UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is to discuss the 2017 Gen Con OLWLG-Using No-Ship Math Trade

Use the TRADE GEEKLIST to submit items.

If you want to skip the discussion and just subscribe to the official announcement thread, go here: ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD

Here is a link to the REQUEST GEEKLIST. (List items here if you want other people to offers these items in the math trade.)

For this math trade, use of OLWLG is mandatory.

If you are new to math trading, please start with the BGG Wiki pages for Math Trades and OLWLG. If you still have questions, feel free to post them here.

Key dates and times
Geeklist creation & submissions open: July 2
Submissions close: Saturday, July 29, 6 pm Eastern
Want List submission close: Saturday, August 5, 6 pm Eastern.

Results will be posted shortly thereafter. After the results have been posted, everyone will have at least 12 hours to check the results for errors. Technical errors or mistakes within the responsibility of the organizer may cause a rerun of the trade in which case a new 12 hour period for checking the revised results will begin. Mistakes made by users while creating their want lists do not warrant a rerun of the trade and thus cannot be corrected once the trade is resolved.

Please be available to answer GeekMails as soon as possible after the results have been posted. You are expected to coordinate with each person you are trading with.

Meet Up
This is a no-ship event. Participants are encouraged to meet and trade on their own. However, we will meet on Friday, August 18, at 8:00 am – 8:30 am in Westin Capitol II. If you are unable to attend at 8 am Friday, the onus is on you to communicate with and meet your trade partners at some other time and location.

This is an official Gen Con Event. If you plan to participate in the 8 am meetup, you should get a ticket to SEM17122581.

Submission Format

PLEASE READ THIS AND MAKE SURE YOUR POSTS COMPLY WITH THESE RED SUBMISSION FORMAT REQUIREMENTS

You must include the following information with each posted item:

1. Condition
To avoid confusion and ambiguity, use one of these 6 BGG marketplace conditions to describe your item:

New - A brand new unused, unopened, and undamaged game in perfect condition. The original packaging and all materials are in brand new condition.
Like New - Game just removed from shrink wrap. No wear and tear, all facets of the game are intact.
Very Good - Very minimal wear and tear. All game materials are present. You would give this item to a friend as a gift.
Good - Minor damage to the box and/or its contents. All game materials are present. Game maybe played once or twice.
Acceptable - Some damage to the box, but the game is still intact. Possible split corner(s) on the box. Maybe missing a non-crucial game piece. Possibly missing rules/instructions, but are available on the web. Scuffing on the game board.
Unacceptable - Major damage to box and its parts. Possibly missing several important pieces. Broken or missing board/box. No rules/instructions, and they are not readily available. Do not sell this game on Board Game Geek.

You must confirm all pieces are there before posting. Then, if any pieces are missing, it should be disclosed and labeled Acceptable or Unacceptable condition. Add any other information you think would be useful. If you post misleading information about the game you are trading, you will be expected to make good on what you promised. (E.g., pay the price it would cost to buy and ship a game in the condition promised.)

2. Edition/Publisher: The edition and/or publisher of the item. Look at the "Versions" listed on BGG to find a list and description of the different editions available for a game.
3. Language, if not in English
4. Indicate which days you will be at Gen Con and whether you can attend the Friday 8am Meetup.

When you post an item to the geeklist, you should subscribe to that item in BGG and answer any questions/comments asked about the item.

Valid offers

This trade is about board games, but you may offer other items that might be attractive to Gen Con attendees, as long as they are legal. But don't spam the geeklist.

Money offers are allowed. Be aware that by accepting a cash value you are conducting a direct sale and are subject to the associated 3% commission fee required by the BGG Terms of Service. For details see Cash Value Trades in Math Trades.

Exchanging Cash inside Gen Con and especially during the seminar is prohibited by Gen Con. Doing so may result in no future math trades at Gen Con. You are encouraged to exchange cash via Paypal or Amazon or Venmo etc. before the convention.

Money and geekgold arbitrage is prohibited and may (at the discretion of the moderator) result in the incorrect want lists and/or arbitrage items being omitted from the trade. Money arbitrage is defined as trading an item containing money for an item containing more money. Money includes cash offers, PayPal transfers, wire transfers, gift certificates, etc. So if you are offering money or geekgold, do not “want” any money or geekgold items in exchange for your item.

For items that do not have their own BGG entry, generic items like Outside the Scope of BGG or Miscellaneous Game Accessory must be used. Include an altname tag in the item description of generic items or they will not be displayed properly by the OLWLG.

If you are offering an expansion for which there is no entry in BGG (for instance expansion cards) and NOT the base game, you MUST use "Miscellaneous Game Accessory". If you post the base game as your item, you will be expected to deliver the base game.

Arrive at the meetup site ON TIME with a prominent sign that has your BGG ID on it. You can also do stuff like wear a giant chicken hat and tell your trade partners that you'll be wearing a giant chicken hat.

By adding an item to one of your want lists you agree to accept it in exchange for your respective item. Check your want lists and all of the item descriptions thoroughly before finally submitting your want lists!

The rules are subject to change/clarification as necessary.

Feel free to participate in the other Gen Con math trade using Abecorn and with a Friday evening meetup time.

Edit 7/3 to add link to the Request geeklist.
Edit 7/5 to emphasize the rule about game condition
Edit 7/8 to add more emphasis to formatting requirements and change wantlist submission deadline
Edit 7/31 to clarify the rules a bit (mostly for next year)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank B
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, this is cool and all... I prefer OLWLG (because I'm more familiar with it) and the meetup time is better...

BUT...

I HATE the idea of having two separate trades running. It is difficult and time consuming to participate in both, and many people will not do so, cutting down on trade options for either one. Is there no way to reconcile and bring these two trades together?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank B
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunklezahn wrote:
So, this is cool and all... I prefer OLWLG (because I'm more familiar with it) and the meetup time is better...

BUT...

I HATE the idea of having two separate trades running. It is difficult and time consuming to participate in both, and many people will not do so, cutting down on trade options for either one. Is there no way to reconcile and bring these two trades together?

Okay... I'm responding to myself here, but after reading the other comments, I've changed my mind on this. I'm now all for it. The big thing on this, the other trade can be viewed as a 'Leftovers' trade, if nothing else. I still dislike the idea that some may trade on one and not the other... but I'm more on board now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a long discussion on the discussion thread from last year's trade. The poll showed that OLWLG was heavily favorited. And then suddenly there was an ABECORN trade list up and running.

Pick one to do. OLWLG will be the one used by more so I'd go with that one. Participating in both does not seem possible to me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Santa Fe
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RiffRaff14 wrote:
There was a long discussion on the discussion thread from last year's trade. The poll showed that OLWLG was heavily favorited. And then suddenly there was an ABECORN trade list up and running.

Pick one to do. OLWLG will be the one used by more so I'd go with that one. Participating in both does not seem possible to me...

The first one results are posted shortly after 7/15 @ 11pm, this one submissions close 7/29. You can definitely participate in both if you want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My problem with the other math trade is that it makes showing up on Wednesday mandatory, which is not possible for me.

Also - I have put in a request to be an official Gen Con seminar. I don't know if or when they will respond or if they will give me Friday at 8 am, but we'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am available on Wednesday but I like the idea of a non-ticketed math trade better. I traded all but one item last year outside of the math trade window. I also like you set this for 30 minutes. That is all the time it should take if people show up on time.

As far as a meet up place we can easily meet up on Georgia street at that time. Only thing out there at that time is the free Mayfair coffee. Gencon would have nothing to complain about. Pretty sure they would even sanction the meet up out there at that time. Make the convention look even busier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
samlamiam wrote:
My problem with the other math trade is that it makes showing up on Wednesday mandatory, which is not possible for me.

Also - I have put in a request to be an official Gen Con seminar. I don't know if or when they will respond or if they will give me Friday at 8 am, but we'll see.
Would that require an event ticket? Not a problem off it does. I've always wondered why one person doesn't just set this up as a 2 hour event or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RiffRaff14 wrote:
samlamiam wrote:

Would that require an event ticket? Not a problem off it does. I've always wondered why one person doesn't just set this up as a 2 hour event or something like that.

Seminars are free. But people could show up with $0 tickets just so we could show Gen Con significant participation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Whiteway
Canada
Newfoundland and Labrador
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will this now be the thread to follow/subscribe to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cwhiteway75 wrote:
Will this now be the thread to follow/subscribe to?

Subscribe to this thread if you want to follow all of the discussion about the trade.

Subscribe to the announcement thread if you want to see official announcements like 'The Geeklist is now live'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RiffRaff14 wrote:
samlamiam wrote:

I can answer that... about 5 years ago we ran this as an official, non-ticketed event. Gen Con then had their yellow shirts all over us because there were so many people and some were blocking other events (and I understand them being upset about that, but one math trade organizer can't control 100+ math traders). Granted they didn't give us our own room... it was a number of tables in the event hall and I was going through a liaison to coordinate that. Unfortunately one seat isn't necessarily one person when we're talking math trades... some people with 40 trades may need a table to themselves :-)

Anyhow, I'm hoping all of these changes work out well and I appreciate that most, if not all, respect the time/effort some folks are putting in to make the trade(s) happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Janisch
msg tools
mbmbmb
Question: Can you change the time to 7:30 - 8:30? Some of us will have 8 am events. Otherwise I will just be there 7:30 - 8 and try to meet up with everyone else outside of the math trade.

Again, thank you for hosting this math trade. I couldn't make the Wednesday night event. I DO wish that I knew about the times for the math trades before signing up for events. It's not critical if I miss the 8 am event but if you aren't there on time, they will take a generic ticket holder in your place... and there are no more open events in that category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwaserity wrote:
Question: Can you change the time to 7:30 - 8:30? Some of us will have 8 am events. Otherwise I will just be there 7:30 - 8 and try to meet up with everyone else outside of the math trade.

Again, thank you for hosting this math trade. I couldn't make the Wednesday night event. I DO wish that I knew about the times for the math trades before signing up for events. It's not critical if I miss the 8 am event but if you aren't there on time, they will take a generic ticket holder in your place... and there are no more open events in that category.

7:30 would be fine by me. Ask it in a poll. I will bow to the will of the majority. But the time should be 7:30 to 8:00 or 8:00 to 8:30. We shouldn't need an hour if people show up on time.

One possible complication is that I don't believe Gen Con allows for event start times on the half hour. I call this a possible complication because I don't know if Gen Con will respond (at all, favorably, unfavorably) to my request for an 8:00 event, so we might be meeting on the sidewalk and can pick our own time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not make the meeting place someplace like the small garden area next to the Westin? It's certainly large enough to hold all traders, and since it is outside it wouldn't require ticketing as an event.

I guess weather could complicate that, but other than that it seems like an obvious choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron R
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Abecorn Math Trade now has an official event. https://www.gencon.com/events/122486

It is from 7:00pm-8:30pm but most of the trading will be happening early in that time frame. It would be nice, for those of us doing both, if this trade could use that event as well or, if it needs to be a separate event, for it to be near it in time and place.

My 2cp on moving the meet up from 8:00am to 7:30am is that it might be too early for some to be awake and out of their hotel for. They Might Be Giants is the night before and my group has plans after that as well. I realize this isn't a strong argument but thought I might as well throw my opinion out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really hoping this trade still goes on. Friday night trade is no bueno. I am pretty sure most people would rather get up early to trade versus messing up their Friday night gaming plans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron R
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FrankNBeans13 wrote:
Really hoping this trade still goes on. Friday night trade is no bueno. I am pretty sure most people would rather get up early to trade versus messing up their Friday night gaming plans.

That depends on how many people are doing both. I would rather only do a meetup on Friday night than both early Friday morning and Friday night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said in the Abecorn thread:

I offered Friday 8 pm as an option in my poll, because it is a time that actually works for me. But the response came back pretty strong that Friday at 8 pm was bad for a lot of people. The only time that was clearly worse was Wednesday evening.

Early morning seems to be the clear favorite. I've requested an 8 am Friday event. If Gen Con does not approve the request, I think we'll meet outside at 8 am (or possibly a little earlier for those with 8am events). Of course, if both traders are available in the evening, they may attend the evening seminar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron R
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
samlamiam wrote:

I offered Friday 8 pm as an option in my poll, because it is a time that actually works for me. But the response came back pretty strong that Friday at 8 pm was bad for a lot of people. The only time that was clearly worse was Wednesday evening.

Early morning seems to be the clear favorite. I've requested an 8 am Friday event. If Gen Con does not approve the request, I think we'll meet outside at 8 am (or possibly a little earlier for those with 8am events). Of course, if both traders are available in the evening, they may attend the evening seminar.

Fair enough. I voted in that poll and voted against Friday night. 8pm is the start of Big Game Night so it doesn't work for me and many others. 7pm isn't great but is more doable and is much more attractive now that the other MT has now scheduled for that time. One event seems vastly preferable to two events. I am not sure how many people will be doing both so I don't know how much that actually matters.

Regardless, thanks for organizing this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Yanyo
United States
Evansville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AaronR wrote:
samlamiam wrote:

Fair enough. I voted in that poll and voted against Friday night. 8pm is the start of Big Game Night so it doesn't work for me and many others. 7pm isn't great but is more doable and is much more attractive now that the other MT has now scheduled for that time. One event seems vastly preferable to two events. I am not sure how many people will be doing both so I don't know how much that actually matters.

Regardless, thanks for organizing this!

Yeah, 8 pm Friday is also the Pathfinder Society special event/season opener, but I don't know how much overlap there would be with attendees there (apart from myself) and math traders. I'm also in support of one meetup that can support both math trades, or just have the two trades join forces into one big math trade, but regardless of what happens I'll be participating and will try to make the meetup(s) if I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron R
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt the trades would get combined since one of the main reasons they were separated still exists (OLWLG vs. Abecorn) but combining the meetup makes sense if possible IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton der Grosse
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
8am, while early for me as I commute in each morning from Zionsville, at least gives me time to go drop the games off at the car and still queue for the exhibit hall at 10am.

Thanks for doing this Sam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton der Grosse
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...and as an Indiana native, for the love of all that is good and holy - please find an indoor location. Indiana weather is a fickle mistress and pop-up storms, while mainly in the afternoon, can still occur at any time. I can't imagine the chaos when big honkin' drops of water fall from the heavens and strike our precious cargo with a direct hit after direct hit with uncanny precision.

I think the hallway on the southeast corner of the convention center by Lucas Oil Stadium would be a good possibility if you can't find an actual room location. Nice, wide walkway with limited yellow-shirt presence. They had a few videogames there last year, but there was still plenty of room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AaronR wrote:
combining the meetup makes sense if possible IMO.

I'm happy to have people take advantage of the 7 pm meetup, if it works for both traders. But I think an early morning time will work for more people.

For the record, those participating in the Abecorn trade are welcome to join us at 8 am, too. If some of us have to go to two trade sessions, it isn't the end of the world.

I completed 90% of my trades last year outside the official meetup. It's only 3 minutes here and 3 minutes there in between events (as long as your trade partner is reliable!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.