19 Posts

Scythe» Forums » Variants

Subject: Another (quite different) faction suggestion. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
marcus ekman
Sweden
flag msg tools
Ive seen some different ideas for new factions on different forums, many of them seem really cool and have clever abilities and all that, but thare are seven factions already that are all different but still have that same feel to them, for another faction to be interesting i feel that more then just abilities need to be different. Ive also felt that its a bit strange that the people of europa just lets a bunch of different nations move on in and wage war on eachother and try to claim their beloved factory. So i came up with an idea of a faction that both fits but feels thematicly different, and feels more different to play than any other faction. So here is what i came up with so far.

Free people of europa:

This faction does not want to serve under anyone, many living in the villages surrounding the factory decides to join a mysterious man called Vlad. Vlad has for some time hunted the other factions scouts and confronted forign mechs using guerilla tactics and his heavily armed war mech. Vlad has some unknown tie to the factory therefore he has access to some factory tech to even out the odds when facing a more powerful opponent. The soldiers of the free people are regular people, farmers, timbermen and miners, they dont have access to big war mechs but instead mechs used to farming mining and so on.

The faction starts of as normal with two workers at a random unoccupied home base. However when the first mech is built all workers now take to arms and become soldiers ready to fight off invading nations. The mechs are instead the ons doing all the production work. on the player and faction mats the mechs and workers/soldiers are treated just as for any other faction, however on the map some new rules go into effect.

Soldiers
Movement: Same rules apply as for regular workers.

Combat: In combat the free people of europa suffers -2 AFTER the power dials are revealed, this to compensate for the possible number of
fighting units the faction can have. one combat card per soldier can be played.

Defense: Lone soldiers cannot defend themselves and are driven off to the home base at a cost of 2 power for the attacking faction. 2 or more
soldiers in the same tile fight as normal with the faction modifier of -2.

Mechs:
Production: Mechs can produce up to 2 recorces, either two on the tile they are currently occupying or one on the current tile and one on any adjacent tile as long as its not blicked by a river. If more then two mechs occupy the same tile only two of them can produce on that tile, however the remaining mech may produce one resource on an adjacent tile. All resources produced are placed on the tile with the mech.

Fighting: Mechs are basicly normal workers and cannot fight, if confronted the regular rule of “back to homebase at a cost of 1 popularity” applies.

Mech abbility:
1: Riverwalk: may cross rivers to and from tiles containing an encounter symbol.

2: Infantry cover: When joining one or several soldiers in battle the mech offers cover and support enough to nullify the -2 modifier soldiers as a faction suffers on the powerdial.
3: Deploy: Before or after movement deploy any number of soldiers the mech carries one tile away, all soldiers must enter the same tile. This does not count as a movement for any of the soldiers.

4:Trojan horse: When producing a worker/soldier, instead of placing him on the board place him on this ability on the faction mat. When attacked or any time during a move action this soldier may be placed on any tile occupied by a faction mech.

Vlad: Same rules apply as for other faction leaders. “deploy” gives Vlad an extra movement since he cannot carry any troops, he also has the -2 modifier untill the “infantry cover” ability is gained, he then nullifies the modifyer even if he is alone, since he is both a mech and a fighting unit.

I would just like to say that i have not playtested this ( well i set up 1 vs1 against myself just to see if i was way off with some of the ideas), i just got into board games last year so i might be way off with this. but if i can get it to work i think that it would be a very different and fun faction to play. Any feedback is welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Soares
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is crazy but somehow... I like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PEdorido wrote:
This is crazy but somehow... I like it!

I agree, this is kinda out there, but I really like where you're going with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
mb
i like it, really interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marcus ekman
Sweden
flag msg tools
Ok, seems that my ideas are interesting enough to develop a bit further .
so i guess i will carry on and make a little project of this.

Plan is:
Design and make a physical faction mat. (in progress)
Get a hold of meeples and bits. (already ordered)
Modify scythe mechs to worker mechs, and the leader mech. (extra mechs ordered)
Paint mechs. ( well, i have the paint...)
Playtest, playtest, playtest.

These will be the factions soldiers/workers, i decided to go for the colour orange. https://www.spielematerial.de/en/backpackers-soldiers.html

I will post updates here from time to time of the progress. Thanks for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marcus ekman
Sweden
flag msg tools
[ImageID=https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/3581291]

Early stage faction mat, original art from Jacub.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elekmano wrote:
[ImageID=https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/3581291]

Early stage faction mat, original art from Jacub.

Looks good .

As an aside, when you use the ImageID tag you should only use the number and optionally add a size:

This is made like this: [ImageID= 3581291 medium] (remove both spaces to make it work).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marcus ekman
Sweden
flag msg tools

Meeples and bits arrived today, need to paint some of them and instead of stars i got 6 of the odd looking ting to the far left, guess star means something comepleatly different in german . I have also made some progress on the faction mat.

Thats it for now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
An Droid
msg tools
wow this looks super cool, please keep us posted, I'd definitely want an expansion like this !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marcus ekman
Sweden
flag msg tools

Some more progress on the faction mat (not quite done but getting there. Will post again soon with the rules im going to playtest with.
Also came up with a faction ability, Sabotage, fighting units can place a sabotage token after movement, hexes with these tokens in them will not be able to produce resources and will not count for end game scoring, factory and albion flags are worth 1 less for end game scoring. Three tokens will be avalible to the faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marcus ekman
Sweden
flag msg tools

So, progress is slow but i got the minis yesterday. This is Vlad. 😁
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leandro Vilaca Resende
Brazil
flag msg tools
Great job! Where dos you buy this mech?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marcus ekman
Sweden
flag msg tools
Its an original rusviet mech that i modified using bits from a 40k box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marcus ekman
Sweden
flag msg tools

More mechs. Not sure if im happy with these but they will do for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marcus ekman
Sweden
flag msg tools
First rules for testing at last. All art and graphics used are either original or traced copies from Jakub Rosalski and Stonemaier games. This is very much a wip and the rules and other components are a bit rough. im sorry if some bits are a bit sloppy, just had a baby girl last week so mind is a bit scattered. Any feedback on this is welcome since i wont be able to test it out as much as i would like, having a kid is fun too .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Moore
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This faction looks so cool! Has anyone playtested it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marcus ekman
Sweden
flag msg tools
Well i managed to try it about 5 or 6 times before my group sadly didnt want to play scythe any more. Seems to work ok but needs some tweaks for sure. I have some ideas but not enough time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmad Siddiqi
Pakistan
Lahore
flag msg tools
Crazy and very awesome idea! Any further progress?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Gade
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Id gladly buy a set if you finish it. kiss
(Im based in Copenhagen, so postage will be easy )

Did you manage to print the faction mat in the same thickness as those in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls