Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all,

long story short:

a) i'm not artistic enough to be able to paint minis, but...

b) i enjoy customizing my Ogre Designer's Edition 3D models. In my set, no two Ogres of the same team/model have the same coloring scheme. i.e. every Ogre mini is distinctly identifiable on the board (even though i only ever use 1-3 of the 70-odd Ogres). But...

c) after 3.5 years of using markers to color them, i finally invested $20 (US) in some acrylic paints and a generic set of brushes to give painting them a try. Within a few hours of their arrival, i discovered that...

d) painting the 3D cardboard minis is tedious, time-consuming, and messy, but provides a wider range of eye-catching colors and essentially unlimited customization options. :-D

My ever-growing Ogre photo album is at:

https://goo.gl/photos/iZdD47rTkbnwUGzv8

(it passed the 400-picture threshold earlier today)

and here are a few samples of what one can do to 3D cardboard Ogre minis with a bit of acrylic paint...

(i'm not saying that they're high-quality examples, just that they're examples!)

Happy Ogre'ing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Pretty neat!

Don't underestimate your ability to paint minis, though. Learning some techniques that don't require a lot of artistic judgement lets you do a half-decent job. If you have the skill to do this, you could do some minis if you ever feel like it.

If you ever go to game conventions look for a "paint and take" event and drop by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:
Don't underestimate your ability to paint minis, though. Learning some techniques that don't require a lot of artistic judgement lets you do a half-decent job.

My hands shake notably when i try to keep them still - they always have. Even staying within the huge edge lines of these Ogres is a real challenge for my fingers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple more examples:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.