Subject: Published Ogre rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wolf90 (Drew)
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone!

In addition to all the other Ogre tasks, I'm trying to put together as complete a list as I can of publications with something related to Ogre within their pages. Obviously there are the many articles in the Space Gamer, and a few in Pyramid. I know of at least a half dozen others, but I wanted to put this out to Ogre fans everywhere - where and when has Ogre graced the pages of a magazine?

I'm looking for anything published pertaining to Ogre - reviews, strategy articles, scenarios (love those!), variants, etc. If someone published it and it relates to Ogre in anyway, let me know. My goal is to have one consolidated listing, to facilitate players reading about Ogre as they will.

How obscure can we get? I'd love to know if anyone has something that I've not uncovered on my own. I'll fess up if you surprise me! But I do have some unusual ones!

Drew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragon magazine #64 "Ogre roars back onto the scene". Previews SJG (not Metagaming) black box editions. The edition that turned me on to Ogre. I owned that issue. When I was a kid Dragon mag was one of the best things ever.

https://annarchive.com/files/Drmg064.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Kenny Dorham || Trompeta Toccata || Whistle Stop || Una Mas
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wolf90 wrote:
My goal is to have one consolidated listing, to facilitate players reading about Ogre as they will.

That process is already well underway - see the Community Wiki section on the game page. I can't think of a better place for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wolf90 (Drew)
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
That process is already well underway - see the Community Wiki section on the game page. I can't think of a better place for it.

There are many more out there! But yes, this is an ideal spot for the list.

D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wolf90 wrote:
In addition to all the other Ogre tasks, I'm trying to put together as complete a list as I can of publications with something related to Ogre within their pages.

There have been two editions of The Ogre Book, both from SJG. It is a collection of TSG articles about the boardgame. There was also Scenario Book 1.

Then there were the miniatures rules, which was a third book and I don't know how many editions it went through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure I've got all the Space Gamer mentions added. The others not so much. Just added No 64 and No 11 of Dragon to the page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wolf90 wrote:
Hi everyone!

In addition to all the other Ogre tasks, I'm trying to put together as complete a list as I can of publications with something related to Ogre within their pages. Obviously there are the many articles in the Space Gamer, and a few in Pyramid. I know of at least a half dozen others, but I wanted to put this out to Ogre fans everywhere - where and when has Ogre graced the pages of a magazine?

I'm looking for anything published pertaining to Ogre - reviews, strategy articles, scenarios (love those!), variants, etc. If someone published it and it relates to Ogre in anyway, let me know. My goal is to have one consolidated listing, to facilitate players reading about Ogre as they will.

Drew

Drew,
Are you also interested in letters to the magazine with Ogre/GEV comments (i.e., not articles)? (I have not put those on the Community Wiki, but could probably so that for TSG)

Are you interested in other side mentions? (for instance, Vindicator Magazine Issue 1-2 in 1996 had an article talking about Metagaming Combat Systems, but the only mention of Ogre was in the context of being one of the games that used a CRT instead of some other method and had zero other Ogre content)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wolf90 (Drew)
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I guess it depends upon each article.

Regarding "Ogre/GEV comments", I'm not sure I know what you mean. Certainly the "Ask the Ogre" Q&A from the old Pyramid magazines would count, as it directly impacts the game (even if only for a previous edition).

Your example about the Metagaming Combat Systems I think I'd leave off, in that the reference is truly only in passing, and not anything pertaining to Ogre itself.

Thanks for helping out!

D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.