Ogre» Forums » Variants

Subject: Another look at BGG-Zilla rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we're playing Ogre, well, the very idea of a giant cybertank lobbing tacnukes is no less plausible than a 100' atomic monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
Misplaced Buckeye wrote:
To Damerell: Square Cube doesn't apply. You already stated that radiation has mutated the best. The resulting "bones" could be anything, no one has carved one up.

The square-cube law doesn't just get you on bones, but muscle tissue, respiratory surface, dietary requirements... sure, you can handwave all that stuff away, but then you can handwave how the breath weapon works away. You're not in any sense producing a "real life specification" by ignoring all the other implausibilities but insisting on a rigorous view of the breath weapon; you're just being inconsistent.
Quote:
You are all free to tweak it any way you want.

It's odd you say this when it's you who wants a distinctly noncanonical view of Godzilla (which you are free to have, of course), not us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Misplaced Buckeye wrote:

To GrauGeist: I agree he is 100' tall NOT a skyscraper a Cat mentioned. I prefer to play Ogre as science fiction not science fantasy.

Cat didn't say he was as tall as a skyscraper, only that over the years he's become taller to maintain a visual scale as buildings grew since the 50s. there is actually a very good documentary about the kaiju genre "Bringing Godzilla Down to Size" that explicitly mentions this that I coincidentally watched only a couple days ago.

In any case, I agree that a range of 1 is the most reasonable. Godzilla has always been a primarily Melee fighter. I've never seen his breath used for anything other than a supplement to beating something over the head.

The biggest challenge I see with all the HtH combat is it's, by definition, living in an Overrun if the range is 0. I suppose that's not a bad thing, since most canon shows a lot of stomping until the tanks are dead, but I feel like that needs to be addressed. Maybe overruns don't exist when using BGG-zilla?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For how small his threat radius is, Zilla absolutely should get to priority in overruns, acting before Ogre and armor alike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see your point on armor or anything less than an Ogre V but since the Ogre is a self aware AI with the quicker processing they might be on an level plain towards reaction. Perhaps an initiative roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
The goal is to win; but we play to have fun - Me <-- I said that.
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
Misplaced Buckeye wrote:
To Damerell: Square Cube doesn't apply. You already stated that radiation has mutated the best. The resulting "bones" could be anything, no one has carved one up.

To GrauGeist: I agree he is 100' tall NOT a skyscraper a Cat mentioned. I prefer to play Ogre as science fiction not science fantasy.

You are all free to tweak it any way you want. Nuff said.

Perhaps but the line between Science Fantasy and Science Fact does, on occasion get rather thin. In Ship Troopers the Plasma Bugs could eject plasma with amazing accuracy targeting orbiting space ships. Wouldn't the Plasma Bugs be about the same size as Kaiju like BGG-Zilla?

Where to draw the line... depends more on where personally we choose to suspend our disbelief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:

Perhaps but the line between Science Fantasy and Science Fact does, on occasion get rather thin. In Ship Troopers the Plasma Bugs could eject plasma with amazing accuracy targeting orbiting space ships. Wouldn't the Plasma Bugs be about the same size as Kaiju like BGG-Zilla?

Where to draw the line... depends more on where personally we choose to suspend our disbelief.

Well Said,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kenna
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Godzilla in the Shin Godzilla movie has a nuclear grazer/plasma beam (whatever you want to call it) that cuts through the buildings in half the city for what looks like miles out. That seems like a pretty relevant source from which to draw inspiration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Misplaced Buckeye wrote:
I can see your point on armor or anything less than an Ogre V but since the Ogre is a self aware AI with the quicker processing they might be on an level plain towards reaction. Perhaps an initiative roll?

The Ogre is smart, but it still needs to traverse the weapons. Machines take time to move. Especially when they're as heavy as battleship weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. But wouldn't the Ogre V basically "see it coming" and prepare to counterattack? It's really how you see the Ogres in your part of the Ogreverse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ErgoSphere wrote:
The Godzilla in the Shin Godzilla movie has a nuclear grazer/plasma beam (whatever you want to call it) that cuts through the buildings in half the city for what looks like miles out. That seems like a pretty relevant source from which to draw inspiration.

Having given up on Godzilla movies since I was a young man (and man is that a long time ago) you have me at a disadvantage on that. Maybe it's on You tube?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
All Purpose Neko-Sensei
mbmbmbmbmb
ErgoSphere wrote:

As with each re-booting, Shin Godzilla is also taller, 389', and rapidly evolving its own powers. It will be far mightier still come 2085; and taller by jumps depending on how many re-bootings occur by then!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS9J7R6mfhQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just watched a very interesting you tube on the entire film history of the beast. So basically he hasn't gotten huge until Shin or the 1000' Earth zilla.

Based on that I stand by my Ogreverse's version. You all have at the big beastie but I want a balanced game of some sort. Guess that's why there are multiverses.

If you think about it, the canon Ogre timeline really doesn't fit the real time events that we've seen happen so c'est la guerre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.