Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
We will be rerolling two more games in episode 101 (skipping the reroll for episode 100). What are your thoughts on these games? Remember if you provide thoughts include your BPPP rating for a point of reference!
Poll
1. Have you played Antarctica?
Yes
No, but would like to try it.
No and have no desire to play it.
2. What is your BPPP rating of Antarctica?
6-collection essential
3-average game
0-worst of the worst.
3. Have you played Isle of Skye?
Yes
No, but would like to try it.
No and have no desire to play it.
4. What is your BPPP rating of Isle of Skye?
6-collection essential
3-average game
0-worst of the worst.
      140 answers
Poll created by rookenoble

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brown
United States
Owensboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King is a great game and a good next step weight game. It is not my favorite game by any means but a good one to teach to non gamers with some experience under their belts. I did not think I would like the roads not having to match up but it play it did not bother me. I like it and play it here and there. It went over well and several people in my gaming group got copies of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've enjoyed my plays of Isle of Skye. We don't own a copy, as it isn't one that works very well with only 2 players, but we're happy to pull it out at the end of a game night when we want a little something else before calling it a night. Glad we have access to it, but not one we have sought out for our own shelf. 4 pegs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rody Burg
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who despises Carcassone (Adding a boring auction mechanism with lame set collection with "variable" scoring) Isle of Sky is pretty terrible for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The War Against Giygas!
badge
You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite game to play at FLGS game nights since it's so easy to teach, is quick to play, and the variable scoring prevents me from feeling like I have a huge advantage over newer players. The value of tiles change quite a bit depending on what Scoring Windows are in the game and their order.

5 pegs for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Liles
United States
Valparaiso
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wanted to like Isle of Skye, but found it just lacked something. The components are great, Klemens Franz art always draws me toward a game. But as a game which I mostly played 2 player, it just was meh for us. We even kept trying thinking since it won the Kennerspiel that perhaps there was something we missed. No, it is merely an average game and rather overhyped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talldude wrote:
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King is a great game and a good next step weight game. It is not my favorite game by any means but a good one to teach to non gamers with some experience under their belts. I did not think I would like the roads not having to match up but it play it did not bother me. I like it and play it here and there. It went over well and several people in my gaming group got copies of it.

What A-aron said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Isle of Skye is a very fun game and I always enjoy playing it. I really love the puzzle of figuring out how to value your landscape tiles based on if you want to keep them or if you want money to buy some one else's tiles. Also, there is a lot of replay-ability because of the multiple and random draw of the scoring tiles. I originally rated it a 5, but then changed it to a 4. Even though I love it, it will not get priority on game nights because my group will always opt for something heavier. It will get to the table if we have an hour to kill at the end of the night or if we are at a meet up (we always bring lighter games to meet ups). Enjoyable game, so 4/6 pegs.

Okay, split rating time: 5 for me, 4 for my game group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Pries
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have not played Antarctica, but have played Isle of Skye a couple times. One of those games that hits the Tarbell now and then. Nothing spectacular, but a very good and enjoyable game. Would play it any time somebody suggests it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Isle of Skye, and got to be a part of an ode to it along with co-designer Alexander Pfister on another podcast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Selander
United States
Ooltewah
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antarctica? Strange--I have listened to every BPPP episode, along with every episode released for 15 other board game podcasts during the last several years, and somehow I do not remember ever hearing about this game before.

Anyone else drawing a blank? I must have confused it with something else, or maybe I ignored it because there isn't a narrative that leaves me colder than this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bumping this so it doesnt get lost until episode 101.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was surprised at how quickly Isle of Skye fell off for me. I was so taken with it at first, it felt like a better take on the Mad King Ludwig concept, but I quickly started to realize that I just didn't ever feel fulfilled at the end of plays and then I just didn't want to spend any more time on it. I'm not sure what was missing, it might be just too fiddly with constant score keeping and an over-aggressive catch-up mechanism.

I still rated it a 4 even though it may be closer to a 3 for me. I feel like I could take it or leave it, but I do think it's a very solid design that plays great with 5 players in a short amount of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Gallagher
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Toronto based gaming group, Find Degrassi Board Gamers on Facebook!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll say it, I *adore* Isle of Skye.

I like it because it's a deep strategy game, it requires much more thought than I expect from a very simple game, rules wise.

I love it because I hate most games with auction mechanics, but I love the auction in this one. It forces balance, set costs too high, and lose most of your money, effectively buying a tile from yourself at more than the going rate. And since you have to spend your money to set the costs, you could hamstring yourself that round, not being able to buy a better tile, if it's on offer. You have to be in balance with the rest of the table, to be a contender.

I adore this game, because it's got one of the best catch up mechanics in a game I've played, especially at higher player counts, and the rules are so simple, it can be played by practically anyone. I had a game that included a 7 year old kid, who came in 3rd out of 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
annnd finally..got them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oskar Arnason
Iceland
Reykjavík
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up selling my copy of Isle of Skye. It was decent enough, but as an auction game it turned out to be too fragile. Whenever I'd get it to the table it was with a couple of new people that had no idea what they were aiming for with their prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Van Brandt
Italy
Forlì
flag msg tools
For me, Isle of Sky's looks and scoring is too similar to Carcassonne, which I considere a 'meh' game, so I wasn't very impressed when I played it. It was sometimes hard to understand whether a tile counted towards a certain type of topography or not and, though I have not thought it through properly, I think it would have been more interesting if you only revealed which tile you axed after people place their bids rather than before. The bidder wouldn't lose his or her money, he/she would just get it back. So for me, it's a two-peg game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls