Recommend
210 
 Thumb up
 Hide
239 Posts
[1]  Prev «  4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8  Next »  [10] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: My Little Scythe - a My Little Pony remake of Scythe for the whole family rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
Do what you love for someone you love. =)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffinberlin wrote:
What a great father-daughter project!

Adapting an existing game is a good first step to designing an original game together! Don't stop with this!


Thanks Jeffrey. I once told Jamey that my view of gaming completely changed the moment my daughter (who was 3 at the time) outplayed me in a game. I came to realize how much potential there is with kids and gaming, and what a shame it is that they're often left to trivial games that are big on theme but lack any depth. (at least here in North America anyway) It's time to bring everyone back to the games table again!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hobychou wrote:
wi1ky wrote:
What an incredible project and what an amazing way to spend time with your daughter. I would love to know what Jamey thinks.


Thanks for the great comment! As for Jamey he's been incredibly supportive throughout this whole journey. We're very grateful the world has creators like him. He doesn't just make a product, he understands how to nurture a loyal community. I could find all his quotes about this game for you, but instead i find myself wondering why I'm still up at 3:30am enjoying reading posts from Deutschland. I must love this hobby a little to much...



The same reason I'm up at 2 a.m. reading posts from Canada?

And yes, I agree with making games that challenge kids. They can often handle more than we give them credit for. I'm very impressed with how well your daughter explains the game.
3 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
Do what you love for someone you love. =)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffinberlin wrote:
The same reason I'm up at 2 a.m. reading posts from Canada?

And yes, I agree with making games that challenge kids. They can often handle more than we give them credit for. I'm very impressed with how well your daughter explains the game.


We'll see what happens when we finish making the full length "learn to play" video! Another lesson I learned about kids: they're programmed from birth to listen more to other kids than their own parents. Which is why it needs to be Vienna explaining this game to other kids!

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Lundsmark
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
. Feel free to tell me a character, toy, place, or thing thats near and dear to you or your child's heart and I'll see to it that it makes its way into the game! Just my way of thanking you for all your interest and encouragement.


Well I think it goes without saying that Derpy/Muffins, should be in there somewhere, along with Dr Hooves. Same with Cheese Sandwich. (Maybe some Weird Al reference on a cheese sandwich quest card.)
Other ideas.
-Sonic Rainboom
-DJPon3 and Octavia
-Discord and his love of Fluttershy
-Celestia and her habit of just letting the mane 6 take care of something.
-Baked bads
-Pinkie breaking the 4th wall.


Feel free to ask for if you need anything expounded upon or something more specific. Have a good day!
-Chip
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
Do what you love for someone you love. =)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We are now officially in the Board Game Geek database of games! THX everyone!
22 
 Thumb up
2.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hobychou wrote:
We are now officially in the Board Game Geek database of games! THX everyone!


First fan!
(Well second, after you)

Now I need a "My Little Scythe Fan" microbadge
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Williams
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hobychou wrote:
We are now officially in the Board Game Geek database of games! THX everyone!


AWESOME!!!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Szpot
Poland
Rybnik
flag msg tools
Hey look, a pony!
badge
Smile :)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hobychou wrote:
We are now officially in the Board Game Geek database of games! THX everyone!


Entirely deserved. Congrats on the 'Game Designer' badge, too laugh
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hobychou wrote:
We are now officially in the Board Game Geek database of games! THX everyone!

W0000t!

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantine von Hoffman
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hobychou wrote:
jeffinberlin wrote:
What a great father-daughter project!

Adapting an existing game is a good first step to designing an original game together! Don't stop with this!


Thanks Jeffrey. I once told Jamey that my view of gaming completely changed the moment my daughter (who was 3 at the time) outplayed me in a game. I came to realize how much potential there is with kids and gaming, and what a shame it is that they're often left to trivial games that are big on theme but lack any depth. (at least here in North America anyway) It's time to bring everyone back to the games table again!


First time my son beat me at Settlers (I think he was 8) I swore and his eyes lit up with pride.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
Do what you love for someone you love. =)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast #135 just previewed our game! A short and sweet mention of My Little Scythe located at the 49min mark. Thanks for the shout-out Secret Cabal!

http://www.thesecretcabal.com/Home/ArtMID/426/ArticleID/176/...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve e^(iπ)+1=0
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote of the year:

Quote:
narrowly winning through a last minute 'Hail Mary' pie fight


If only all games had this excellent of an experience!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JesterKnot wrote:
Quote of the year:

Quote:
narrowly winning through a last minute 'Hail Mary' pie fight


If only all games had this excellent of an experience!

Sadly, games don't have enough pie fights.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
flaeryn wrote:
JesterKnot wrote:
Quote of the year:

Quote:
narrowly winning through a last minute 'Hail Mary' pie fight


If only all games had this excellent of an experience!

Sadly, games don't have enough pie fights.


FOOD FIGHT: A Game of Scones
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
Do what you love for someone you love. =)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MY LITTLE SCYTHE is now yours to download!

Our family-friendly variant of Scythe has attracted the attention of over 10,000 people since its announcement last month. We have been absolutely blown away by the interest, support, and volunteers from the board gaming community. With lots of love, it’s now ready to be enjoyed in your home.

My daughter has also helped put together a How to Play video for younger players. (and big kids too) Enjoy!

ps: I look forward to seeing many of you at GenCon50!

17 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


I can't wait to see all the builds so I can get some ideas on how I can make my own with, essentially, no PnP skills shake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blarghle Argleargle
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
ps: I look forward to seeing many of you at GenCon50!


Will there be My Little Scythe to play, perhaps?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there goes all your designer credibility. Delivery earlier than promised shake
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
Do what you love for someone you love. =)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Olafslomp wrote:
Well, there goes all your designer credibility. Delivery earlier than promised shake


Hey it's June 1st in Australia. That was my plan the whole time. shake
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
Do what you love for someone you love. =)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Blarghedy wrote:
Quote:
ps: I look forward to seeing many of you at GenCon50!


Will there be My Little Scythe to play, perhaps?


Yes, I'm counting on it! Hopefully it doesn't get destroyed in my luggage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
Do what you love for someone you love. =)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sweetgotham wrote:


I can't wait to see all the builds so I can get some ideas on how I can make my own with, essentially, no PnP skills shake


Found your Easter egg yet? hint: check out the 12 quest cards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hobychou wrote:
sweetgotham wrote:


I can't wait to see all the builds so I can get some ideas on how I can make my own with, essentially, no PnP skills shake


Found your Easter egg yet? hint: check out the 12 quest cards.


I actually looked when you posted the files and I can't zoom in enough to find it cry or is it like super obvious and I am missing it by looking for something less obvious?

YES!!!! OMG. Thank you!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
Looks great!

I noticed that the file MLS-Quest Cards Back.pdf is way bigger than the rest, and discovered there appear to be some Scythe card images hiding underneath the visible ones. Maybe check it out...?

Thanks for this awesome project!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
Do what you love for someone you love. =)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
Looks great!

I noticed that the file MLS-Quest Cards Back.pdf is way bigger than the rest, and discovered there appear to be some Scythe card images hiding underneath the visible ones. Maybe check it out...?

Thanks for this awesome project!


Hi John,

Thanks for letting me know. Would you mind shooting me a private message with where you see Scythe images? There shouldn't be any...

As for the sizing did the backs actually end up way bigger than the fronts when you printed? I can see if I can do something about this..
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoby Chou
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Bonjour & Hello!
badge
Do what you love for someone you love. =)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
Looks great!

I noticed that the file MLS-Quest Cards Back.pdf is way bigger than the rest, and discovered there appear to be some Scythe card images hiding underneath the visible ones. Maybe check it out...?

Thanks for this awesome project!


It should be fixed now. Darn illustrator gave me a tough time during PDF conversion. After fixing it, the file also went from 45mb to a mere 3mb. Much lighter.

Now I just have to apologize to the 300 people who have already downloaded it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.