Ogre» Forums » General

Subject: What do you read? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wolf90 (Drew)
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been thinking about pulling together some articles for Ogre with the goal of exposing Ogre to a broader audience and have regrettably discovered a distressing reality - there are very few magazine out there that carrying articles and scenarios for playing games!

- Pyramid, despite being a SJG e-magainze, is truly focused on GURPS and is not ideal for Ogre.
- Counter, Casual Game Insider, Game Trade Magazine, and others are almost exclusive review/preview magazines, and not about playing games.
- Strategy & Tactics and Modern War are focused on serious period wargames which Ogre would not seem to fit stylistically.
- Wargames Illustrated, Miniature Wargames and Irregular Magazine are focused on miniature games.
- Forums such as this one are to captive audiences and not reaching new readers.

So as a variation to my earlier question about learning about Ogre, are there any magazines out there that you read (paper or digital) that feature articles on playing games: strategy, variants, scenarios, etc.? Yaah! might be a candidate, although their impressive goal of including a game in every issue also serves to exclude the casual reader due to price.

(I miss The Space Gamer, and the original White Dwarf, Dragon and Ares magazines! Although the new Ares might also be an option...)

D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Articles featuring play with painted miniatures would fit right into the miniatures magazines. I scan both Miniature Wargames and Wargames Illustrated at the FLGS and buy them when there is a catching article. Articles with a photo spread of games with minis on hex mats are not uncommon.

*edit*
Make nice hex mats — publish articles ^,^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4stephen wrote:
The digital approach would also allow players to access the content on-demand instead of having to wait for the magazine in the mail.

Not only that, but it opens up the content to customers outside of the publisher's country. Ordering goods from the US is a rare thing for me, as the shipping costs are typically astronomical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also in the electronic content, an Ogre youtube channel would not only catch random passersby, but each new upload would give you a valid reason to post a link in other forums.

On the miniatures front, any painting tutorials or scenarios featuring miniatures would be completely fair game to share on The Miniatures Page, Lead Adventure Forum, Dakka Dakka, WWPD. Even old guard minis gamers turn more towards digital content than print magazines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd approach some of the larger gaming blogs to see if they would be interested in guest editorial content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest reviving the Space Gamer, but make it 100% digital PDF only. I'd subscribe to that.

Also, with respect to Yaah! (disclosure, I'm a regular content contributor), although they do have a game each issue, you can get the magazine in PDF format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wolf90 (Drew)
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I am fully on-board with a digital approach. Indeed, some of my examples are digital magazines. But I what to know precisely what magazines (digital, print or both) might be the best avenue.

D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wolf90 (Drew)
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
robmcarthur2001 wrote:
I'd approach some of the larger gaming blogs to see if they would be interested in guest editorial content.

Care to offer suggestions? I rarely have time to peruse blogs...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ares was Kickstarted a few years ago. I just tried to find it online and it looks like they're out of business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Sockwell
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For my ASL fix, I read the Dispatches from the Bunker fanzine from the guys up in New England. It comes out twice a year, and includes 4 scenarios per issue.

They used to be paper, but went to 100% digital a couple of years ago.

PM me and I'll send you a recent issue.

Cheers,

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.