Hide
9 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Undimension and Unseen - Set Up Question **Spoilere** rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Street
msg tools
Is the Brood of Yog-Sothoth section right?

If 4 people were sacrificed you only have 2 (set aside) broods to fight? The rest are out of game?

Bot if only one was scarificed you have 2 in play, and 3 set aside? i.e. despite doing better last time, this section is much much harder

I've killed all 3 broods that spawned (The Agenda advanced to spawn another)

But I can't advance the Act as it requires none in play OR set aside - I still have 2 set aside?

So I can't progress the act and presumably have to wait for 2 more Agenda advances?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noam Rosen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the Undimensioned and Unseen set-up seems to be designed to scale difficulty (i.e. if you did worse in Blood on the Altar, Undimensioned and Unseen is easier and vice-versa). Neat design!

The Agenda advancing is not the only way for broods to spawn
Spoiler (click to reveal)
There are a couple of event cards that do this too

It's a tricky scenario. The question is
Spoiler (click to reveal)
can you push your luck long enough to get ALL of the broods or do you need to resign early?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's clever. Less sacrifices happening in Blood on the Altar = less of the Brood got fed, so more of them show up to eat the villagers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Waffler
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
I agree, I really liked this. Kind of a cool twist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would still love to see an official response on this from FFG.

The reason is that, in EVERY other scenario I can think of, failure makes the next scenario harder. Without spoilers, doing badly in scenario 2 of the core box makes 3 tougher. Doing badly in Dunwich scenario 1, 2, 3, and 4 all make the next scenario (or a scenario down the line) tougher in some way.

This is the only scenario I've seen where a bad result rewards you with an easier scenario... so not sure that was the intention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
GameMasterX0 wrote:

This is the only scenario I've seen where a bad result rewards you with an easier scenario... so not sure that was the intention.
I don't think it does reward you. The more broods there are, the more XPs there are. Not getting all of the broods doesn't seem to be that big of a deal. So if you are playing better, you probably want to risk having more in play to make it easier to get more XPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got bit by this same confusion as well! Echoing the common man's frustration, where I had the previous scenario go so well in so many ways, and only 2 of the 4 potential sacrifices got sacrificed.

Now I go to setup of the U&U scenario, and... what?! I have to fight 5 brood to win?! And if I had screwed up the previous scenario and left everyone to be sacrificed by the mad cult, I would only have had to deal with 2 brood, and likely get the happy 'killed-em-all' resolution to boot?! This seems so backwards!

My only consolation, and I do take some comfort, thematically, in the explanations others have given that less sacrifices just made for a more ravenous ancient one - and so guess what investigators? We're not in Hollywood anymore, and just because you follow the formula and THINK you are a hero, does not make it so in the Lovecraftian world of Arkham Horror - where humans are puny and pathetic insects in the eye of the ancient one... blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
garykressner wrote:
Now I go to setup of the U&U scenario, and... what?! I have to fight 5 brood to win?!
No you don't; you can defeat up to 5 Broods to reduce minor inconveniences next scenario, but you don't need to defeat them "to win". Noping the hell out and resigning turn 1 is technically a "win", just as in Masks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kill Bray
msg tools
Weltenreiter wrote:

No you don't; you can defeat up to 5 Broods to reduce minor inconveniences next scenario, but you don't need to defeat them "to win". Noping the hell out and resigning turn 1 is technically a "win", just as in Masks.

If you are playing on Campaign mode, there is no "win" or "lose" for a scenario. You can only win or lose the Campaign.

If you are playing on standalone mode you win if you reach a resolution, you lose if you reach none. (Rules Reference page 22)

So if you are playing Midnight Mask or Undimensioned and Unseen in Standalone mode, you lose if you resign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls