Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
239 Posts
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [10] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: My Little Scythe - a My Little Pony remake of Scythe for the whole family rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
Do what you love for someone you love. =)
mbmbmbmbmb
And this was the optional Nightmare Moon AI 'villian' that I had to shelve. But perhaps she'll return one day...yes as an expansion perhaps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
hobychou wrote:
And this was the optional Nightmare Moon AI 'villian' that I had to shelve. But perhaps she'll return one day...yes as an expansion perhaps!

KS PROMO!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sibley
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hobychou wrote:
JediChipmunk wrote:
You've already got it so players can pick their ponies with the magnet thing. How about special powers depending on what type you choose. Have you tried anything like this yet? Not sure how unbalancing this could be. Sincerely,
Chip Lundsmark

Hi Chris, why yes. In fact we started with a system identical to Scythe where additional ponies gave unique abilities. But as playtesting proves, what you thought would be just awesome may not end up being so loved by your target audience. we had to cut down on the number of elements to manage as it was important that kids and casuals were able to get into this game as quickly as possible. Take a look at the ORIGINAL player mat, which I personally enjoyed. You can even notice placeholders for buildings that upgraded your actions as they got deployed:

ps: at one point I was going to keep both versions as 2 sides of the same board...an option A for younger kids and option B for 10+. But the younger version pretty much took over. Never say never though!

This is awesome and looks like it will very much be a hit in our house! +1 to possibly keeping both versions and the double-sided board. I think having an entry-level, younger-target version and then a slightly more involved version will let the game grow with the family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hobychou wrote:
Hi Josh sorry for being a little late with the reply. I for one use a glue called Insta-cure+. But crazy glue or any other glue from a hobby store should work. Just let them know that you're bonding plastic with wood. (as opposed to plastic on plastic)

Very observant with the bases! I use the bases that came packaged with Fantasy Flight's assorted wood tokens pack. I would have loved to recommend this because it provides ALL the pieces I used in the game and more without the painting. Unfortunately it's very hard to find (especially 4 colours) since its now out of print. In my components list I'll be recommending some generic easy-to-find pieces along with the wood bases from Michael's.

edit: however, I did use Michael's wood discs for the standard pony bases. The Fantasy Flight ones were the add-on player bases.

I was at Lowes and picked up this large wooden dowel to slice into bases. It's 4 feet long so I will have extra to make other things with. It was $6.
Here is a picture with the Michael's wooden disc on top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Lundsmark
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely understand. Better to have a good game that my kids will play with me than a great one that only gets played at the game shop with other hardcore gamers. You are a gentleman and a scholar!
-Chip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Josh: You sir, are a committed father!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

We spent a gorgeous weekend across Vancouver playtesting our game. The girls arranged for a brunch game in downtown while the boys set us up at the mighty Storm Crow Alehouse, the ultimate nerd bar where Scythe happens!

We now have a components list, game map, and version 0.6 of our rulebook on our mini site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Víctor Andrade
Mexico
León de los Aldama
Guanajuato
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
wonderful photos and family
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Wyatt
United States
Stewartstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am super excited about this! You (and/or your daughter) did a fantastic job.
A few questions.

Did you print this on regular poster paper and the glue it onto a poster board or did you have it printed right onto a poster board?

Also, is your board foldable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FluidSpace wrote:
A few questions.

Did you print this on regular poster paper and the glue it onto a poster board or did you have it printed right onto a poster board?

Hi Jonathan, thank you! We printed this on 24X36 poster paper landscape then had it glued onto foam core board. Prior to gluing, we asked our media guy for a favour--to cut the board in half first before gluing it to the printed poster. This allowed us to make the board foldable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FluidSpace wrote:
A few questions.

Thanks for asking this. I was wondering the same thing. However I thought I'd leave him alone until I was ready to print everything (can't wait for all the files!!) since I've been bugging him pretty regularly. Thanks for answering. I've got some foamcore lying around. How handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just re-reading the rule book and had a question about the pie fights. Is there any indication/reminder on the pie fight dials or on the board what happens as a result of the pie fight? If I'm reading the rules correctly the winner of the pie fight gets an achievement and lowers their friendship by 1 and the loser gets a free magic spell card.

I think that's relatively easy to remember, but if I haven't played it in a month or two I might forget. I like the way the search action has a reminder that your friendship goes up 1 (another thing I might forget after a month or two). Again I've never played the original Scythe. Is there a visual representation of battle outcomes in it?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fortyfive wrote:
I was just re-reading the rule book and had a question about the pie fights. Is there any indication/reminder on the pie fight dials or on the board what happens as a result of the pie fight? If I'm reading the rules correctly the winner of the pie fight gets an achievement and lowers their friendship by 1 and the loser gets a free magic spell card.

I think that's relatively easy to remember, but if I haven't played it in a month or two I might forget. I like the way the search action has a reminder that your friendship goes up 1 (another thing I might forget after a month or two). Again I've never played the original Scythe. Is there a visual representation of battle outcomes in it?

Thanks!

Josh that's a great point. Why commit to memory what you don't have to? I'll find a means to put a reminder somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Possible typo. In the quest section of 0.6 rulebook it says "Quest decisions that lower a player’s friendship level below zero are permitted. Friendship will never fall below zero, no matter how much friendship is lost."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question about the "Make" actions. With the "Move" action you get to move each pony. If a player has multiple ponies do they get to "Make" with each pony? My reading of the rules are that you couldn't make different objects on 1 turn i.e. 1 pony makes pies from apples another pony makes scrolls from gems. However I'm uncertain if you had multiple ponies on spaces with apples would each pony get to make pies from the apples on their respective hexes? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fortyfive wrote:
I have a question about the "Make" actions. With the "Move" action you get to move each pony. If a player has multiple ponies do they get to "Make" with each pony? My reading of the rules are that you couldn't make different objects on 1 turn i.e. 1 pony makes pies from apples another pony makes scrolls from gems. However I'm uncertain if you had multiple ponies on spaces with apples would each pony get to make pies from the apples on their respective hexes? Thanks!

That's correct Josh. Notice that unlike Move and Search, each Make action has its own placeholder (the My Little Scythe logo) for the action token, meaning you can perform one specific Make action each turn. Each time you make something, its essentially done as a team (and not by pony). This means to make exactly 1 magic spell, you take 2 gems from any of your ponies who have gems. There's nothing stopping you form alternating Make actions in subsequent turns however, as they're all considered separate actions.

The production limit is meant to keep the game balanced and paced. Otherwise a fortunate haul could result in a player suddenly making multiple pies, spells, and even a pony in one turn.

With that said, the quests could possibly result in some surprises.

Thanks for the great questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you expect the game board to change before you publish all the files? Thanks. If it's not going to change I might try to print and mount it. I'm still holding out hope I can find a copy of Candy Land, or something like that, at a thrift store, and use that board to glue the map to. What type of glue did you use? Standard white Elmer's glue? Did you apply it with a paintbrush or anything? I'm thinking back to my gluing experiences is school and everything looked wobbly and wet from the glue. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard
Poland
Kraków
Małopolska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question. I saw these sleeves at my local comic shop. http://www.ultrapro.com/product_list.php?cPath=70_201

What size are the quest cards, and how many are there? The sleeves are 62mm x 89mm. Obviously I could tweak them a little to make them fit. It looks like the scrolls are tiny hobbit size cards, yes?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantine von Hoffman
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
THIS IS THE GREATEST THING IN THE HISTORY OF EVER.

NO, IT IS EVEN GREATER!

BREAK OUT THE PARTY TANK!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fortyfive wrote:
Another question. I saw these sleeves at my local comic shop. http://www.ultrapro.com/product_list.php?cPath=70_201

What size are the quest cards, and how many are there? The sleeves are 62mm x 89mm. Obviously I could tweak them a little to make them fit. It looks like the scrolls are tiny hobbit size cards, yes?

Thanks!

Hi Josh,

I've recently been seeing those card protectors too and while they would be perfect for this game theme wise, they just wouldn't fit the dimensions of these cards. What you're going to need for the quest cards are sleeves that fit 70mm X 110mm and a pack of 44 X 67mm for the smaller magic spell cards.

Several manufacturers make these, but I'd recommend a pack each of these:
https://www.maydaygames.com/products/lost-cities-card-sleeve...
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/fantasy-fligh...

As far as the board's concerned you can go ahead and get a head start right now if you wish. There's nothing more I plan to change that will impact gameplay. However, I'd like to give a shout out to a few key individuals who made this all possible by embedding a few more easter eggs into this game. Feel free to tell me a character, toy, place, or thing thats near and dear to you or your child's heart and I'll see to it that it makes its way into the game! Just my way of thanking you for all your interest and encouragement Josh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cvonh wrote:
THIS IS THE GREATEST THING IN THE HISTORY OF EVER.

NO, IT IS EVEN GREATER!

BREAK OUT THE PARTY TANK!!!

WITH LASERS!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great father-daughter project!

Adapting an existing game is a good first step to designing an original game together! Don't stop with this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin W
Germany
Wiesbaden
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
mbmbmbmbmb
What an incredible project and what an amazing way to spend time with your daughter. I would love to know what Jamey thinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wi1ky wrote:
What an incredible project and what an amazing way to spend time with your daughter. I would love to know what Jamey thinks.

Thanks for the great comment! As for Jamey he's been incredibly supportive throughout this whole journey. We're very grateful the world has creators like him. He doesn't just make a product, he understands how to nurture a loyal community. I could find all his quotes about this game for you, but instead i find myself wondering why I'm still up at 3:30am enjoying reading posts from Deutschland. I must love this hobby a little to much...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.