Recommend
210 
 Thumb up
 Hide
239 Posts
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [10] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: My Little Scythe - a My Little Pony remake of Scythe for the whole family rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
Do what you love for someone you love. =)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fortyfive wrote:
I'm picking up the book with the ponies today. My daughter actually has the book, but she has lost a few of the ponies. When you post everything are you going to include what you used for the magnetic bases? I saw you posted the info about the pie fight dials.

Thanks again. My kids and I are super excited about this!

EDIT: After re-reading the forum I see you already posted that. Now I need to find the wooden bases and magnets.


Hi Josh,

Very excited to hear that I'll soon be seeing our game enjoyed by even more families. I can help you with the other items:

The rare earth magnets are made by a company called Primal Horizons. You can actually find them in most hobby shops that sell miniatures. Really dedicated painters embed them into their minis in order to easily attach guns & other accessories. You can also find them on Amazon. I'd recommend getting the one that comes with the drill bit unless you're 100% certain about the sizing. If you can, manually drill the holes into the bases and insert magnets. (always keep polarity in mind!) Then i just covered with a putty pencil that you'd use to cover holes in your wall. After I painted the bases, they look perfect. You'd need one standard colour for all the ponies and a 4 sets of 3 painted according to team colours. (again, be mindful of polarity of the magnets) If this sounds too tedious, then you can just arbitrarily assign certain ponies to certain teams and just assign permanent coloured bases to them.

As for the wood bases, your best bet are the wooden discs found at a local Michael's. Only $3-4 for a whole pack. They fit these ponies perfectly.

Let me know if you have any other questions Josh!

7 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hobychou wrote:
fortyfive wrote:
I'm picking up the book with the ponies today. My daughter actually has the book, but she has lost a few of the ponies. When you post everything are you going to include what you used for the magnetic bases? I saw you posted the info about the pie fight dials.

Thanks again. My kids and I are super excited about this!

EDIT: After re-reading the forum I see you already posted that. Now I need to find the wooden bases and magnets.


Hi Josh,

Very excited to hear that I'll soon be seeing our game enjoyed by even more families. I can help you with the other items:

The rare earth magnets are made by a company called Primal Horizons. You can actually find them in most hobby shops that sell miniatures. Really dedicated painters embed them into their minis in order to easily attach guns & other accessories. You can also find them on Amazon. I'd recommend getting the one that comes with the drill bit unless you're 100% certain about the sizing. If you can, manually drill the holes into the bases and insert magnets. (always keep polarity in mind!) Then i just covered with a putty pencil that you'd use to cover holes in your wall. After I painted the bases, they look perfect. You'd need one standard colour for all the ponies and a 4 sets of 3 painted according to team colours. (again, be mindful of polarity of the magnets) If this sounds too tedious, then you can just arbitrarily assign certain ponies to certain teams and just assign permanent coloured bases to them.

As for the wood bases, your best bet are the wooden discs found at a local Michael's. Only $3-4 for a whole pack. They fit these ponies perfectly.

Let me know if you have any other questions Josh!



Thanks so much! A few questions.
Did you glue the magnets into the wooden discs? If so what sort of glue did you use. Similarly what sort of glue did you attach the ponies to the wooden bases with?

What did you use for the color coded player wooden bases? They look thicker than than the Michael's link.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl McLaurine
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait a sec...

Wasn't there a push to make My Little Pony Rainbow Magic Game #1 on the BGG Wargame List?

I think we have an actual contender here... whistlelaugh
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lettner
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Black Omega wrote:
Wait a sec...

Wasn't there a push to make My Little Pony Rainbow Magic Game #1 on the BGG Wargame List?

I think we have an actual contender here... whistlelaugh

My daughters like that game so hopefully I get them to like this game!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G BB
Norway
Aalesund
More og Romsdal
flag msg tools
all friends and aquintances will be assimilated (now that they’re stuck at home with their kids *g*)
badge
get in loser we’re going spelunking
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Noooooo this is too cute!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
During my lunch break I went by Michael's and picked up the wooden discs. With the 40% off coupon the were about $2.50. Score! I also went by Barnes and Noble and bought the book with the figures. The My Busy Book series is a gold mine for modding games. They had loads of different books with figures including Disney Princesses, Ninja Turtles, Batman, Mickey, etc.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/my+busy+book?_requestid=6902...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
I have five daughters. I need this game.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
I see the playtime is only 30 minutes. Is the gameplay in this reskin different enough from the gameplay in Scythe for this game to get its own entry in the database?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
Do what you love for someone you love. =)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
I see the playtime is only 30 minutes. Is the gameplay in this reskin different enough from the gameplay in Scythe for this game to get its own entry in the database?


Hi Timothy,

You're absolutely free to decide for yourself, but my biased opinion says it could! I've posted the rules up so anyone can decide for themselves, but the fact that it's only 4 pages probably suggests it's different enough. I would probably describe it as a family variant, rather than a reskin. So if each Catan variant gets a database entry, this may be a candidate too.

And if you have 5 daughters, you don't need a board game--you need a shotgun, dad!

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
Do what you love for someone you love. =)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fortyfive wrote:
During my lunch break I went by Michael's and picked up the wooden discs. With the 40% off coupon the were about $2.50. Score! I also went by Barnes and Noble and bought the book with the figures. The My Busy Book series is a gold mine for modding games. They had loads of different books with figures including Disney Princesses, Ninja Turtles, Batman, Mickey, etc.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/my+busy+book?_requestid=6902...


I totally agree Josh! I'm tempted to buy a few now then shoehorning them into a game later! lol
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stanfill
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting the rulebook. This looks like a lot of fun. My daughter would really enjoy it.

One thing about your website is that you have a piece of IP artwork (Princess Celestia) by the rules download button. I'd recommend removing that to stay under the radar a bit. I'd not want to see your efforts thwarted by a C&D from The Big H.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
erikstanfill wrote:
I'd recommend removing that to stay under the radar a bit. I'd not want to see your efforts thwarted by a C&D from The Big H.


I'm a bit worried about that too. I'm going to get the files as soon as I can. Changing the name from "My Little Pony" to "My Little Scythe" was a good idea. But I still worry that there's a C&D letter right around the corner. Hopefully it arrives after the final files are available. ninja
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
Do what you love for someone you love. =)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
erikstanfill wrote:
I'd recommend removing that to stay under the radar a bit. I'd not want to see your efforts thwarted by a C&D from The Big H.


I'm a bit worried about that too. I'm going to get the files as soon as I can. Changing the name from "My Little Pony" to "My Little Scythe" was a good idea. But I still worry that there's a C&D letter right around the corner. Hopefully it arrives after the final files are available. ninja


I think I'm OK. It's an unofficial project that a 5 year old fan helped put together. We've never had any intention to make money from it and we never will. It also doesn't take a dime away from Hasbro's revenues nor could there be any confusion with official pony products. I'm also 100% willing to cooperate with Hasbro should they have any concerns. The pony theme's really to make my daughter and her fellow kindergarteners happy.

But just in case, I've added some extra wording to the website.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matus G
Slovakia
Prešov
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sorry If I have missed it somewhere, but what is the size of the game board? Thank you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stosedem wrote:
I am sorry If I have missed it somewhere, but what is the size of the game board? Thank you.


As big as you print it
(But there's probably an advised size, that has not been mentioned yet, but you can get a good idea if you look at the video)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
Do what you love for someone you love. =)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stosedem wrote:
I am sorry If I have missed it somewhere, but what is the size of the game board? Thank you.


Hi Matus,

Thanks for your question. My own boards are 71cm X 55cm (28" X 21.5") after the white edges are trimmed. But as Olaf mentions, you can make it as big as you want. I just wouldn't make it any smaller than that.

The easiest thing to do is to print the poster landscape on the standard 61cm X 91cm (24" X 36") poster size.

Hope that helps!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
Do what you love for someone you love. =)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fortyfive wrote:
Thanks so much! A few questions.
Did you glue the magnets into the wooden discs? If so what sort of glue did you use. Similarly what sort of glue did you attach the ponies to the wooden bases with?

What did you use for the color coded player wooden bases? They look thicker than than the Michael's link.


Hi Josh sorry for being a little late with the reply. I for one use a glue called Insta-cure+. But crazy glue or any other glue from a hobby store should work. Just let them know that you're bonding plastic with wood. (as opposed to plastic on plastic)

Very observant with the bases! I use the bases that came packaged with Fantasy Flight's assorted wood tokens pack. I would have loved to recommend this because it provides ALL the pieces I used in the game and more without the painting. Unfortunately it's very hard to find (especially 4 colours) since its now out of print. In my components list I'll be recommending some generic easy-to-find pieces along with the wood bases from Michael's.

edit: however, I did use Michael's wood discs for the standard pony bases. The Fantasy Flight ones were the add-on player bases.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hobychou wrote:
fortyfive wrote:
Thanks so much! A few questions.
Did you glue the magnets into the wooden discs? If so what sort of glue did you use. Similarly what sort of glue did you attach the ponies to the wooden bases with?

What did you use for the color coded player wooden bases? They look thicker than than the Michael's link.


Hi Josh sorry for being a little late with the reply. I for one use a glue called Insta-cure+. But crazy glue or any other glue from a hobby store should work. Just let them know that you're bonding plastic with wood. (as opposed to plastic on plastic)

Very observant with the bases! I use the bases that came packaged with Fantasy Flight's assorted wood tokens pack. I would have loved to recommend this because it provides ALL the pieces I used in the game and more without the painting. Unfortunately it's very hard to find (especially 4 colours) since its now out of print. In my components list I'll be recommending some generic easy-to-find pieces along with the wood bases from Michael's.

edit: however, I did use Michael's wood discs for the standard pony bases. The Fantasy Flight ones were the add-on player bases.

Thanks! I was considering doubling up on the normal bases for the player color bases. I also saw these at Michael's and thought they might work. Wooden wheels.
I look forward to seeing what else you have found.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Rocheleau
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Wow. I was thinking of a way to play Scythe with my 9 years old girl and my 6 years old boy. I think I just found the way. Thanks a lot for this huge work you did. My friend was telling me about the passion and the generosity of the people on BGG. You prove him right. In fact, all these responses to your article prove him right

(And maybe I'll come back to you with a Scythe-related-young-boy-game.)
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matus G
Slovakia
Prešov
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Joe!
Thank you for the answer regarding the board size. I have other question: In preview video there are some game pieces representing wood (I think), but I haven't seen them in the rulebook. I know the rulebook is not finished yet, but will there be wood pieces in the final rules or not? I just want to buy game pieces in advance as I have to order them from abroad.
Thank you for your answer!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
Do what you love for someone you love. =)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stosedem wrote:
Hi Joe!
Thank you for the answer regarding the board size. I have other question: In preview video there are some game pieces representing wood (I think), but I haven't seen them in the rulebook. I know the rulebook is not finished yet, but will there be wood pieces in the final rules or not? I just want to buy game pieces in advance as I have to order them from abroad.
Thank you for your answer!


Very observant! Yes unfortunately I have yet to encourage my little girl to revise the video with the updated cards lol. In the original versions there was wood (used to build buildings like bakeries) but its now just apples and gems.

The best apples i've found are on www.meeplesource.com. As for the gems they're actually at most dollar stores or craft stores. the plastic ones are used for home decor. Hope that helps!

If both are relatively difficult to obtain then you can just use wood cubes.

-Hoby
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Lundsmark
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks awesome. Can't wait to try it with my kids. Already got the book/ponies, discs, and some magnets. Awaiting the actual board file and instructions on how to make it.

Probably a little early to be suggesting variants, especially since this is aimed at kids. But I came up with this today.

You've already got it so players can pick their ponies with the magnet thing. How about special powers depending on what type you choose. For example:

Earth pony: These ponies can move two spaces when carrying apples and gems.
Pegasus pony: These ponies can move three spaces when not carrying anything.
Unicorn pony: These ponies get an automatic +2 to their pie attack when they use a spell scroll.
Spike the Dragon: Each time the move action is chosen, Instead of moving, he can automatically send a gem or apple back to the barn with his teleport breath. Do this four times and you have a delivery. Spike cannot be your first pony choice.
Alicorn Princess: When an Alicorn Princess is chosen, your friendship goes up one automatically.

Have you tried anything like this yet? Not sure how unbalancing this could be. Sincerely,
Chip Lundsmark
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's clearly the first expansion, Chip!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Wong
msg tools
mbmb
Good Game
Very cute~!
I think that can be a good game for my daughter in the future.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
Do what you love for someone you love. =)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JediChipmunk wrote:
You've already got it so players can pick their ponies with the magnet thing. How about special powers depending on what type you choose. Have you tried anything like this yet? Not sure how unbalancing this could be. Sincerely,
Chip Lundsmark


Hi Chris, why yes. In fact we started with a system identical to Scythe where additional ponies gave unique abilities. But as playtesting proves, what you thought would be just awesome may not end up being so loved by your target audience. we had to cut down on the number of elements to manage as it was important that kids and casuals were able to get into this game as quickly as possible. Take a look at the ORIGINAL player mat, which I personally enjoyed. You can even notice placeholders for buildings that upgraded your actions as they got deployed:



ps: at one point I was going to keep both versions as 2 sides of the same board...an option A for younger kids and option B for 10+. But the younger version pretty much took over. Never say never though!
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.