Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Mansions of Madness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Season of the Witch + "Wrong Turn" Mythos question (possible spoiler) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone. So, I'm not sure if this could be considered a spoiler since I'm talking about something that is in the setup of the scenario and a simple Mythos card, but we are better safe than sorry, so here it goes:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Scenario Setup asks us to create 2 different maps, the one where heroes start and the "otherworld", where monsters spawn. Eventually, investigators will find a way to get to the Otherworld, and scenarios special setup says that these are considered 2 separate maps.

"Wrong Turn" mythos card asks the investigator in a Hallway to test Intellect, and if he/she fails, then The Keeper may move you to any other space in a Hallway that contains no Exploration, Lock, or Obstacle cards.

The question is: If an investigator is in a Hallway on the first map while they are not able to access the Otherworld yet, can the Keeper use this Mythos to send this investigator to the Hallway on the Otherworld?

This is something that came up in my last game while I was the keeper. I tried to do this to place the investigator that was holding the key to the Otherworld directly in the Otherworld, where he would be received by lots of monsters and, most importantly, he would not be able to open the door to the Otherworld before the event deck said so. This would be my best chance of winning the scenario, but my group of investigators was saying that I couldn't do that because the other map was not 'a thing' yet, they were saying that since they could not reach it, it was not a part of the map. (and it really isn't, it is a different map), while I was arguing that the card doesn't make any mention to the hallway being on the same map or not.

Long story short, since all the investigators were against me, I followed their ruling and I just moved this investigator one space back in the same Hallway he was in. I didn't have much chance of winning because they got to the Otherworld too soon and I didn't have that many monsters over there yet.

So, would any of you guys say that I could place him in the other map Hallway?

Thanks ahead for all your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Holmstrom
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I doubt there is a rule either way. But I would play it how you did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
The Otherworld already exists and is part of the map. It's all one map, even if it's not a single connected component. It's even been relevant to the game already, since that's where you summon Shoggoths before you teleport them to the investigators.

The intent behind Wrong Turn is that the "that contains no Exploration, Lock, or Obstacle cards" clause will prevent the keeper from sending investigators somewhere they haven't been yet, since typically every room is seeded with at least one of those cards and won't be empty unless the players have already explored it. If Season of the Witch is typical in that respect, you won't have anywhere in the Otherworld you can legally send them. But if one of the Otherworld rooms has no seeded cards (which from context I assume it does, and it's been long enough that I can't remember), then sending an investigator there early is legal as far as the rules are concerned.

However, while that may be the official answer, this is clearly the answer that leads to the worst gameplay. Permanently breaking the clue chain like that with a single card makes the scenario unable to function properly, and leaves the investigators with little recourse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.