Artem Safarov
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Check out Unbroken: solo game of survival and revenge.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone. I am looking for playtesters for a solo game I have created and this seems to be the perfect place for it.

Unbroken is a solo card game focusing on survival in a dark fantasy setting. It tells the tale of an unfortunate adventurer whose party got wiped out by monsters. Alone, wounded and without any equipment the player has to overcome the dangers of the monster-infested tunnels and make it out alive.

Here are some of the monsters the player gets to encounter:

Once you learn the game each play takes 15-20 min. There is a full print and play available.

The game has been in development for about half a year and is now ready for public blind playtesting. I aim to bring it to Kickstarter towards the end of 2017. Before that I hope to enter the game into the 2017 Solitaire Print and Play Contest here on BGG.

Would truly appreciate anyone willing to make a Print and Play and give it a whirl. Full instructions available at http://altemagames.com/unbroken/playtesting/

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Manson
France
Istres
Bouches du Rhone
flag msg tools
badge
Files downloaded and ready to be printed!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My Turn Yet?
United States
Kirkland
WA
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="My Turn Yet?
badge
30 Days, 0 plays
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give it a shot tonight when I get home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right up my alley. In fact, the premise sounds like a short story I recently wrote (it's not yet published, so no, not saying you stole it, just a funny coincidence )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Safarov
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Thomas that is pretty awesome. I would love to read your short story whenever it's available. I've already wracked myself with guesses whether it will have a happy or a brutally unhappy end
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Ribera
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the description/theme already have me excited! Downloading the rules asap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
badge
mb
looks interesting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dugas
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Downloaded. Hopefully will be able to get to this in the next few days.

Love the artwork. One immediate suggestion...I like the font for the headings on the cards except for the letter h, which looks kinda' like an s to me. It's the only letter that isn't easily readable in that font.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Safarov
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chris. Appreciate the Canadian support

The font used for headers in the print and play is very much temporary and falls under the category of "coolest thing I was able to find in default PowerPoint fonts". I also really dislike the "H" there, but the final one will be much more readable (it will be closer to the font used for the "Unbroken" that appears on page 1 of the Print and Play).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christiaan Meijer
Netherlands
Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Cookson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have printed the rules booklet, and will hopefully have the cards set up shortly. This looks pretty interesting, and I am looking forward to trying it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kladan wrote:
... Before that I hope to enter the game into the 2017 Solitaire Print and Play Contest here on BGG.

You may run afoul of the contest rules... Here's from last year's rules:

Quote:
Contest Rules
Important Dates
Earliest Date for Games to be Publicly Available: June 01, 2016
Entry Deadline to get volunteer feedback before the Voting Phase: June 19, 2016
Entry Deadline: July 31st, 2016 11:59 PM BGG Time (CST)
Typo Corrections Deadline: August 14, 2016 11:59 PM BGG Time (CST)
Voting Page Available: September 03, 2016
Voting Deadline: September 11, 2016 11:59 PM BGG Time (CST)
Volunteer Feedback Deadline Phase 1: July 10, 2016
Volunteer Feedback Deadline Phase 2: August 21, 2016

Explanation of Contest Dates
Earliest Date for Games to be Publicly Available
This is the earliest date that a game can be made available online and still be eligible for the contest. New games that are going to be entered in the contest may not be made available publicly for download on BGG or other websites prior to June 01, 2016. The purpose of this is prevent some designers from getting months or years of public feedback while others get much less. This also keeps the focus of the contest on new games rather than old designs.

Games released before this date may be entered as “Second Edition” games.

So by doing this thread now, you put yourself in the "Second Edition" group..

HOWEVER- I don't know what's in store for this year... I say with the interest expressed here, keep going regardless of the contest! (I have the game too and have started to print it out...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Safarov
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Eric Thank you for pointing this out, I really appreciate it.

I will need to find a way on how to best take this into account - likely by submitting as a Second Edition. While the contest means a lot to me, getting the playtesting going earlier was a higher priority as the game certainly exists outside of the scope of the contest alone.

Congratulations on your win as the top playtester
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kladan wrote:
I will need to find a way on how to best take this into account - likely by submitting as a Second Edition. While the contest means a lot to me, getting the playtesting going earlier was a higher priority as the game certainly exists outside of the scope of the contest alone.

SMART.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glenn f

Maryland
msg tools

consider me a tester! I love stuff like this. Do you have twitter?

Mine is @gamesandbourbon. Ill keep you up to date there via pm in addition to the website.

Thanks for the chance. looks fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks interesting, hope you don't run afoul of anyone by using artwork from existing games (you may have to put placeholders in before you can submit it for pnp contests).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks pretty interesting. Not sure I'll have time to cut it up tonight, but I did have one quick rules question. Why does it say to reset the time track to 0 after a monster fight? Looks like the time track just keeps going up, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Safarov
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Dave S - thank you! Look forward to your impressions. The art for the game is in progress of being created so I hope to be able to replace the placeholders with actual Unbroken art assets over a couple of months. Certainly if anyone would have an issue with me using an image I would remove it immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Safarov
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Jonathan - thank you for finding time to create a PnP whenever you get to it. The time tracker starts at 0 each Level (some effects may shift it both ways but 0 is the default). Level 1 consists of 7 Time, Level 2 of 12 Time etc. If you just keep going then Level 2 will only consist of 5 time and it will not be enough to prepare yourself for Combat. I hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested. Need to find the time to print and assemble it then actually play it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kladan wrote:
@Jonathan - thank you for finding time to create a PnP whenever you get to it. The time tracker starts at 0 each Level (some effects may shift it both ways but 0 is the default). Level 1 consists of 7 Time, Level 2 of 12 Time etc. If you just keep going then Level 2 will only consist of 5 time and it will not be enough to prepare yourself for Combat. I hope this helps.

Ah, I get it. In that case, I don't think the rules make it clear that their is a different skull for each level. IIRC, there are 4 skulls on the time tracker, but the rules only say go to a skull. Or perhaps they say go to the skull equal to the next level?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Got 1/2 a game in. Interesting. Still needs work, but that's why you put this up...

My version:

Zero issue: What else do I need to play? I think I counted 11 markers of some sort and 1 d6. If those requirements are in the rules, I missed them.

First issue: How much time do the General Actions take up? I saw it referenced, but never the amount of time.

Speaking of time, I was ambushed by the Were-Rat. It says I suffer a 4 time penalty. That part I got. After resetting to 0, I just went ahead and put the marker on 4. The reward for killing the Rat includes 2 more time icons. Since I saw this as a reward, I DEDUCTED 2 time- moving it from 4 to 2. If that's what it really is, consider putting a minus "-" before the time icons, or some other representation. If do "lose" two more time, that's not really much of a reward...

Since I picked up the Afraid condition, I played that I had to travel and could not rest as stated on the card. Yes? And I now play to the "12" marker on the time tracker?

I had no food after fighting the Rat, so I took the 1 SE penalty.

Next issue: How can I "make change" from a Large Effort down? In other words, if I have 2 Large Effort and 1 SE, shouldn't I be able to change some of the LE back down to ME and/or SE?

I managed to trick my way past the Troglodyte. No reward, but I could keep going.

And that's where I end. No reason, just got tired. The flowchart really helped- I wasn't looking at it after a while.

Final issue. Powerpoint? I ended up printing the monster cards 2 to a page. It's not bad, but it may be more work than you want to deal with. And no, this really isn't an issue. Use what you want to make your game.

I think you've got a really good start. I sure hope the other folks that chimed in on this thread come up with their playtests. I'm not one to go out and look at/for games on facebook, twitter, other websites, etc. If it isn't maintained somewhat here in BGG (updated links are fine) I'm not likely to keep up with it. But that's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Safarov
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this, Eric. Much appreciated. Responses below.

Quote:
Zero issue: What else do I need to play? I think I counted 11 markers of some sort and 1 d6. If those requirements are in the rules, I missed them.

I had the instructions for components on the testing site (http://altemagames.com/unbroken/playtesting/) but I guess it makes sense to keep these in the main rules during the public playtest.

Quote:
First issue: How much time do the General Actions take up? I saw it referenced, but never the amount of time.

General Actions take no time. It would seem to make sense to highlight this in the rules as this is a reasonable question to come up.

Quote:
Speaking of time, I was ambushed by the Were-Rat. It says I suffer a 4 time penalty. That part I got. After resetting to 0, I just went ahead and put the marker on 4. The reward for killing the Rat includes 2 more time icons. Since I saw this as a reward, I DEDUCTED 2 time- moving it from 4 to 2. If that's what it really is, consider putting a minus "-" before the time icons, or some other representation. If do "lose" two more time, that's not really much of a reward...

You did everything right. I considered using the terms "penalty" and "bonus" to clarify these applications of Time - would that make sense? Or a plus/minus sign would suffice?

Quote:
Since I picked up the Afraid condition, I played that I had to travel and could not rest as stated on the card. Yes? And I now play to the "12" marker on the time tracker?

Correct.

Quote:
I had no food after fighting the Rat, so I took the 1 SE penalty.

Correct.

Quote:
Next issue: How can I "make change" from a Large Effort down? In other words, if I have 2 Large Effort and 1 SE, shouldn't I be able to change some of the LE back down to ME and/or SE?

Currently you can't. Large Effort is meant to represent the effort it takes to perform heroic feats and is not easily "dissipated" into the stamina and physical well-being that Small Effort represents, unless an encounter presents itself to help. Mechanics-wise - it's not advisable to work yourself up into epic frenzy (obtain Large Effort) when you are risking collapsing from exhaustion (running out of Small Effort).

Quote:
I managed to trick my way past the Troglodyte. No reward, but I could keep going.

Tricking the Troglodyte is smart, she is a tough lady to fight straight on.

Quote:
Final issue. Powerpoint? I ended up printing the monster cards 2 to a page. It's not bad, but it may be more work than you want to deal with. And no, this really isn't an issue. Use what you want to make your game.

I've been hearing this feedback from a few testers. I think the next version I'll produce will have compacted monster cards. And PowerPoint is just my drafting tool of choice. At some point people who are far more design-savvy than me take over and it will all look infinitely better.

Quote:
I think you've got a really good start. I sure hope the other folks that chimed in on this thread come up with their playtests. I'm not one to go out and look at/for games on facebook, twitter, other websites, etc. If it isn't maintained somewhat here in BGG (updated links are fine) I'm not likely to keep up with it. But that's just me.

Thank you. The issue I ran in to is that the requirements for accepting a game into BGG database seems to be a finalized ruleset, while Unbroken is still being tweaked. I think I will try to submit it because I would love to have a centralized location for feedback/updates on the most authoritative board game portal - hopefully that will create a good place for testers to discuss their impressions / results.

thanks again for testing and posting your feedback, Eric - much appreciated! Would you mind if I share your photo on social media? Any channels you'd like me to tag to attribute credit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YM C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw Darkest Dungeon Hero Art style
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Safarov
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good eye! Indeed, the current portrait placeholders are from Darkest Dungeon. There is no game I can think of that better expresses the gloom and despair I'm trying to convey. The placeholder art is being phased out as our own art is completed. For example around 60% of monster art in the current version are unique to Unbroken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.