2 full divisions running concurrently, and can now support the growth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, i request to be on stand by until 19 June, i will get married on this saturday and will be on honeymoon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.