Popular Tags: flgs [+] seattle [+] [View All]
Wilhelm Fitzpatrick
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A brand new friendly local game store has cropped at the top of the hill in the Queen Anne neighborhood of Seattle. It's called Blue Highway Games, and they were open for the first time today. They are starting off with a pretty good selection of Euros of all weights, as well as traditional games. There was even copies of Paths of Glory and Europe Engulfed on the shelves. No RPG stuff, but I don't think that's their focus.

They seem to be pushing the "games for families" angle, which I frankly think is great. When I walked in, there were several kids in the 10-12 age bracket running around excitedly.

It's a great, airy open space, and the best thing is at the back of the store they've got a large two level open gaming space. They seem to have plans to run lots of events and generally expose the public to the joys of boardgaming.

If you happen to be a Seattlite, or visiting Seattle, I'd suggest checking them out. Note, I'm not affiliated with these guys in any way, I'm just excited to see a new store opening, especially one that seems to be oriented toward the general public, yet without seeming to shrink from the "high end" of the hobby.

http://bluehighwaygames.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
yuk Great! Seattle NEEDS another "FLGS" like I need a "Farstucks" up my ASS!... and I don't! shake
oh, but we already have '3' of those damm "Farstucks" places HERE, with yet some other "3rd World" coffee stop about to be 'hell spawned' just around the corner from where I'm at, and a 3rd "Mazatlan" place, like we really needed yet another ONE! since we lost 2 "Pizza" places already, but that's right on schedule with the "Business Plans" of the "Chamber of Commerce" where we LOSE 2 and gain yet another kind that we don't even NEED more of! GAWD I hate this 'place'! Kurt Cobain, I can sympathize on your reasonings for loathing now...
angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
Aw, GROG, you know what you need? A nice warm cup of comfort, brewed from real brazilian Cuzaclaqua beans, just kissed with the early summer sun. Take a deep snoot of that eye-opening aroma, and you'll be reminded of the bright, sunny mornings of your youth, with plans of fort-building and hoop-rolling forming in your innocent mind. There. How's that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Consider joining and posting this in the Seattle area guild:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/42

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
Aw, GROG, you know what you need? A nice warm cup of comfort, brewed from real brazilian Cuzaclaqua beans, just kissed with the early summer sun. Take a deep snoot of that eye-opening aroma, and you'll be reminded of the bright, sunny mornings of your youth, with plans of fort-building and hoop-rolling forming in your innocent mind. There. How's that?

...as long as it's fair trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilhelm Fitzpatrick
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EvilTimmy wrote:
Consider joining and posting this in the Seattle area guild:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/42

Done and done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I'll second the BHG plug.

Tons of games, nicely laid out, and organized well. At least six tables for play with a large library planned.

Not just the usual thirty gift store games, they have Twilight Struggle, Caylus, Runebound, Deluxe Kill Dr. Lucky, On the Underground, etc.

For non-gamer friends and spouses, it is a store they can walk into and feel comfortable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Buergel
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Given that the Game Wizards, Fire & Sword and various CCG focused places have all closed their doors in the recent past, a new game store is certainly more than welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Halekakis
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
I'll second the BHG plug.

Tons of games, nicely laid out, and organized well. At least six tables for play with a large library planned.

Not just the usual thirty gift store games, they have Twilight Struggle, Caylus, Runebound, Deluxe Kill Dr. Lucky, On the Underground, etc.

For non-gamer friends and spouses, it is a store they can walk into and feel comfortable.

I'll third that plug. Really nice store, and within dangerous two-minute walking distance of my house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Where on Queen Anne?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
OK, that's it!

The Queen Anne Gamer's Society is formed here and now!

Please post here with any times this weekend that you might be free.

Let's try to meet there at a time that works for the critical mass and break in those nice gaming tables.

- Jonathan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
It is next to Cafe Lladro (upper Queen Anne). Ravenna Gardens is on the other side (soon to become a Peets). That will make three coffee shops at that corner (*bucks, Tully's & Peet's)!

It is one block north of Safeway/Noah's Bagels/Jamba Juice.

The street address is 2203 Queen Anne Ave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
grandslam wrote:
Let's try to meet there at a time that works for the critical mass and break in those nice gaming tables.

Has anyone confirmed that those tables in the store are available for open gaming? (Is there a charge?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Tim and others,

I stopped by and talked to the fantastically nice owners, Scott and Brian. They do not charge for tables. They are not sure what rules they will have in the future (bringing your own games, how they want to work their library, etc.), but they are OK with us meeting there Saturday or Sunday afternoon, so long as we understand that the rules that apply this weekend might need to change.

- Jonathan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
grandslam wrote:
they are OK with us meeting there Saturday or Sunday afternoon, so long as we understand that the rules that apply this weekend might need to change.

Roger that we are a 'go' for the pants-optional first meeting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I moved the get-together planning for this weekend to the Seattle Guild: