Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Tokaido» Forums » General

Subject: Deluxe edition board - misprint? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
msg tools
Does the Deluxe edition currently on Amazon and Walmart have any misprints on the board? I thought I remember reading before the holidays about a misprint or error on the larger board, but I can't remember what it was now. Can anyone confirm?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not aware of any misprints, you can search the forums here and under the collectors edition though to be sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
That's weird. I could swear I either read something or heard something in a Youtube video review about a mistake on the larger board. Now I can't remember what it was or where I saw it. I think that might have been one of the reasons I originally went with the standard edition - after hearing that I didn't want to deal with a misprint on the board.

Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought for sure I heard something about a mistake on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't remember anything either. Surely no error on my collector's edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serena Johnson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly yes. There is misprint on the board. BUT ONLY on the collector's edition board. It's the space for amulet cards. Also the back of the amulet cards. They misprinted (mirrored) the Japanese word for "amulet".It's not a big deal for people who don't know Japanese or Chinese. But for people who do know these two lanaguages, it's an eye sore!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerad Clark
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
first I've heard of this .... interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
geekyu wrote:
Sadly yes. There is misprint on the board. BUT ONLY on the collector's edition board. It's the space for amulet cards. Also the back of the amulet cards. They misprinted (mirrored) the Japanese word for "amulet".It's not a big deal for people who don't know Japanese or Chinese. But for people who do know these two lanaguages, it's an eye sore!!!

Ah, I knew I had read something about a misprint. Thanks for the confirmation and explanation. I thought the Collector's edition and the Deluxe edition used the same board? Did they correct it for the deluxe edition?

So if I buy the retail deluxe edition with the larger board from Amazon or Walmart it won't have the misprint on the board or the cards?

And since you seem to be really familiar with the versions, are the deluxe edition cards any thinner or flimsier than the standard edition? Somebody said elsewhere that the cards were much flimsier than in the standard edition. Just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serena Johnson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rilos wrote:
geekyu wrote:

Ah, I knew I had read something about a misprint. Thanks for the confirmation and explanation. I thought the Collector's edition and the Deluxe edition used the same board? Did they correct it for the deluxe edition?

So if I buy the retail deluxe edition with the larger board from Amazon or Walmart it won't have the misprint on the board or the cards?

And since you seem to be really familiar with the versions, are the deluxe edition cards any thinner or flimsier than the standard edition? Somebody said elsewhere that the cards were much flimsier than in the standard edition. Just curious.

I wish I had the answer for you. But I don't have the deluxe version, so I couldn't tell. If the deluxe version use the same boards from the same print as the collector's edition, I'll say it probably has the same misprint.

Below is the image of the misprint on the game board and the back of the amulet cards.

The correct one. (Just flip the image)

Regarding to the card quality, I do feel that cards from the standard games are better than the collector's edition. But like someone else said on the forum before, once you sleeves the cards, you can't feel the difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Thanks for linking to those comparison images. At least it's not an issue that in any way hurts the playability of the game for me and my girlfriend, since we don't know Japanese anyways. It is annoying, and it's a shame it wasn't corrected (if that ends up being the case), but I was afraid it would have been something more glaring, like a wrong bit of information printed on the board, or something important being left off by mistake. This I can live with.

I actually ordered the deluxe edition as an upgrade for my girlfriend to give to her for Christmas, since she likes the base game. Of course since Christmas is still many months from now I'll be opening it now just to make sure there's no damage or incorrect/missing pieces. So I'll report back later just to give an update on the board/cards.

I'm guessing it'll be the same board as the collector's edition, because it wouldn't make any sense that they would make a separate deluxe edition board, unless they specifically wanted to make the correction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Okay, so just an update. I received the deluxe edition form Amazon, and it does have the misprint. So they apparently never bothered fixing the issue, and the Deluxe board uses the same exact board as the Collector's edition.

I haven't checked the cards for quality because they are currently sealed tight and since it's going to be a gift I'll leave those sealed. The rest of the components are intact and accounted for so I'll cross my fingers and hope the decks are complete.

There was a couple of minor smudges on the board, but I'm not going to worry about it because considering it came form Amazon, I'm lucky it arrived in such good condition. It's so big they actually shipped it in a box for once! It's a non-issue for most people I would think. I'm probably the only one that will ever notice it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serena Johnson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update. I was curious about whether they would fix the misprint of the deluxe version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
I checked and I did notice the cards are a bit different from the standard edition. The card backs no longer have borders, so the art appears a bit larger in general as a result. The art is revamped a bit here and there - lots of the backgrounds have been tweaked and adjusted. One thing I definitely noticed is the color is much more vibrant on the newer cards. The colors really pop compared to the standard cards. I haven't compared the expansion cards to the standard expansion pack so I don't know how the colors compare to the standalone expansion, but the base set of cards are definitely noticeable. However, the cards do feel a bit thinner than ever. They never were very thick cards and now they seem even a bit thinner. It's not too much of a concern, but if anything the cards should have been thicker, not thinner. Still, the new art and more vibrant colors do make them stand out.

It's too bad they didn't see fit to fix the misprint on the board. That's really not cool. To me it just looks like a pretty symbol since I can't read Japanese but to those who can I imagine it must be very annoying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.