Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This bug has been driving me nuts for years and years, and I've finally got around to posting here about it. I'm amazed it's never been noticed!

If you visit BGG on an iOS device, you have to press the 'next' subscribed item button (in the top left, to the right of the BGG logo) TWICE in succession for it to work.

One press doesn't work. And you have to be careful to press it cleanly and one press after the other too, or you may never know what that next subscribed item was ...

As an aside, when the BGG home page redesign is finally launched, I really hope these tiny buttons are much bigger so they can be easily pressed on mobile devices.

Keep up the amazing work! Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Pushing a lesbian old growth union-approved agenda since '94.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a touch interface iOS bug / harmful feature. Basically, the first press displays the button alt text and the second is handled. On a desktop you get the alt text on hover, so only one click is needed. You could fix this by not having alt text, but then you are breaking the interface for sight impaired users. A better fix would be to take the alt text off the word 'Next', since it is already a text element.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, interesting. In all my web surfing on the iPad I've never noticed this problem before. Does that mean that other sites aren't using alt text, or some other reason?

In any case, pressing it twice is a real interface problem; there must be some kind of solution that's best for all. I agree, if necessary let's take the alt text off if the text is right next to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This has happened to me many times. It's gotten so bad that I just go to the list of subscribed articles and click on each one individually going back to the list each time.

Can you disable alt text from showing in the iOS settings?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Pushing a lesbian old growth union-approved agenda since '94.
mbmbmbmbmb
I vaguely remember that if you use the title attribute instead of the alt attribute you get tooltips without the touchscreen issue. Not sure if that's true in current browsers / devices, but it's worth investigating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baker
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone from the BGG team acknowledged this issue? I run into it constantly when using Chrome on my iPhone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And sometimes it needs to be pressed 3 times somehow.
Typically only twice...
and now and then, a single press will work.

Because it isn't consistent, this is a particularly annoying bug... which is compounded by the fact that subscriptions are not back-button friendly.

If you could just see the last subscription you looked at, all would be good... but even when you have the paid feature to see the viewed items, they are by category, not date triggered

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selamat pagi,
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
The first tap displays the alt-text.

The second tap is a query whether you accept cookies.

The third tap waits to see if you swipe left-up to change the font to Garamond.

The solution is to throw away every mobile device.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baker
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this could be solved with touch-action: manipulation?

References:
1300ms tap delay, gone away
2More Responsive Tapping on iOS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.