-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gundabad wrote:
Feedback is 100% desired, but with the convention 1 month away, not much is going to change for 2017.

Thanks for receiving the criticism with such diplomacy and grace Matt. Definitely did not expect to see any major changes made this close to the event. All the feedback was with a view towards future years.

gundabad wrote:
Now back to 2017, it's time to look more closely at one part of PAX with plenty of new releases: the First Look area. This list is about 75% finalized, with some tentative selections we hope to pick up in Essen, but this is also an invitation for community feedback. If the games you want to see aren't here, throw them in the comments of this GeekList.

If myself and others had seen that First Look list before the weekend I doubt I'd have had anything to report in any case. Any perceived deficit in the scheduled events is more than shored up with that very exciting list of games. If the enforcers are able to proficiently teach even half of them I could spend the entire con in that room alone and be completely sated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
NuMystic wrote:
If myself and others had seen that First Look list before the weekend I doubt I'd have had anything to report in any case. Any perceived deficit there was in the scheduled events is more than shored up with that very exciting list of games. If the enforcers are able to proficiently teach even half of them I could spend the entire con in that room alone and be completely sated!

Rest assured, we're working very hard to learn and play as many of those games as possible before the show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
gundabad wrote:
Great Western Trail is out of print

And? Copies were still available at below MSRP as recently as last month. Didn't stop Congress of Gamers from running a tournament for it just 10 days ago.

All the other major cons go to extra lengths to make sure hot new award winners and exceptionally hot titles are well represented especially when they're hard to come by. (as they often are following a big win or runaway success following release)

Congress of Gamers is a different sort of small, local con, where fans often bring and share copies of the hot games they like, supplementing the libraries of our local cons (which often share their libraries.) Still, CoG does make a special effort to provide any "hot" games in our library, at least when they aren't hideously expensive. I'll guess Pax Unplugged has too much going on during their debut to add to complexity by borrowing Congress of Gamers' library for their con, but I'm open to that, although hotel and parking costs have me still on the fence about attending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I see there is registration info for the tournaments, but the stuff in the Main Theatre doesn't say anything about registration.

Are those just general lines? So, if I want to see Acquisitions Inc., for example, I just queue up? I don't have to register?

Thanks,

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'll guess Pax Unplugged has too much going on during their debut to add to complexity by borrowing Congress of Gamers' library for their con, but I'm open to that, although hotel and parking costs have me still on the fence about attending.

It was funny that some of the early threads about scheduling were speculating about PAX wanting to "compete" with BGGcon by having it on the same weekend.

But the real scheduling debacle was having it on the same damn weekend as the Philly Marathon. That's what is driving up the hotel prices, I think.

I'm going this year because it is the first one and we are taking a bus from Bethlehem so I don't have to drive. In the future, though, if it continues to be the same weekend with the same hotel prices, I'll think long and hard about coming again.

I know there are scheduling logistics outside of my understanding, but this weekend just seems to be one weekend you really want to stay away from in terms of trying to bring 1,000's of people into town for a convention on top of 1,000's coming in for a darn race that is going to clog the area right around the convention center and put lodging at a super-premium.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Engelmann wrote:
Congress of Gamers is a different sort of small, local con, where fans often bring and share copies of the hot games they like, supplementing the libraries of our local cons (which often share their libraries.) Still, CoG does make a special effort to provide any "hot" games in our library, at least when they aren't hideously expensive. I'll guess Pax Unplugged has too much going on during their debut to add to complexity by borrowing Congress of Gamers' library for their con, but I'm open to that, although hotel and parking costs have me still on the fence about attending.
Eric, that is a very generous offer! I hope you do find the time to attend at least one day to check out PAX Unplugged. And we may talk prior to 2018 planning if you would like to lend a hand in ensuring we have access to any hard-to-acquire titles.

natsean wrote:
So, I see there is registration info for the tournaments, but the stuff in the Main Theatre doesn't say anything about registration.

Are those just general lines? So, if I want to see Acquisitions Inc., for example, I just queue up? I don't have to register?

That is correct. Each of the theaters have a dedicated line. Specific line locations will be announced once the full convention map is released. Lines can begin forming up to 2 hours prior to any events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If folks would like a look at the Expo Hall floor, those maps have now been posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:
Quote:
I'll guess Pax Unplugged has too much going on during their debut to add to complexity by borrowing Congress of Gamers' library for their con, but I'm open to that, although hotel and parking costs have me still on the fence about attending.

It was funny that some of the early threads about scheduling were speculating about PAX wanting to "compete" with BGGcon by having it on the same weekend.

But the real scheduling debacle was having it on the same damn weekend as the Philly Marathon. That's what is driving up the hotel prices, I think.

I'm going this year because it is the first one and we are taking a bus from Bethlehem so I don't have to drive. In the future, though, if it continues to be the same weekend with the same hotel prices, I'll think long and hard about coming again.

I know there are scheduling logistics outside of my understanding, but this weekend just seems to be one weekend you really want to stay away from in terms of trying to bring 1,000's of people into town for a convention on top of 1,000's coming in for a darn race that is going to clog the area right around the convention center and put lodging at a super-premium.

Kevin
Yeah, this should be taken as further evidence that there was no deliberate targeting of the BGG.CON weekend. It was really a "this is your one shot to start the con in 2017 if you want Philly." And trust me, Philly is going to be an amazing location. Bigger and better things are already underway for 2018 (and on a better weekend, to boot).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Yeah, this should be taken as further evidence that there was no deliberate targeting of the BGG.CON weekend. It was really a "this is your one shot to start the con in 2017 if you want Philly." And trust me, Philly is going to be an amazing location. Bigger and better things are already underway for 2018 (and on a better weekend, to boot).

Oh yeah...I never bought the notion that PAX was trying to divide the hobby or cut in on BGGcon turf.

I've been to Philly a million times. It's a cool city with a cool vibe, for sure, but the streets are horrible for traffic flow and driving, to my Brooklyn mind, is torture. That's why I'm taking a bus from an hour away.

It's going to be a more of a mess on Sunday for sure for both pedestrians and drivers alike.

It's going to work out in the end, but just stuff like finding a cool place to eat without an enormous wait on Saturday night when the runners, fans and families roll in, will be tough.

My plan is Bonchon at the moment.

It will all work out in the end, but I'm glad to hear next year is a different weekend.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
gundabad wrote:
If folks would like a look at the Expo Hall floor, those maps have now been posted.

Very nice. I expect I'll be spending most of my time there on my one-day trip. The one big thing I miss from not attending Origins for a while is browsing all of the booths and talking to the company reps. In fact, I attended the last east coast Origins when they held it in the same location and it was a very nice place. Not so much the surrounding area, but I've heard it has improved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In looking at the schedule, the "show" hours are until midnight. Is this when official stuff shuts down or does it mean the center has to be vacated?

In other words, is round-the-clock open gaming available here or does everything shut down at midnight?

Thanks,

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Lackey" Portney
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The doors will indeed be shut at midnight and the floors will need to be vacated then. There is no 24 hour open gaming in the convention center.

But sleep is good! Breakfast is good! You'll be recharged to return in the morning and feel awesome to tackle the next PAX day when doors open at 10am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But sleep is good! Breakfast is good!

Overrated and for rookies.

I can recharge at work on Monday.

Honestly, gaming until all hours is one of my favorite things to do at game conventions. It so out of the norm that it makes them really special for me.

Sleep a few hours, shower, some peanut butter on toast and I'm good. It's such a short span of time that my body usually recovers when I head home, even if I do it all week at the WBC. (But over the course of the week, I usually call it a night early once or twice. This is only two real nights, so it would have been fun to go until dawn.)

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:
Quote:
But sleep is good! Breakfast is good!

Overrated and for rookies.

I can recharge at work on Monday.

Honestly, gaming until all hours is one of my favorite things to do at game conventions. It so out of the norm that it makes them really special for me.

Sleep a few hours, shower, some peanut butter on toast and I'm good. It's such a short span of time that my body usually recovers when I head home, even if I do it all week at the WBC. (But over the course of the week, I usually call it a night early once or twice. This is only two real nights, so it would have been fun to go until dawn.)

Kevin

I guarantee there will be gaming until dawn in some of the hotel lobbies Kevin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I guarantee there will be gaming until dawn in some of the hotel lobbies Kevin.

Yea...that's what I'm hoping. I know there are "after-party" things at GenCon and I'm thinking some of that will happen here also.

After the center closes, I'm planning on standing on Arch St. with a copy of Scythe, a bottle of Remy Martin, some Q-Tips and velcro. I'm bound to get a game that way, I think.

I was just looking to see if the official venue was open after midnight.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben McClellan
United States
Brunswick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gundabad wrote:

Is there anywhere that shows what streets will be closed for the marathon? From the marathon route, looks like Arch Street will be shut down Sunday morning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark B
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmythesaint wrote:
gundabad wrote:

Is there anywhere that shows what streets will be closed for the marathon? From the marathon route, looks like Arch Street will be shut down Sunday morning.

http://www.philly.com/philly/health/personal-best/philadelph...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
natsean wrote:
But the real scheduling debacle was having it on the same damn weekend as the Philly Marathon.

Ironically, it's perfect for me as my wife is running the marathon. As you see people around that weekend, be sure to play "Boardgamer or Marathoner"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark B
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gundabad wrote:
NuMystic wrote:
What is the "Learn & Play" area? Is there a lis of which games will be featured there?
The full schedule is here (this was obtained by clicking the "filter schedule" button and selecting Learn & Play. Personally, the schedule is so broad I find it preferable to view only when sorting by one category at a time).

Learn & Play is game night in a can. Learn 2 to 3 games in a 2-3hr session, and get to play them all in full. It's 10 tables, each with a full copy of each game being taught. The sessions are hosted by some great folks (Rodney from Watch it Played, Mandi from Dice Tower, Quinns and Matt from SU&SD, etc.) along with a team of PAX Enforcers to help any groups that fall behind. It's a crazy experiment and we hope it will be a unique and fun experience for all involved.

Matt these Learn and Play sessions sound amazing. It looks like there is no registration for them, but I can see the ten table filling up. Will there be a line up for these sessions or did I miss something and can we register at the beginning of the day?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are being treated more like panels and theater content, even though it is a hybrid of that plus actual gaming. So we're going to leave it as no registration, with same rules as a theater panel: line can start as early as 2hrs prior to event. Line will be capped once it reaches capacity, with updates via social media on line status (50% full, 75% full, etc.) when possible.

Going the PAX-style no-registration route for smaller cap events is an experiment. Having a Learn & Play room is another experiment. So you get to experience the joy of being a double guinea pig! All part of the process if we want to make this new con a unique one. We're in Philly for the long haul, so just gonna keep iterating an improving.

Realizing these 40-50 person events may fill up incredibly quickly, we changed the last session of each day to support higher attendance. The Alien Artifacts launch party, the Shut Up & Sit Down open gaming event, and the Family Gaming open house (which we just announced will be run by Ivan Van Norman of Geek & Sundry), will all get 20+ tables.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark B
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gundabad wrote:
These are being treated more like panels and theater content, even though it is a hybrid of that plus actual gaming. So we're going to leave it as no registration, with same rules as a theater panel: line can start as early as 2hrs prior to event. Line will be capped once it reaches capacity, with updates via social media on line status (50% full, 75% full, etc.) when possible.

Going the PAX-style no-registration route for smaller cap events is an experiment. Having a Learn & Play room is another experiment. So you get to experience the joy of being a double guinea pig! All part of the process if we want to make this new con a unique one. We're in Philly for the long haul, so just gonna keep iterating an improving.

Realizing these 40-50 person events may fill up incredibly quickly, we changed the last session of each day to support higher attendance. The Alien Artifacts launch party, the Shut Up & Sit Down open gaming event, and the Family Gaming open house (which we just announced will be run by Ivan Van Norman of Geek & Sundry), will all get 20+ tables.

Thanks, Matt! I love the concept and understand that there way be bumps, but I really appreciate you guys trying some thing new. I think that fact that Dice Camera Action and Garsh Darn Fiasco are at the same time as Alien Artifacts and Acquisitions Inc is the same time as Shut up and Sit Down will help keep things manageable. I know that I am seriously torn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Gentry
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those folks staying downtown (I'm at the Courtyard Marriott), what are you doing about parking on Sunday? I assume when I check out Sunday morning, I won't be able to leave my car at the hotel all day, but with the marathon and street closures, I'm not sure there's a parking garage to be found.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Sat Only tickets are now sold out. Three-day tickets are at "low" availability. If you are on the fence, now's the time to decide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constance C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sitting with 2 minor concerns. I'm hoping we see our paper tickets soon and I'm a bit concerned with finding parking for the one day I'm coming in. Has anyone had any success reserving parking, in the area of the Convention Center, via one of the numerous parking apps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
constancy wrote:
I'm sitting with 2 minor concerns. I'm hoping we see our paper tickets soon and I'm a bit concerned with finding parking for the one day I'm coming in. Has anyone had any success reserving parking, in the area of the Convention Center, via one of the numerous parking apps?

In my experience, Parking Panda is reliable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.