Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin G
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will there by layouts / maps available? When will we know how the layout will look and how much space there will be for open gaming etc.? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob G
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:
You know, in looking at the route of the marathon, it goes right in front of the convention center. I wonder how that will impact going to and fro.

Are we going to even be able to cross Arch St. to get in? I wonder if the crowds will make it nigh impossible to get over there on Sunday.

Kevin

Not an answer to your question, just an interesting bit on how at least one marathon manages street crossings. (tl;dw - alternate the running route on either side of a central holding pen)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo-Kv6VUlYo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgunnz wrote:
Will there by layouts / maps available? When will we know how the layout will look and how much space there will be for open gaming etc.? Thanks.
There will be a layout and maps, but unfortunately not until much closer to the con. The open gaming area is very large, but I can't say more than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NZ Nick
United States
Medford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will there be a marketplace area where the exhibitors will be selling/advertising their games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, all of the exhibitors listed will have booths containing products for demo and/or sale (likely both)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atom Reid
United States
Pewaukee
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, Is there anything unique about PAX Unplugged? I see that it's expected to be roughly the same size as Origins and will have open gaming and a dealer's hall and a Game Library and.... that's about it. Am I missing anything?

If I can only afford to go to one convention - Origins or Pax - why should I pick Pax?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Off the cuff, if I had to list the areas where PAX would be more appealing than Origins, I would say:
- Ability to play all of the latest Essen releases (more detail coming on this soon)
- Scheduled events and games run by show staff, not demo teams and volunteer attendees. The convention is more focused on open play, so you may prefer an Origins event grid with thousands of events, but PAX brings a smaller schedule run by hundreds of dedicated staff to ensure consistent quality of the events you sign up for.
- Better schedule of panels and presentations (full schedule posted 2-4 weeks prior to con). PAXes always have numerous theaters with professional A/V. They do it better than any other gaming con.
- Better hotel availability and food options in Philly (the North Market is hard to beat, but it will be done)
- No cost for events at the show (rare exceptions like Magic drafts)

There's probably more. And there are certainly areas where Origins exceeds PAX, based on what you are looking for. The CABS library won't be beat by PAXes library, but we also won't be charging admission for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atom Reid
United States
Pewaukee
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the quick response. It's too late for me personally to plan a trip for PAX this year, but I am closely watching to see how this year goes.

I can only afford the time and money to go to one or two gaming conventions per year. This year, I chose Gen con and Geekway, but my friends and I are always willing to try something new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gundabad wrote:
- Better hotel availability and food options in Philly (the North Market is hard to beat, but it will be done)

PAX's convention center is practically across the street from Reading Central Terminal. We'll be able to eat incredibly well with minimal time wasted, imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Tate
United States
Bryn Mawr
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonwocky wrote:
gundabad wrote:

PAX's convention center is practically across the street from Reading Central Terminal. We'll be able to eat incredibly well with minimal time wasted, imo.

Working across the street from the Reading Terminal Market I can tell you to be prepared to wait. On a weekday the lines are lengthy past 11:45am and some of the main spots are cash-only. That being said, some great spots in there, but there are also other options in walking distance -

Chinatown
Loew's Hotel
Marriott

If you are up for a 5-10 minute walk you can hit Old City as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
North Market is nice enough, but RTM beats it hands down, lines and all. Mmmmmmm, DiNic's roast pork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Steal yo
badge
ur face
mbmbmbmbmb
RTM has some amazing vendors, but it will be a mob scene during a con. It's great if you don't mind waiting a long time in crowds to get your food. If you're going to RTM during the con, I'd avoid it during typical lunch and dinner times. Go in between.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Watson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My apologies in advance if I overlook any answer(s) to the question here. I see that there will be events for board game play being run by staff. Will there be a online reservation system where I can reserve a seat at one of those tables for a specific game I would want to play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Silent Geek wrote:
My apologies in advance if I overlook any answer(s) to the question here. I see that there will be events for board game play being run by staff. Will there be a online reservation system where I can reserve a seat at one of those tables for a specific game I would want to play?

Other than the mention of staff possibly running a few scheduled "epic" games it will be focused entirely on open gaming rather than scheduled. (though I personally wish it were otherwise)

If you scroll back someone posted a geeklist that we're being encouraged to use to organize our own games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scheduled gaming also includes tournaments. No online registration. Sign up for events in person, on morning of the event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean B
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also schedule longer games in advance using the Organized Play Geeklist.

Silent Geek wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Stoltzfus
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope they do some concerts.

And they should get Gygax to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James D.
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Does anyone know if there is a second-hand auction planned for PAX? There are quite a few games I would love to contribute.

Need to clear some more room on my shelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Voldemort
United States
flag msg tools
Hey I started the virtual flea market so hopefully we can all get some games off our hands

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/230892/pax-unplugged-virt...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Stoltzfus
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! Now we just need a math trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven J
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any word on when we should expect badges to be mailed out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Pouliot
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
For past PAX conventions that I have attended, they seem to come about a month in advance. So any day now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to be a big day for PAX news, but if you want to get your questions in, there's going to be an AMA with the top folks on r/boardgames at 2PM EST today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kochosky
United States
Plainville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If anyone is still looking for crash space for the weekend - I have a room at the Sleep In Center City on Cherry Street, across the street from the Convention Center (parking next door). It's a single queen bed, but for the right price, I'll bring a sleeping bag and use the couch. PM me for information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Kolczynski
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gundabad wrote:
Going to be a big day for PAX news, but if you want to get your questions in, there's going to be an AMA with the top folks on r/boardgames at 2PM EST today.

From the AMA: schedule will likely be released today.

EDIT: And now posted: http://unplugged.paxsite.com/schedule

Also, per the PAX twitter, they are calling Omegathon contestants this afternoon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.