Subject: "PAX Unplugged" Tickets Now On Sale! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR! (Or ask me about it)
badge
Her Serenity, The Lady of Pain.
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who are interested, "PAX Unplugged" tickets are now on sale: https://www.showclix.com/event/pax-unplugged-2017/ / http://unplugged.paxsite.com/

$60 for a 3-day and $25 for a 1-day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
They don't seem to have put anything on the website yet indicating what this event even is, but they are selling tickets for it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Whitpan
United States
Schwenksville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Better value than WBC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to bggcon but took a look, the queue was about 2 mins of waiting.
They also have a scarf for $25, pins for trading for $30, and online only aluminum dice for $35.

I really really wish this didn't overlap with bggcon, I would have loved to check it out. There's always next year I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmb
I'm vaguely interested but I'm having problems pulling the trigger on an unknown commodity. We have 0 information about publishers being there or any other events. And even though I'm in NYC and this would be the cheapest convention to go to, I still have a proble with paying to play games when I have a wall of them in my own house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven J
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never been to a board game convention. Got my tickets for Saturday. Very excited. Just wish it was during the summer instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark B
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow--that was painless. A sharp contrast to the utter mess that is the Origins event registration. I got my 3 day pass and picked up an overly priced set of dice on a whim (it's the first unplugged, after all).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
I'm vaguely interested but I'm having problems pulling the trigger on an unknown commodity. We have 0 information about publishers being there or any other events. And even though I'm in NYC and this would be the cheapest convention to go to, I still have a proble with paying to play games when I have a wall of them in my own house.

Have you ever been to a con? It isn't just about paying to play game, though the games are certainly a large part!

Getting to see the city itself is a huge part of it for me (why I LOVE gencon and origins, because the area of Indy/Columbus they are located in is amazing for both con).

Meeting new people, seeing them year after year, I have friends that I only get to see at cons now, and I always look forward to it.

I really can't recommend many of the mid to large cons enough, unless you really hate crowds (and even then, there are good options for you).

re: PAX unplugged specifically, I think it is going to be interesting regarding what vendors show up. Last time I checked they hadn't released a list, and it might be hard for publishers to split between bggcon and this con. I would expect that they won't overlap next year, because the PAX brand is huge and that is a ton of people to sell to (and maybe even convert, as the pax brand has always skewed toward video games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anatana wrote:
stevelabny wrote:

Have you ever been to a con? It isn't just about paying to play game, though the games are certainly a large part!

Getting to see the city itself is a huge part of it for me (why I LOVE gencon and origins, because the area of Indy/Columbus they are located in is amazing for both con).

Meeting new people, seeing them year after year, I have friends that I only get to see at cons now, and I always look forward to it.

I really can't recommend many of the mid to large cons enough, unless you really hate crowds (and even then, there are good options for you).

re: PAX unplugged specifically, I think it is going to be interesting regarding what vendors show up. Last time I checked they hadn't released a list, and it might be hard for publishers to split between bggcon and this con. I would expect that they won't overlap next year, because the PAX brand is huge and that is a ton of people to sell to (and maybe even convert, as the pax brand has always skewed toward video games).

For good or bad "Lone Shark Games" will be there in their entirety. I know there are a few other bigger names coming too. I, along with basically everyone else, wishes it wasn't at the same time as BGG.Con but apparently that was the only time they could get or something. It wasn't planned to be at the same time and I assume due to how many people complained about it they won't be at the same time next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
They don't seem to have put anything on the website yet indicating what this event even is, but they are selling tickets for it?

It's a PAX convention, so I assume they think their name will carry the day. Penny Arcade is a pretty big deal in the con world, I think.

Instead of having some tabletop gaming and focusing on video games like PAX East, West and South, Unplugged will be all about boardames.

I'm going. I haven't been to GenCon and I expect this will be in the same vein. Some gaming mixed in with a bunch of hype might be interesting.

It will be a nice change of pace from the WBC and gives me something to look forward to in November. I'm always bummed on that last Sunday of the WBC, but now I've got gaming on the horizon just three months later.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Better value than WBC

It's a totally different convention, so I'm not sure "value" is a helpful metric.

$120 for nine days of non-stop gaming (and a t-shirt) with dedicated GM's and people that actually know the rules to the games is a pretty good value to me. (Lancaster was cheaper, but Seven Springs is still an awesome gaming experience.)

Just like $60 for three days of gaming and industry hype is a pretty good value.

Now, the price of the Philly hotels does suck. I'm paying $500 for two nights there while at Seven Springs, I'm paying $700 for a week in a cabin on-site.

(Last year, I stayed in Somerset and drove 20 min each way. I saved money but the hassle wasn't worth it.)

I think I'll get good value for my money at both. They will be entirely different experiences.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert kircher
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cwhitpan wrote:
Better value than WBC

$100 for 9 days of gaming that I will have scheduled games I would want to play for the entire week. Good deals at an auction and flea market games.....

Let's not jump the gun yet...

Pax is for a different crowd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pope
United States
Bloomfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:
Quote:
Better value than WBC

Now, the price of the Philly hotels does suck. I'm paying $500 for two nights there while at Seven Springs, I'm paying $700 for a week in a cabin on-site.

(Last year, I stayed in Somerset and drove 20 min each way. I saved money but the hassle wasn't worth it.)

I think I'll get good value for my money at both. They will be entirely different experiences.

Kevin

Sounds like you need to cancel that reservation and get on Airbnb. I booked a whole apartment roughly about a 20 minute walk from the convention (5 minute drive) for 8 of us, and I'm paying $90 for the whole weekend. I saw apartments as cheap as $150-200 for the entire weekend and it's an entire apartment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Sounds like you need to cancel that reservation and get on Airbnb. I booked a whole apartment roughly about a 20 minute walk from the convention (5 minute drive) for 8 of us, and I'm paying $90 for the whole weekend. I saw apartments as cheap as $150-200 for the entire weekend and it's an entire apartment.

I'm not really a fan of Airbnb for personal reasons. I'm glad it works for you and others, just not my cup of tea.

$500 is a lot, but it is one weekend out of the year and I'll save up for it.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark B
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:
Quote:
Better value than WBC

It's a totally different convention, so I'm not sure "value" is a helpful metric.

$120 for nine days of non-stop gaming (and a t-shirt) with dedicated GM's and people that actually know the rules to the games is a pretty good value to me. (Lancaster was cheaper, but Seven Springs is still an awesome gaming experience.)

Just like $60 for three days of gaming and industry hype is a pretty good value.

Kevin

I would also suggest looking at hotels along Septa's regional map rail line. The convention center is literally on top of one of the stations, and just 15-20 minutes out the prices go down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin G
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just booked my tickets for PAX Unplugged.

I am a little curious why there is no information about the con available yet. I.e. what kind of game library will be available? How much space will be available for open gaming? What kind of structured events will be going on? Will there by sign-ups for learning games, etc.

I hope this information will follow soon - but I am still excited to see a fairly local con for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgunnz wrote:

I am a little curious why there is no information about the con available yet. I.e. what kind of game library will be available? How much space will be available for open gaming? What kind of structured events will be going on? Will there by sign-ups for learning games, etc.

I hope this information will follow soon - but I am still excited to see a fairly local con for me!

I think a lot of it is still up in the air.

I still have a ticket I'm trying to sell (I bought 4 but will only need 2). If anyone needs 1 more let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgunnz wrote:

I hope this information will follow soon

I'm with you. Being that it's not local to us I've been waiting to hear more before buying tickets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hotel prices are only going to get worse, as this overlaps with the Philly marathon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
Hotel prices are only going to get worse, as this overlaps with the Philly marathon.

They were absurd to begin with. If we go it we'll be using AirBnB or staying over the bridge in NJ at a motel for 1/4 the price of downtown Philly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Calabrese
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
What?
badge
It's a BLOB! He's Horrible and Gelatinous!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what my buddies and I decided to do. Staying in a hotel across the river. The tolls going across the bridge have to be cheaper than staying in a hotel in Philly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
That's what my buddies and I decided to do. Staying in a hotel across the river. The tolls going across the bridge have to be cheaper than staying in a hotel in Philly.

It will work out cheaper for you, no doubt, but maybe not as much as you think when you figure in parking. The hotel I'm staying at wanted to charge $30/day to park in their garage, so I decided to take the bus from Bethlehem.

The other garages in the area are probably on par with that.

With the marathon that weekend, street parking is going to be a nightmare, as is traffic. So, I decided to bite the bullet and stay close just for convenience and peace of mind.

Again, you will save as the hotel is costing me about $500 for the weekend, so even after parking and hassle, you will make out. However, it might not be a good as it seems on first blush when the Ben Franklin is backed up.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, in looking at the route of the marathon, it goes right in front of the convention center. I wonder how that will impact going to and fro.

Are we going to even be able to cross Arch St. to get in? I wonder if the crowds will make it nigh impossible to get over there on Sunday.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Public transportation is decent in Philly. Not the best, but definitely no the worst. Also, the convention center is directly next to a major train stop. I live near a train station about 45 to 60 minutes away so I'll just be commuting in each day (assuming I'm still in the area).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:
You know, in looking at the route of the marathon, it goes right in front of the convention center. I wonder how that will impact going to and fro.

Are we going to even be able to cross Arch St. to get in? I wonder if the crowds will make it nigh impossible to get over there on Sunday.

Kevin
Thanks for asking this. PAX will primarily use the Market St entrance, so this shouldn't be a problem, but certainly plays a factor in determining which is the best/closest hotel.

No info on additional entrances opening up once the morning line is let in, but I think it's safe to assume some re-entry points along Arch will open up. You are always still welcome to use Market, though. And it will be a good idea on Marathon day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.