Popular Tags: [View All]
Hoopder
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I'll always pick the archer
badge
I had and have a wholly unsatisfied desire to shoot well with a bow. -J.R.R. Tolkien
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like Troyes may be a good game for me but I have no idea how it plays solo. Apparently there is a pretty darn delayed reprint that is supposed to hit the US/Canada sometime this year (it was supposed to land in January but still hasn't materialized) and I'm wondering if I should keep an eye on it or not worry about it.

Anyone have some first hand experience with it as a solo game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CC
United States
flag msg tools
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
badge
The Shadow knows!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wish I could get my hands on a copy at all cry
More to your point, there is a Tabletop Simulator version of it in the Steam Workshop. You could give that a try to see if it is something you are looking for or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Green
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been years, but I have played it solo and two player.

Honestly, the game never really clicked with me for some reason. It just felt like I was doing things arbitrarily with no direction.

I never hit the point where i really "got" the game.

So, yeah, that probably doesn't help much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Oliver
United States
Belmont
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Anyone want to help crowdfund a mission to recover Starman and the Tesla?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Troyes twice this month using the solitaire rules that can be found in the files section.

I found the die-roll based opponent (Le Roy) did a good job of messing up my plans, fairly similar to what happens in multiplayer games. Moreover, Le Roy in action keeps the pressure on every turn by scoring, resolving event cards, placing workers in the cathedral, etc. I'm not ready to give Troyes a strong recommendation for solitaire play, but I feel I was forced to work at every part of the game to try to match Le Roy, and may be a better player because of it.

I hope that this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The LeRoy variant works very well. It is now an official solo variant as it was included in the last version of the rules (at least the French version referenced on the website of the publisher).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the solo variant a lot, especially how the character cards scoring works differently from the multiplayer. I would recommend this for solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
and Solo Playtester too ^^
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The LeRoy solo variant works quite well, and it is also simple enough to integrate in the expansion. I've quite enjoyed the solo games I have played of Troyes, and would say it's definitely worth a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vaader
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo variant was created by Shadi Torbey, designer of Onirim and Sylvion.

Troyes Solo Rules - English v1.1

Shadi Torbey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Moore
Germany
March
Baden-W├╝rttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it several times since Christmas. I think it's a phenomenal multiplayer game, and I've come around to the fact that the solo game does capture that same feeling of playing against an opponent. It initially gives you a bit more to manage, of course, by rolling on a table for the opponent's moves. But it became second nature after a couple of games.

If I could only play it solo, going forward, it'd still never leave the collection. (And the expansion, whilst not essential, adds some good cards and extra options.)

Given how long it was out of print, for me it was worth the wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Like Jack said, it's a phenomenal multiplayer game. One of those few games worth having around even if you rarely play it, just in case. Others for me are Through the Ages, Agricola, and Caylus.

I've played the solo game a few times and found it lacking. My version is an earlier printing so I used the ones from the file page. While I am enthralled by the dynamics of the game in a multiplayer session, solo the game felt a bit more.... sandboxy and less tense. Not that I found it easy or anything!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Alexander
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The random shuffle of the Character cards can drastically swing the difficulty of a solo game before you even finish setting up. If the "VP for meeples in buildings" and "VP for meeples on Activities" bonus cards show up at the bottom, they're basically guaranteed to hand le Roy 12 free VP.

Also, it's hard. Real hard. Expect le Roy to average over 2 VP per action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Schulz
Sweden
Boden
Norrbotten
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to admit, the solo mode for Troyes was actually better than I remembered. My memory of squaring off against the AI le Roy was that the solo mode was very fiddly, but playing it again today made me realize the real culprit was actually me being fairly new to board games overall when trying out the solo mode previously.

And as to the difficulty of the solo mode, let's just say there is room for improvement on my end. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Now that Black Angel is out, that is supposed to be similar to Troyes in many ways, does this effectively replace Troyes now? Troyes is available for a great prices right now (less than half that of Black Angel) so maybe that's the better bet.

Particularly from the solo perspective, which is the better game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Schulz
Sweden
Boden
Norrbotten
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also curious to know, still waiting for my pre-order of Black Angel from my online FLGS. The solo mode in Troyes was designed by Shadi Torbey, whereas in Black Angel the solo rules are credited the same trio of designers that created the multiplayer rule set. So there is a theoretical possibility that the solo rules in Black Angel are a bit more coherent to the multiplayer experience when compared to the equivalent in Troyes. However, all this is pure speculation on my part and I am definitely eager to get my grubby hands on Black Angel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls