Subject: Another alternative set up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C. J. Robinson
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
My family really enjoys this game, but I don't like the lack of symetry in the manner that the tiles are initailly set up, i.e. 8 rows of alternating lines of 7 and 8 tiles. Since there are 60 tiles, I will often set them up in 7 rows of 9-8-9-8-9-8-9. I suspect that perhaps this is so obvious that it is commonly done by many players; thus explaining why I haven't seen it suggested as a variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmb
We usually just shove them all together randomly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skrebs
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Palladin wrote:
My family really enjoys this game, but I don't like the lack of symetry in the manner that the tiles are initailly set up, i.e. 8 rows of alternating lines of 7 and 8 tiles. Since there are 60 tiles, I will often set them up in 7 rows of 9-8-9-8-9-8-9. I suspect that perhaps this is so obvious that it is commonly done by many players; thus explaining why I haven't seen it suggested as a variant.

I must be dense... how is your set-up more symmetrical?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
skrebs wrote:
I must be dense... how is your set-up more symmetrical?

Look again:

8:7:8:7:8:7:8:7

9:8:9:8:9:8:9

The second one is symetrical around the middle row. It starts and ends with the same number. I can see the symmetry point, but not sure if I would bother changing from the suggested set up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Palladin wrote:

I should try that next time. I also want to try it with the tiles set up in a hexagon pattern, like a Settlers or Viktory II board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
unixrevolution wrote:
I should try that next time. I also want to try it with the tiles set up in a hexagon pattern, like a Settlers or Viktory II board.

Now THAT would be interesting to try. Except you would be one tile short, unless you started with a whole in the very center.

[Edit: A "whole" in the center? HA!! I meant a "hole", of course...]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. J. Robinson
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
I went to the BGG site on Viktory II(looks like a game that would interest me)and I liked the suggestion of the hexagon shape to begin play. As was pointed out a "61*" tile is needed. A suggestion, borrowing from Settlers of Catan, the Fishing Variant, would be to create a homemade tile with a picture of a boot, which could be valued at 0 or even minus 1 point, thereby creating some tension, i.e. Do I take the worthless tile to cut off an opponent or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Romano
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The most common setup I use is the 7-8-7-8-7-8-7-8 one with a slight modification:

I remove the four outside pieces from the final 8 row (two from each side) and reposition them against the middle of the opposite 7 row.

That way, you get 4-7-8-7-8-7-8-7-4 which looks nice and symmetrical:

O O O O
O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O
O O O O

(Incidentally, this isn't an original idea of mine, but of another poster here on BoardGameGeek (whose name I can't remember).)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens www.spielefreun.de
Germany
Neudrossenfeld
flag msg tools
designer
Nobody reads this, anyway!
badge
Doea anybody read this, anyway?
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course it does.
Just because the shape of the whole thing is symmetrical doesn't mean the fish-tiles are also symmetrically aligned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
A hexagon (5 hexes per side) with empty center hex is a very symmetrical setup that has become our default. (I saw it suggested somewhere in the forums here.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Why is symmetrical important. A non-symmetrical board adds variation to the strategy. What's more, once penguins are placed, symmetry is broken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Canada
GTA
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
Why is symmetrical important. A non-symmetrical board adds variation to the strategy. What's more, once penguins are placed, symmetry is broken

Before penguins it's broken, I'd argue. The fish-distribution ruins the effective symmetry of the board layout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
From a gameplay point of view, symmetry of the setup arrangement is meaningless.

But because so many people whine about how long the setup takes them to do, perhaps a pleasing symmetric arrangement provides at least some aesthetic compensation.

(I don't think the setup takes too long at all; I can do it easily in under 2 minutes by myself, faster if a second person helps. But I still like the pleasing aesthetics of the symmetrical hole-y hexagon...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls