Mark B
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huuuze wrote:
constancy wrote:
I'm sitting with 2 minor concerns. I'm hoping we see our paper tickets soon and I'm a bit concerned with finding parking for the one day I'm coming in. Has anyone had any success reserving parking, in the area of the Convention Center, via one of the numerous parking apps?

In my experience, Parking Panda is reliable.

This is a good suggestion. I would add that, if you are attending on Sunday, it might be worthwhile to consider the Park and Ride options. The convention center is literally on top of Jefferson Station, a SEPTA regional rail shop. You can park outside of downtown and ride in for the day. It's usually pretty easy, but be aware that in the fall sometimes trains are delayed because to wet leaves on the tracks ("slippery rail").

Nathan, I would ask at the hotel if you can pay for an extra day of parking. Some downtown hotels also offer public parking, so they are either larger than they need to be for the hotel or use it that way when the hotel is not full.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm sitting with 2 minor concerns. I'm hoping we see our paper tickets soon and I'm a bit concerned with finding parking for the one day I'm coming in. Has anyone had any success reserving parking, in the area of the Convention Center, via one of the numerous parking apps?

The registration FAQ says badges should arrive a few weeks before the show, so I would think any day now.

My wife goes to Philly for psychology conventions and told me she uses Theparkingspot.com or Expresspark.net. I thought these were just for airport parking but she tells me they have shuttles to different parts of the city with different lots and has used them when staying downtown. You could check them out and see if they work for you.

I chickened out with the whole parking thing and decided to take a bus. The bus tickets were $28 round trip from Bethlehem while the hotel wanted to charge me $35/day to park.

Plus, I have nightmares about parking in Philadelphia. Remember that show Parking Wars from years ago? Yea, that was the Philadelphia Parking Authority. I'd rather not tangle with them on a convention weekend with a marathon to boot. (Get it? "Boot"...the thing they put on your car? That was clever. )

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cherry
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Parking really shouldn't be too big a problem. There are about 10 million parking lots / garages around the Convention Center, all happy to take your money. Really. There's a super big garage they recently built right across Arch Street near Broad. The bigger problem is driving around the area -- all of Chinatown is normally traffic-y, but Arch Street near the Convention Center turns into a real sh$tshow when there's a big convention. I honestly don't think that PAX is going to draw the kind of crowds that the Car show or the Flower Show does, so I'm sure it will be fine. Septa or PATCO public transportation is probably not a bad idea though (get off at Jefferson Station if you use Septa Regional Rail) Uber is surprisingly reasonable. You might want to find a garage that's a little further away that has a good Early Bird special (usually get in before 9Am and leave by like 7pm), like near the Kimmel Center, and hoof it a couple of blocks to the Convention Center. Any way you cut it, I'd plan on spending $20-35 a day on parking if your're going to use a garage. Do a little research if you want to find garages on the cheap end.

Don't even think about street parking, unless you really know the rules on the block you're on (signs are notoriously hard to interpret, if they're even still there and not an empty pole), and are willing to run back every 2-4 hours and feed the meter / ticketing kiosk. Also very very hard to find around the Convention Center or Chinatown, and never free, unless you find one of the few spots on the few streets that don't charge on Sundays.

Sorry to sound kinda negative, but them's the facts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any custom schedulers for PAX? I see the print schedule thing, but is there a way to just choose the events you are interested in and print that out?

Thanks,

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you download the PAX Unplugged app, you can create a custom schedule. There is a web version here which may help with printing: https://guidebook.com/guide/111854/

Tickets just started shipping and should be in mailboxes any day now. This is a bit late by PAX standards but they'll all be there with time to spare. Those who paid for priority shipping started getting them as early as Thursday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome.

Thanks,

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constance C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
constancy wrote:
I'm hoping we see our paper tickets soon...

My passes arrived yesterday, so that's sorted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven J
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my passes yesterday. I'm very excited. This is my first board game convention and I have no clue what to expect.

I'm a little worried I'm going to have to stand on lines a lot which means missing out on other stuff. That's what happened to me at my first comic con.

I'm looking forward to playing some games, looking at the show floor, the SU&SD live podcast, seeing new games and talking to designers(if possible). Maybe checking out a few other panels along the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:
I've been to Philly a million times. It's a cool city with a cool vibe, for sure, but the streets are horrible for traffic flow and driving, to my Brooklyn mind, is torture.

Whoa, didn't know you were from Brooklyn. What neighborhood if you don't mind my asking?

Quote:
It's going to work out in the end, but just stuff like finding a cool place to eat without an enormous wait on Saturday night when the runners, fans and families roll in, will be tough.

My plan is Bonchon at the moment.

Don't know if you know that convention center is right by Reading Terminal Market, which is basically a huge food court. I've only been there once, but I've certainly been hoping that I'd be able to eat there for pretty much every meal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Watson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my pass yesterday!!! Almost all set as I need the buck tickets soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Whoa, didn't know you were from Brooklyn. What neighborhood if you don't mind my asking?

I grew up on E. 41St. between Kings Highway and Flatlands Ave. I moved when I was a teenager, but my stepfather really taught me to drive there. I'm sure everyone has their own take on traffic. Mine is that driving in Brooklyn is aggressive and chaotic but everyone is reading from the same manual.

So, you know when the guy in front of you is just going to stop dead and double park or the bus is going to cut in front of you. It makes sense somehow. Here in PA, people do the same thing, but there is no rhyme or reason to it.

I feel much safer driving in Brooklyn when I go to pick visit sister in Marine Park than I do driving around Bethlehem or Philly. I just don't have the same understanding of traffic.

Quote:
Don't know if you know that convention center is right by Reading Terminal Market, which is basically a huge food court. I've only been there once, but I've certainly been hoping that I'd be able to eat there for pretty much every meal

Yea, but I'm thinking it is going to be so packed as to be impossible to get into to. I'd love to hit up the Cajun Place or DiNics, but the lines, I'm thinking, will make that almost impossible to do in any reasonable amount of time.

I was reading some stuff on the PAX forum about how the Flower Show makes it impossible to get into the Reading Market. I don't think we will have those numbers, but I think it will be super-crowded just the same.

So, I'm hoping to just wander in Chinatown and find something quick and good.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:

So I've already done a little research into what's good and VERY CLOSE. I noted a few things that I'd read were particularly good at these places. Here's what I found...

Reading Terminal Market - Marketplace (about a hundred small restaurants) with limited sit-down seating and it will be mobbed at lunchtime

Cheu – 255 N 10th St, Noodle Bar with delicious dumplings/meats/veggies

Destination Dogs 1111 Walnut St - Pretty much any kind of hotdog under the sun

Field House - Sports Bar, loads of space and being connected to the convention hall, 1150 Filbert St.

Tom’s Dim Sum -59 N 11th St (11-10:30) – soup dumplings

Ting Wong-138 N 10th st (8am-11pm) (Hong Kong style duck, noodles and congee) -roast duck, BBQ pork, moist soy sauce chicken over noodle soup, #35. Side of crispy pig. Beef chow fun

Dim Sum Garden-1020 Race St (10:30-10:30) -crab dumplings, Shanghai shao mai, shrimp dumplings, shredded turnip cakes, chicken on a stick, Shanghai mock duck

Spice C – (10:30-10)131 N 10th St -Sichuan fish soup with hand drawn noodles, chili-dark ma pao tofu, sweet-sauced Asian eggplant

Nan Zhou Hand-drawn Noodle House – 1022 Race St (11-10:30)- Soy sauce pork noodles, meatball soup, coconut curried chicken dumplings, shredded kelp, turnip salads

Vietnamese Restaurant – 221 N 11th St (11-10)-best spring rolls

Vietnamese Palace (11-10)– 222 N 11th St

Bubblefish – 909 Arch St –Sushi (11-1), poke bowls, onigiri, don rice bowls, minced pork over rice, salt-based chicken, bubble tea

Kabuki Sushi – 45 N 13th St (11-11), sushi, bento boxes

Yamitsuki Ramen- 1028 Arch St (11:30am-midnight) -fluffy steamed buns with tender chashu pork

Nine Ting – 926 Race St, 1st fl -all you can eat hot pots or BBQ (noon-1am)

Bar-Ly – 101 N 11th St, American Asian pub, 60 tap beers, (Fri 3-1am, Sat/Sun 11:30-1am)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Kolczynski
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcarvin wrote:
natsean wrote:

So I've already done a little research into what's good and VERY CLOSE. I noted a few things that I'd read were particularly good at these places. Here's what I found...

Reading Terminal Market - Marketplace (about a hundred small restaurants) with limited sit-down seating and it will be mobbed at lunchtime

Field House - Sports Bar, loads of space and being connected to the convention hall, 1150 Filbert St.

Ting Wong-138 N 10th st (8am-11pm) (Hong Kong style duck, noodles and congee) -roast duck, BBQ pork, moist soy sauce chicken over noodle soup, #35. Side of crispy pig. Beef chow fun

Dim Sum Garden-1020 Race St (10:30-10:30) -crab dumplings, Shanghai shao mai, shrimp dumplings, shredded turnip cakes, chicken on a stick, Shanghai mock duck

Spice C – (10:30-10)131 N 10th St -Sichuan fish soup with hand drawn noodles, chili-dark ma pao tofu, sweet-sauced Asian eggplant

Nan Zhou Hand-drawn Noodle House – 1022 Race St (11-10:30)- Soy sauce pork noodles, meatball soup, coconut curried chicken dumplings, shredded kelp, turnip salads

Bubblefish – 909 Arch St –Sushi (11-1), poke bowls, onigiri, don rice bowls, minced pork over rice, salt-based chicken, bubble tea

Yamitsuki Ramen- 1028 Arch St (11:30am-midnight) -fluffy steamed buns with tender chashu pork

Bar-Ly – 101 N 11th St, American Asian pub, 60 tap beers, (Fri 3-1am, Sat/Sun 11:30-1am)

Reading Market is amazing and right across the street from the convention center
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark B
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend the Dutch Eating Place in Reading Terminal Market. Great breakfast sandwiches. It shouldn't be too crowded early in the morning either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell B
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
So I dragged my feet on buying a Saturday-only pass because I wasn't sure I was going to have anyone to go with, but now it looks like I do. Ofc the Saturday passes are now sold out.

Maybe a long shot, but if anyone is has an extra Saturday pass they're looking to get rid of, can you shoot me a GM?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR! (Or ask me about it)
badge
Her Serenity, The Lady of Pain.
mbmbmbmbmb
wildpygmy wrote:
So I dragged my feet on buying a Saturday-only pass because I wasn't sure I was going to have anyone to go with, but now it looks like I do. Ofc the Saturday passes are now sold out.

Maybe a long shot, but if anyone is has an extra Saturday pass they're looking to get rid of, can you shoot me a GM?

I'm in the opposite boat. I bought extra PAX Unplugged 3-day pass tickets (both thinking they might sell out and for my boss who can't make it any more) so now I have 2 or 3 extra tickets for sale.

EDIT: Sold. Thanks peoples =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean B
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wildpygmy wrote:

Someone posted on facebook yesterday that they had 2 Saturday tickets for sale. Try here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/unofficialpaxunplugged/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Tate
United States
Bryn Mawr
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark B wrote:
I highly recommend the Dutch Eating Place in Reading Terminal Market. Great breakfast sandwiches. It shouldn't be too crowded early in the morning either.

Should be worth noting that they only take cash, I'm sure most people will have cash, but you can never be sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew L
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One 3-Day Pass Avail.
I've got one extra pass due to a bike accident. PM if interested, willing to trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Gallagher
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
jcarvin wrote:
natsean wrote:

Just wanna say that Nan Zhou Noodle House is LEGIT. I go out of my way to eat there. Cheap, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Boat_Times wrote:
Just wanna say that Nan Zhou Noodle House is LEGIT. I go out of my way to eat there. Cheap, too.

As in "too legit to quit"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cherry
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Most of the restaurants in Chinatown are Legit. That's why "this is Chinatown, Jake!"

(+2 if you get the reference)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone looking for vegetarian or farm to table fare Vedge is well worth going out of the way for. First vegetarian chef to ever be nominated for a James Beard award and more than deserving of that nod.

Planning on going Thursday night (at the very least). If anyone would like to join our party let me know via PM and I'll add you to the reservation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Lackey" Portney
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've posted a FAQ about how to sign up for board game tournaments at the show.

Please let me know if there's any part of the process this doesn't answer for you.

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/214790/board-game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Silly question, but any lanyard will do for the badges, right? We don't need a special PAX one or anything?

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  5 , 6 , 7 , 8 , 9  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.