Recommend
210 
 Thumb up
 Hide
239 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: My Little Scythe - a My Little Pony remake of Scythe for the whole family rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
Do what you love for someone you love. =)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Olaf, you can now review the pre-release rulebook and draft map here. This is also the site where you'll be able to download the game in a few weeks.

https://sites.google.com/view/mylittlescythe/home
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hobychou wrote:
Well here goes nothing--the 1st draft of the pre-release rules is ready for review and feedback!

A special thanks to everyone offering your assistance with this little project. Can't wait for your feedback.

https://sites.google.com/view/mylittlescythe/home


Awesome! Not much adjustments needed from what I see in a first read through. One textual remark and one rules question:
- Textual: You use the words die and dice in an inconsistent way for both singular and plural
- Rules question: If a quest is added to an area that already holds a pony, does the pony automatically fulfill that quest?
I assume not, as it specifies elsewhere that quests on areas where pie fights take place are awarded to the winner of the fight.
If not indeed, does that pony have to take a move action next turn to pick up the quest? And is moving 0 spaces allowed then?

Great job on the rulebook!! Most commercial rulebooks leave more questions unanswered.
Cant wait for the rest of the print and play content to be posted!

Oh and one component question... how did you make that pie fight dial? (that looks just like the scythe ones, but purple... fitting)
3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
Do what you love for someone you love. =)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Olafslomp wrote:
hobychou wrote:
Well here goes nothing--the 1st draft of the pre-release rules is ready for review and feedback!

A special thanks to everyone offering your assistance with this little project. Can't wait for your feedback.

https://sites.google.com/view/mylittlescythe/home


Awesome! Not much adjustments needed from what I see in a first read through. One textual remark and one rules question:
- Textual: You use the words die and dice in an inconsistent way for both singular and plural
- Rules question: If a quest is added to an area that already holds a pony, does the pony automatically fulfill that quest?
I assume not, as it specifies elsewhere that quests on areas where pie fights take place are awarded to the winner of the fight.
If not indeed, does that pony have to take a move action next turn to pick up the quest? And is moving 0 spaces allowed then?

Great job on the rulebook!! Most commercial rulebooks leave more questions unanswered.
Cant wait for the rest of the print and play content to be posted!

Oh and one component question... how did you make that pie fight dial? (that looks just like the scythe ones, but purple... fitting)


Olaf that was lightning quick! Thank you so much. Because of your quick feedback I've now posted version 0.2 with your revisions.

-searched and replaced all references of 'die' to 'dice'. English is hard!
-clarified rules around the quests. basically if a player starts a turn with a quest turning up on a hex they occupy, they simply resolve the quest before selecting their usual action.
-correct, ponies do NOT have to move. in fact, there's a simple rule where while a different action must be CHOSEN each turn, it does not necessarily have to be taken. For example I can choose to bake pies, but end up doing nothing. (just like my real life)

As for the dial I plan to post a few crafting tips. The button that holds the cardboard together is taken from none other than a set of Brooks race bib buttons. A running store may carry them as they're used to secure bibs onto runners' shirts. (as opposed to using safety pins) Alternatively there are some simply solutions from craft stores.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I know English is hard (not my native language either) but easier than German or French at least

Your fixes were very fast too (and thanks for the rule clarification, it makes sense that way, so I like it)

Two things still (sorry):
- The picture on the top of page two als contains die and dice (your text search and replace didnt take care of that one)
- The bottom line of your section on quests is not visible anymore due to the added clarification at the start of that text

Oh, and a new one: you don't mention the ponies as playing pieces, maybe obvious, but still...

Those bib buttons sound interesting, will check them out!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
Do what you love for someone you love. =)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Olafslomp wrote:
I know English is hard (not my native language either) but easier than German or French at least

Your fixes were very fast too (and thanks for the rule clarification, it makes sense that way, so I like it)

Two things still (sorry):
- The picture on the top of page two als contains die and dice (your text search and replace didnt take care of that one)
- The bottom line of your section on quests is not visible anymore due to the added clarification at the start of that text

Oh, and a new one: you don't mention the ponies as playing pieces, maybe obvious, but still...

Those bib buttons sound interesting, will check them out!


....aaaand now we're at version 0.3.

I added a few corrections of my own too. Thank you Olaf! The benefits of a fresh set of eyes are obvious. Can't wait to tell my daughter when she wakes up that 'Olaf' helped her daddy out.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"The snowman?"

Perfect now as far as I can tell (but a review by somebody who has never played Scythe wouldnt hurt, as things that are obvious only after playing Scythe I may have missed)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Olafslomp wrote:
"The snowman?"

Perfect now as far as I can tell (but a review by somebody who has never played Scythe wouldnt hurt, as things that are obvious only after playing Scythe I may have missed)


I've never played, watched videos, read anything about it other than to know it exists. So I'm all in on reviewing later today.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's Tabletop Day so I won't get to touch this until tomorrow. Looks like there are already some fixes so that's great. Keep up the good work!

Actually, I don't think we want people that know how to play to read this. This should be a blind read-through. If you can't understand how to play from these rules, then they are bad. Someone who already knows how to play will just skew that.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stormseeker75 wrote:
It's Tabletop Day so I won't get to touch this until tomorrow. Looks like there are already some fixes so that's great. Keep up the good work!

Actually, I don't think we want people that know how to play to read this. This should be a blind read-through. If you can't understand how to play from these rules, then they are bad. Someone who already knows how to play will just skew that.


That's a weird assumption. I for one didn't suggest any changes to phrasing of rules, except for clarifying one place about an item that doesnt exist in Scythe (the adding of new quests) so nothing got skewed. I have played Scythe more than ten times.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is so cool!

I couldn't quite figure out if there's plans to print this game?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Naizea wrote:
This is so cool!

I couldn't quite figure out if there's plans to print this game?


Nope, it will be a free self print and play
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lewis
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you consider putting it up on something like game crafter (or as least map and cards) so they can be printed better than I can manage at home?

Obviously would need Stonemier Games approval etc but....
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
Do what you love for someone you love. =)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stormseeker75 wrote:
It's Tabletop Day so I won't get to touch this until tomorrow. Looks like there are already some fixes so that's great. Keep up the good work!

Actually, I don't think we want people that know how to play to read this. This should be a blind read-through. If you can't understand how to play from these rules, then they are bad. Someone who already knows how to play will just skew that.


The good thing is, the rules have become differentiated enough from Scythe that it hopefully provides a refreshing enough read. (except for combat)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
Do what you love for someone you love. =)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
elberon wrote:
Would you consider putting it up on something like game crafter (or as least map and cards) so they can be printed better than I can manage at home?

Obviously would need Stonemier Games approval etc but....


Thanks for the suggestion Chris--I'll look into it. But even with my own copy I've gone no further than a local print shop. Any office/print shop that accepts file uploads can print the files for you, often within the same day. The UK has Print Express I believe.

I did nerd out and pay for some nice card stock though. For just a bit more they will even do all the cutting for you, mount on foam, and laminate.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hobychou wrote:
Well here goes nothing--the 1st draft of the pre-release rules is ready for review and feedback!

A special thanks to everyone offering your assistance with this little project. Can't wait for your feedback.

https://sites.google.com/view/mylittlescythe/home

Wow, well done. Since you said you were having difficulty I wasn't expecting it to be this good. Here are a few points I was slightly confused on.

How do you use the pie fight dial? From the picture it doesn't look like it has an arrow or anything that identifies which number you've selected. I assume this will be obvious to me when I get the files to print.

In step 4 of the pie fight it says. "The winner with the score wins, with ties going to the attacker." Perhaps this could be worded a little differently. Something like, "The player with the highest score (number of pies + magic spell values) is the winner, with ties going to the attacker."

On the first page it mentions all the game pieces, but it doesn't mention the dice or player boards. Not a big deal, but I do like it when that lists everything.

Similarly I love it when a rulebook includes a picture of the game all setup. Perhaps you could tweak that first page to include the player boards, each player having 1 magic spell, etc.

Again all of these are very minor. Great job!
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
elberon wrote:
Would you consider putting it up on something like game crafter (or as least map and cards) so they can be printed better than I can manage at home?

Obviously would need Stonemier Games approval etc but....


All he'd need to do is call it something besides My Little Scythe. Call it My Little Kingdom or something. (Unless he's also using the word Scythe in the game itself, rulebook, etc... Change those too).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
Do what you love for someone you love. =)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fortyfive wrote:
hobychou wrote:
Well here goes nothing--the 1st draft of the pre-release rules is ready for review and feedback!

A special thanks to everyone offering your assistance with this little project. Can't wait for your feedback.

https://sites.google.com/view/mylittlescythe/home

Wow, well done. Since you said you were having difficulty I wasn't expecting it to be this good. Here are a few points I was slightly confused on.

How do you use the pie fight dial? From the picture it doesn't look like it has an arrow or anything that identifies which number you've selected. I assume this will be obvious to me when I get the files to print.

In step 4 of the pie fight it says. "The winner with the score wins, with ties going to the attacker." Perhaps this could be worded a little differently. Something like, "The player with the highest score (number of pies + magic spell values) is the winner, with ties going to the attacker."

On the first page it mentions all the game pieces, but it doesn't mention the dice or player boards. Not a big deal, but I do like it when that lists everything.

Similarly I love it when a rulebook includes a picture of the game all setup. Perhaps you could tweak that first page to include the player boards, each player having 1 magic spell, etc.

Again all of these are very minor. Great job!


Great feedback there Josh and good catch on the typo...which I typo'ed while fixing another typo. doh!

I hear you there on the board setup. I'm trying my best to fit everything on 4 pages--this means you can fit the rules on a single sheet of 11X17 folded in half. However, I wouldn't want to compromise on rules clarity either.

I've committed the mortal sin of adding the board setup on the 1st page without directly addressing every last component yet. As you can see the player boards are blurred into the background, giving focus to the main board. Let's see how that works...

We're now on version 0.4 thanks to you!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Posted comments in one of the review threads. Looks great!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brookhart
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
My wife and I (huge fans of Scythe) and 4 your old daughter (huge fan of My Little Pony) just watched the video. The first words out of my daughter's mouth were, "That girl is so beautiful." Her next words were, "CAN WE PLAY THIS GAME?"

Fantastic job, and such a clever idea. We are all looking forward to it.

Thank-you for sharing.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
Do what you love for someone you love. =)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zmikers wrote:
My wife and I (huge fans of Scythe) and 4 your old daughter (huge fan of My Little Pony) just watched the video. The first words out of my daughter's mouth were, "That girl is so beautiful." Her next words were, "CAN WE PLAY THIS GAME?"

Fantastic job, and such a clever idea. We are all looking forward to it.

Thank-you for sharing.


Thanks for your kind comments! Looks like your family's the perfect fit for this game. I look forward to hearing about how this plays with your family.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Olafslomp wrote:
stormseeker75 wrote:
It's Tabletop Day so I won't get to touch this until tomorrow. Looks like there are already some fixes so that's great. Keep up the good work!

Actually, I don't think we want people that know how to play to read this. This should be a blind read-through. If you can't understand how to play from these rules, then they are bad. Someone who already knows how to play will just skew that.


That's a weird assumption. I for one didn't suggest any changes to phrasing of rules, except for clarifying one place about an item that doesnt exist in Scythe (the adding of new quests) so nothing got skewed. I have played Scythe more than ten times.


Settle down, buddy. And no, it's not a weird assumption to make. You see this all the time in games that get published without a true blind test of the rules. It's easy for someone that knows how to play something to gloss over ambiguous spots because they already know how it's supposed to work.

But hey, it sounds like you're an expert so you go ahead and have fun with that.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl McLaurine
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget to list this (Absolutely ADORABLE) reskin under the Scythe game, so people can find it...

Also, your little one needs to have a "Game Designer" BGG entry! laugh
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stormseeker75 wrote:
Olafslomp wrote:
stormseeker75 wrote:
It's Tabletop Day so I won't get to touch this until tomorrow. Looks like there are already some fixes so that's great. Keep up the good work!

Actually, I don't think we want people that know how to play to read this. This should be a blind read-through. If you can't understand how to play from these rules, then they are bad. Someone who already knows how to play will just skew that.


That's a weird assumption. I for one didn't suggest any changes to phrasing of rules, except for clarifying one place about an item that doesnt exist in Scythe (the adding of new quests) so nothing got skewed. I have played Scythe more than ten times.


Settle down, buddy. And no, it's not a weird assumption to make. You see this all the time in games that get published without a true blind test of the rules. It's easy for someone that knows how to play something to gloss over ambiguous spots because they already know how it's supposed to work.

But hey, it sounds like you're an expert so you go ahead and have fun with that.


I wasnt disagreeing that it's smart to have somebody do a blind test, I actually advised that. I disagreed with the other part (the part that says "I don't think we want people that know how to play to read this").
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
Do what you love for someone you love. =)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Omega wrote:
Don't forget to list this (Absolutely ADORABLE) reskin under the Scythe game, so people can find it...

Also, your little one needs to have a "Game Designer" BGG entry! laugh


Thanks Daryl. Those both sound like great ideas. I admit that I'm no power user of BGG. How does one list this variant under Scythe? Did you mean adding it to the BGG game database? If so then I've already submitted it. I guess it takes time to review.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm picking up the book with the ponies today. My daughter actually has the book, but she has lost a few of the ponies. When you post everything are you going to include what you used for the magnetic bases? I saw you posted the info about the pie fight dials.

Thanks again. My kids and I are super excited about this!

EDIT: After re-reading the forum I see you already posted that. Now I need to find the wooden bases and magnets.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.