10 Posts

The Arab-Israeli Wars» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Scenario S-2 Abu Agheila rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Schultz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Four showed for play of Arab-Israeli Wars (AIW), the ultimate and most refined version of the venerable Panzerblitz system. AIW has better artillery rules, revised lower movement factors, split fire and move option for selected tanks, and morale for recovery from dispersal. Advanced game brings in helicopters, smoke, jets, mounted infantry combat, the Suez Canal and more. It is a well crafted package that every gamer should try. 

With four players we set up two simultaneous side-by-side games of scenario S-2 Abu Agheila, a 1967 Israeli - Egyptian action. The Egyptians have a dug in infantry brigade with improved positions and minefields defending across a single desert map backed by a reserve armored brigade (mostly WWII Russian left over T34s and Su100s). The Israeli's must penetrate this line with a combined arms armor-infantry brigade (sporting up gunned WWII Shermans and WWII halftracks) and exit units off the Egyptian rear area. What makes this scenario so cool is that the Israelis have a flanking armored battalion with killer Centurion tanks that enters the map in the Egyptian backfield. The Israeli's have the firepower and position to run amok but time is short, only ten turns to drive the length of Mapboard B.

In our play both games had a furious backfield tank battle develop among the sand dunes. In the first match, the Centurions cleaned up, in the second the Centurions were slowly whittled away. Meanwhile, in both actions, the Israeli combined arms brigade assaulted the dug in Egyptians with mixed results.

The Israeli assault troops approach the Egyptian fortifications

Centurions run amok in the Egyptian rear

Centurions fend off the Egyptian armor hordes

Losses begin to mount for both sides

In one game the line held firm and was not penetrated at game end. In the second a breach was achieved but too late to allow the Israeli's to exploit and exit. We scored, based upon exit and casualties, one Israeli and one Egyptian win.

It was super fun to play this classic again, even better having two games of the same scenario going on side-by-side to compare how the action progressed on each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a fine game and it has stood the test of time better than most. Thanks for shining a light on it again.

I think AIW would be a good candidate for a graphic remake with a few tweaks but not many changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would also be good to create scenarios and counters for the Indo-Pakistani Wars 1947, 1965, & 1971 and the Indo-Red Chinese War of ... well, I can't remember the exact year.

And I'm sure someone will wish counters and scenarios for the Russo-Afghan War and the Iran-Iraq War, though who would want to play these when you'd hope all sides lost I couldn't imagine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Millard
United States
St Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AIW remakes
Cundiff wrote:
It would also be good to create scenarios and counters for the Indo-Pakistani Wars 1947, 1965, & 1971 and the Indo-Red Chinese War of ... well, I can't remember the exact year.

And I'm sure someone will wish counters and scenarios for the Russo-Afghan War and the Iran-Iraq War, though who would want to play these when you'd hope all sides lost I couldn't imagine.

That has been done to some degree, at least privately.

I am not sure that the rules set is suitable for post-1982 AIW scenarios [maybe post 1990 elsewhere, e.g. Iran/Iraq], due to continuing evolution of armor/anti-armor tech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not seen any of the AIW scenarios for those events. And for the few scenarios occuring beyond 1982 (Afghanistan) and Iran-Iraq, none of the equipment used was brand new at the time. Thus, the technology used was no different than that used in the latest and greatest AIW scenarios.

Certainly none of the India-Pakistan-Red China events post dated 1982.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Millard
United States
St Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cundiff wrote:
I've not seen any of the AIW scenarios for those events.

If you hang around here long enough you just might... ????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been hoping so for some years and periodically remind people of the possibilities of the AIW system in other conflicts, but no one seems to have the resources to design scenarios or even the correct OOB's or TOE's. I once found a rare book printed in India about the 1965 and 71 wars, but it was horribly expensive and existed only in India. It's saving grace was that it was printed in English. With the basic information being so expensive, it's not likely we will see these topics make an appearance. It's been what ...? 39 years and still no scenarios on these topics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McConnell
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Armored Combat: It's all about position and getting the first shot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cundiff wrote:
I've been hoping so for some years and periodically remind people of the possibilities of the AIW system in other conflicts, but no one seems to have the resources to design scenarios or even the correct OOB's or TOE's. I once found a rare book printed in India about the 1965 and 71 wars, but it was horribly expensive and existed only in India. It's saving grace was that it was printed in English. With the basic information being so expensive, it's not likely we will see these topics make an appearance. It's been what ...? 39 years and still no scenarios on these topics.

Tom, part of the problem may be lack of interest in so-called "exotic" conflicts. But the Indo-Pakistani and Iran-Iraq wars are certainly better documented than most. Anthony Cordesman (yes, the television talking-head!) and Abraham Wagner wrote a three volume history/study of modern warfare, with the Iran-Iraq War in volume 2, which I think is particularly good: https://csis-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/legacy_files/...

I hope this helps. Cheers!

Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Johnson
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing S-2 as we speak . . . Part of a 50th Anniversary commemorative project re: Six-Day War on www.Beastsofwar.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McConnell
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Armored Combat: It's all about position and getting the first shot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oriskany wrote:
Playing S-2 as we speak . . . Part of a 50th Anniversary commemorative project re: Six-Day War on www.Beastsofwar.com

James, maybe you would be interested in designing scenarios for the Indo-Pakistani Wars? ;-)

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.