GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,021 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Podcasts & Blogs

Subject: What happened to the Ultimate Podcast? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: podcast [+] [View All]
Ryan Johnson
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know what happened to the Ultimate Podcast?

I stopped listening to it a while ago.... but recently heard that Steve got pwned by Derk...
So I go to listen to the latest episode and now the Untouchable League of American gamers seems to be the Temporarily Disabled League of American Gamers....

Did he get owned that hard?

Or did Aldie and his ISP throw a disconnect party?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

DUDE! Do not even JOKE about that. Step away from the keyboard, PRONTO. And...apologize retroactively. To EVERYONE.

Do this, and Aldie shall not send a plague of locusts unto your house.

Anyway....

I have no idea what happened to Steve. He kind of huffed off Fortress: Ameritrash's comments section due to a perceived "freedom of speech" issue, and I haven't heard from him since.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert C Kalajian Jr
United States
Simsbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess the podcast wasn't so Ultimate after all...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mb
Wonder what hobby Steve has invaded now? I'm thinking scapbooking.

"Good evening Ladies and well older Ladies! Todays Ultimate Scrapcast is about the on going debate Digital Scrapbooking vs. Traditional paper scrapbooking!"

And the Steve Weeks the Ultimate Scrapbooker Award of the year goes to Blue textured mylar acid fee paper! Whoo whoo...

Right On! Right....On!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
el alcalde de GeekQuestions
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryno8 wrote:
Anyone know what happened to the Ultimate Podcast?

I stopped listening to it a while ago.... but recently heard that Steve got pwned by Derk...
So I go to listen to the latest episode and now the Untouchable League of American gamers seems to be the Temporarily Disabled League of American Gamers....

Did he get owned that hard?

That can't be true since Derk is still missing or possibly replaced by a skrull depending on which threads you read. It must be just a rumor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, like Octavian (I think, forgot to look) said, there was a stupidness that went on at F:AT, and he was again being an idiot about the whole censorship thing, and took off. He did log in as of yesterday though.

Don't know about the podcast thing though. Don't really care one way or the other if it comes back...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received a Geekmail from Steve indicating that he was indeed finished with the Ultimate Podcast, citing a lack of time to devote to the show.

He thanked everyone for listening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
rkalajian wrote:
Guess the podcast wasn't so Ultimate after all...

Actually, if he's stopped making them then the last one is the only one that truly was...

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Steve ran out of songs to promote? Seems like his music played as big a role as anything else in the podcasts. I stopped listening after the first season.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do wish he'd made a formal announcement and given a week or two for everyone to download and archive the podcasts. I have a few of them saved, but not all.

No matter what you thought of Steve, he had some great interviews and some really informative segments. From behind-the-scenes stuff with Aldie and Derk, to a memorable interview with Michael Barnes, a solid interview with Robert Martin...definitely some good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
That is too bad. I enjoyed speakin' with Steve. And our last conversation was quite pleasurable. Not 'cuz I "pwned" him, but more that I felt like we came to understand one another better, rather than just being victims to rhetoric.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Goff
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The most recent podcast was an interview with Glenn Drover. It was a very good listen as they talked about AoEIII, Glenn's next game History and Pirates. Steve mentioned, towards the end of the 'cast, that his next episode was with Derk and it sounded like it was already in the can.

Weird. zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Johnson
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad really.... like I said...

I'll be the first to admit that I did really enjoy his podcast when he wasn't doing his impressions of Bill O'Reilly and the All-Spin Zone....

I stopped listening though because I just felt bad for that dead horse he kept beating....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Sir Loin o Beef wrote:
The most recent podcast was an interview with Glenn Drover. It was a very good listen as they talked about AoEIII, Glenn's next game History and Pirates. Steve mentioned, towards the end of the 'cast, that his next episode was with Derk and it sounded like it was already in the can.

Weird. zombie

It was finished, and released. I downloaded it, and I liked it (if I can say so). Not sure what happened...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Myers
United States
Salem
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang, I missed Derk and Glen Drover interviews.

I downloaded and have:
Seas 1 ep 1-8
Seas 2 ep 1-7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Goff
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be glad to email the Glenn Drover episode....for a little GeekGold. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B
United States
Leawood
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Derk, you sounded good! Nice interview and good thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Trifts
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
I just received a Geekmail from Steve indicating that he was indeed finished with the Ultimate Podcast, citing a lack of time to devote to the show.

He thanked everyone for listening.

Yes I got the same mail in response to my question.

While I am sure that if Steve and I were to meet and start talking politics, there would be a fist fight within five minutes (ten, tops) - I really enjoyed most of Steve's podcasts.

As for music, Cube Confusion was, and remains, a chuckle - as all good satire is.

There were a lot of people here who were pretty hard on Steve - undeservedly so for the most part. A good dose of lighten the fuck up could be taken QED by more than a few people here who were so mortally offended by Steve Weekes and Michael Barnes.

Such is life.

For my part, I thank Steve for the free entertainment and discussions of some games I might not otherwise have tried - and some great laughs and moments to reflect.

That really is all it's about, isn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it kind of odd that he just deleted everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
I find it kind of odd that he just deleted everything.

Not really. Wiping out all of your content when you leave a site is all the rage these days, haven't you noticed?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/179448

I just wish I had known this was coming so that I could have downloaded the episode with my interview on it! cry Now I'll never know just how much of a doofus I sounded like!

Seriously though, this is a shame. I really thought that Steve had upgraded his approach significantly this last season and was doing some really nice work. The interview with Glenn Drover was a nice coup, I thought. A little bit more color gets drained from the boardgaming scene! soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Not really. Wiping out all of your content when you leave a site is all the rage these days, haven't you noticed?

Now that is funny! He griefed others for deleting their content, then he does the same thing. Oh well, takes all kinds I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bummer. I liked his podcasts (just got #17). They were edgy and his comments were pointed...which kept me interested. Don't give me boring or goofy reviews, I like controversy in podcasts. And if there's an elephant sitting in the room that no one wants to talk about, call it out.

I've been wondering what happened to the site myself. Hopefully he was not threatened and forced to alter it. I did notice that prior to "the League" coming down, he had removed the list of arch-enemies. Haven't read F:AT yet...going there next.

I do have all the episodes if anyone needs em.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Myers
United States
Salem
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone is interested I have posted the first episode and the last two episodes on my website www.inntrepid.com on my board game links page. The direct link to "The League of Untouchable American Gamers" podcast archives is:

http://www.inntrepid.com/html/game_links.html#Boardgame-Podc...

If you have a specific episode you are looking for email me and let me know and I will try and get it up on my site as soon as I can.

These are large files that are hard to email because of the limits on email sizes (both outgoing and incoming). Hopefully this will let some BGG users that missed the last couple of episodes with Glenn Drover and Derk Solko hear them.

[edit]: I want to thank "Matchstickman" for getting me the last 2 episodes and "Sir Loin o Beef" for offering to get me the Glenn Drover episode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have all of Steve's podcasts, so maybe we could put them on some webspace somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Myers
United States
Salem
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
I have all of Steve's podcasts, so maybe we could put them on some webspace somewhere.

See my post just prior to yours.

I currently have 3 of the 17 up on my site at the moment. I calculated that my current package with my hosting service (http://www.1and1.com , shameless plug I know) can handle about 24,000 downloads / month (using 50MB per podcast which is about what each episode averages) before I have to pay anything extra.

I am not sure how many downloads Steve had but I figure that most of the people that were really interested in the podcasts already have almost all of the episodes. I figure there may just be a couple of episodes that a past listener is missing or somebody new that would like check them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.