Hide
10 Posts

Tokaido» Forums » General

Subject: Sleeves - are there sleeves that fit closer? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
msg tools
Hi,

I'm looking for sleeves to fit the Tokaido cards. I'm new to sleeves. I'm interested in the Mayday sleeves (MDG-7035) mini-euro, as they seem to be very popular. I have been reading that the premium Mayday sleeves end up being a problem for fitting the cards in the box.

One thing I noticed though is the fit seems to be a bit loose from what I've been reading. I hear that there are are sleeves that are made to fit closer. I see Mayday makes one called "perfect fit" but they don't seem to make it available in euro-size unless I'm mistaken.

Can anybody recommend a closer-fitting mini-euro sleeve for these cards, or is the standard Mayday MDG-7035 the best fitting?

EDIT: According to starlitcitadel's guide to sleeves, here's what they say about Mayday:

Quality: Poor. Mayday Standard sleeves have frequent quality issues, with sleeves being unclear (slightly “dirty” in look), slightly sticky while shuffling, or cut to the wrong size (up to 3mm bigger or smaller than their listed dimensions).

Hmm. How do Ultimate Guard sleeves compare?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
I'm looking at the Ultimate Guard since they seem to rate highly for quality and consistency, but I can't find out what the thickness is. Does anyone know? All it says on their site is "Sleeve thickness optimized for gameplay". whatever that means. I'm afraid if they're too thick the cards won't fit in the box. Does anyone know the thickness of these sleeves or how well they fit these cards?

EDIT:

I found a pdf on their site:

SUPREME SLEEVES - Card sleeves with ideal fit and extra high clearness. Material thickness: 115 microns

PREMIUM SOFT SLEEVES - Soft card sleeves with high gauge, regular fit and high clearness. Material thickness: 50 microns

It sounds like the Premium soft sleeves by Ultimate Guard might be the ideal choice, as they are about the same thickness as the Mayday but seem higher quality with better consistency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Fantasy Flight Games sleeves when I can, Mayday or SwanAsia when necessary. It's worth noting that I will only get the thicker (~100micron) sleeves for my games, in some situations the thinner sleeves feel very cheap. Fantasy Flight doesn't offer varied thickness, but I'm happy with whatever theirs are.

Here's the Sleeving Geeklist which has size recommendations for games and feedback on sleeves.

Scroll through and look for recommendations on Tokaido
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/164572/card-sleeve-sizes-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
What do people do for Tokaido using premium sleeves? I hear the premium sleevs are too thick to fit the cards back in the box in their proper spots. It sounds like a headache trying to find a place to store the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used Ultra-Pro 44x68mm sleeves for my copy of Tokaido. This is not a game where cards get shuffled and handled a lot, just once during setup and remain on the table all the time, so the sleeve quality is not all that important in the end, just get ones that fit well.

The insert, while beautiful, barely holds all the cards before sleeving them, and after sleeving you can still put some of the cards in their original place if you get close-fitting sleeves, but with the added thickness they will overflow that square niche and you won't be able to put the board on top. You either have to get a little creative with your stacking skills (store some of the cards on top of the board), or modify/ditch the insert.

And after you buy one or both of the expansions there's no longer an option because all those extra cards and character tiles won't fit in, even without any sleeves.

I didn't want to get rid of the insert because it looks so nice despite its simplicity (and later lack of functionality), so I took some measurements, grabbed a good pair of scissors and cut a strip of about an inch from all around the insert's sides (the "skirt" that raises it from the bottom of the box) so it sits a bit lower in the box and leaves more space on the top. Then I put the coins, meeples and small tokens in the central niche, then the board in the middle and everything else (manuals, decks, and character tiles) in small baggies on top of the board. This lets me keep all the compoinents and both expansions on the base box, and also helps a lot during setup by keeping all those individual decks separated rather than clumped together on the same space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
What's frustrating is all the wasted empty space in the insert that easily could have had another entire space or two carved out for future expansion cards or room for spilling the sleeved cards into. They know some people sleeve their cards, especially when they are flimsy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
If the quality of the sleeves aren't that important for this game due to how relatively infrequent the cards are handled, do the standard Mayday sleeves allow all the sleeved cards to fit in the insert, or would even the thin standard Mayday sleeves cause the cards to spill over?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can still fit them if you use very thin sleeves, because the ones I used are on the thicker side and I didn't have to modify the insert and start bagging until much later (when I got Crossroads). But they will definitely not fit after adding any of the expansions, it was not designed with more components in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Thank you. I might go with the thin standard Mayday sleeves then for this particular game since the cards won't be going through too much abuse. Out of curiosity, do you know if there's more room for the thicker sleeves in the Deluxe Edition insert, or do we run into the same issue?

I know the standard Mayday sleeves get bad reviews (thin/cheap/inconsistent), but if they are the only ones that allow me to fit the cards in the insert without becoming a project, then I guess I might give them a try. I have no experience with sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
I ended up getting a 4-pack of the standard Mayday sleeves, and I'm very disappointed. There was a total of 400 sleeves which should have been plenty for Tokaido and both expansions and several other games, but I'd say 2/3 are unusable - full of folds and creases. The ones that aren't creased are adequate enough - they're thin but that's why I bought them - to fit in the insert.

It's a tight fit but they do fit. I worry a bit that they are packed in the insert so tightly. Especially the panoramics - they have square corners but the inserts are rounded and barely allow for the cards to fit without sleeves - in fact without sleeves the panoramics still have to be crammed in the insert, potentially folding the corners of the bottom couple cards. I don't know if the sleeves help protect them a bit against this or make it worse.

The sleeves are also all over the place in size - each pack was cut differently. There was several millimeters difference at the top between some packs. The sides were a good fit. I bought them from a 3rd party dealer new from Amazon. What are the chances Mayday will send out some replacements for me? After all, it's their manufacturing to blame, not the seller.

I wouldn't recommend the standard sleeves to anyone unless they have no choice due to poor insert design. With thicker sleeves there's no way the Tokaido cards would have fit back in the insert. Extremely annoying because it wouldn't have been that hard to make the wells 15% deeper and a few extra millimeters wider to accommodate them sleeved. Heck, even non-sleeved they need a bit more room than they were given.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.