Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
111 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

Near and Far» Forums » Variants

Subject: Near and Far Automa (Solo & Cooperative Modes) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Near_and_Far [+] cooperative [+] solo [+] far [+] near [+] automa [+] morten [+] [View All]
Themis Dakanalis
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
Game Design Theory Lover !!!
badge
Wild Board Gamer !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone, I have just completed and uploaded a new solo & cooperative variant based on Morten’s Automa Approach that is called Near And Far Automa. The Near And Far Automa variant consist of two files. The first describes in detail all the rules for the Automa while the second one contains the cards that simulate the Automa.

All official variants and modes can be played with the Automa opponent.

Links:

You can download the Automa's files by visiting the Near and Far Automa (Solo & Cooperative Modes) - Rules & Cards.
You can play Near and Far online at Tabletopia.
You can try the digital version of the Near and Far Automa deck made by Marc S (marcss)

UPDATE (2017-08-22):

I have uploaded the latest version the Automa deck that includes backs for the cards. No other changes made.

Sneak peek of a card from the Automa deck:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Goodman
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Near And Far Automa (Solo Mode)
Nice! I'd be very interested in trying this out when I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Themis Dakanalis
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
badge
Wild Board Gamer !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, both files are now online!!! I am looking forward to hearing your feedback and or any question you may have.

Here are the results from my last 3 games against the Automa in arcade mode:

Game 1 (Glogo Caverns): I lost 50 - 58
Game 2 (Glogo Caverns): I won 68 - 54
Game 3 (Broken Plains): I lost 49 - 63

and here is a photo from the Automa's area where you can see all of its stuff after the end of the Game 3:

Have fun !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested in this, but need to get the game first! I missed the kickstarter. (It happened before I got into this family of games, but now I love them (for multiplayer play at least; haven't played any of them solo, yet))

Anyway, thanks for doing this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
meow
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible to use this to play two player Cooperative against the deck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Themis Dakanalis
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
badge
Wild Board Gamer !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
BenjaminHester wrote:

My next task is to test the Automa in a co-operative mode. I will test and I will let you know !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Themis Dakanalis
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
badge
Wild Board Gamer !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
BenjaminHester wrote:

Version 1.1 is pending for approval. Please read the changes in the update section in my first post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Themis Dakanalis
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
badge
Wild Board Gamer !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Three more solo sessions against the Automa in Crimson Forest:

Session 1: I won 51 - 33 (I was lucky in many aspects)
Session 2: I lost 55 - 61
Session 3: I lost 55 - 55 (The Automa had higher reputation)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Themis Dakanalis
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
badge
Wild Board Gamer !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The version 1.1 is online !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's great for me to see so many other people taking up the Automa banner . Thanks .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Themis Dakanalis
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
badge
Wild Board Gamer !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
It's great for me to see so many other people taking up the Automa banner . Thanks .

It is a great approach Morten that leads to great solo experiences !!! I thank you !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tdakanalis wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

It is a great approach Morten that leads to great solo experiences !!! I thank you !!!

Thanks. I'm happy that it's been helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Themis Dakanalis
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
badge
Wild Board Gamer !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have started a campaign in character mode against the Automa. I play with Rin and her story is really immersive until now.

Here are the results in the middle of the campaign:
Game 1 (Toxic Dessert): I lost 58 - 69
Game 2 (Dried Sea): I lost 45 - 90 (it was almost midnight when I started the game and I was tired )

I have two more games and I hope that I will manage to make the come back and take my revenge for Game 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Themis Dakanalis
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
badge
Wild Board Gamer !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
One more game against the Automa, one step closer to the end of Rin's story. This time I played in "Fire Delta" map and I managed to get my first victory against the Automa.

Final score:
Game 3 (Fire Delta): I won 64 - 31 (I got my revenge !!!)

I managed to purchase the "Firefly Stuff" in the middle of the game that gave me 3 swords (+ another 2 that I had from my adventurers). I defeated a lot of threats and I managed to finish the game as soon as possible.

On the other hand, the Automa managed to get some points by completing a trade route and by gathering resources. It did not manage to defeat a lot of threats or to purchase a lot of artifacts (bad luck ).

So, we are ready to move on the Last Ruin and play our last game in Rin's campaign. The total score until now is: Me 167, Automa 190.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Themis Dakanalis
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
badge
Wild Board Gamer !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished Rin's story against the Automa. The score in "The Last Ruin" was really close, although I tried to follow the same strategy as the Game 3.

Game 4 (The Last Ruin): I lost 54 - 68.

The final score of Rin's campaign: Me 221 - Automa 258.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Themis Dakanalis
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
badge
Wild Board Gamer !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday, we had a cooperative session - 2 players against the Automa. We played with the latest rules (version 1.3) where human players can share - apart from their resources - their unspent hearts. We really enjoyed the strategic decisions the sharing of the hearts introduced.

That game was our first session with the new rules and it took us a bit to discover how we can use efficiently the option to give unspent hearts to each other. We both started the game trying to develop our parties. That gave to the Automa some time to gather some resources and to take a trade route. We immediately changed our strategy and each one took over a specific role.

I had the responsibility to increase my movement in order to be able to travel far away, defeat a lot of threats and gather resources.

My friend had the responsibility to increase his available hearts in order to be able to help me travel. He also was responsible for traveling and building camps near to our home town and for gathering resources.

I gave him a lot of resources in order to help him purchase some artifacts. In that way, I managed to compensate for the big number of threats he helped me to reach and defeat.

We finally lost 48 - 71 but we really enjoyed the game and the different roles we took over. Looking forward to playing some more coop sessions and try some new strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Pivarcsi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is a very good idea, I really hope it'll get tons of playtime.

I really like how Near and Far looks, and I would buy the game just for a working cooperative variant.

Don't you want to get in contact with Ryan Laukat, and work out an official cooperative expansion? I think the Xia expansion birthed from a fanmade idea too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Themis Dakanalis
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
badge
Wild Board Gamer !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
gaborpivarcsi wrote:
This is a very good idea, I really hope it'll get tons of playtime.

I really like how Near and Far looks, and I would buy the game just for a working cooperative variant.

Don't you want to get in contact with Ryan Laukat, and work out an official cooperative expansion? I think the Xia expansion birthed from a fanmade idea too.

Thanks for your interest !

I have already informed Ryan and Red Raven games about both the Solo and the Cooperative variants !!! I hope to get some feedback soon !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Pivarcsi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tdakanalis wrote:
Thanks for your interest !

I have already informed Ryan and Red Raven games about both the Solo and the Cooperative variants !!! I hope to get some feedback soon !!!

I hope Red Raven will be interested in the project. I would buy this in a heartbeat with official printed material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jazz Flight
msg tools
Just thought I'd pipe up to add my appreciation for the work you're doing to develop the Automa deck/rules. Thanks for putting in the playtest time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to get the game! I love Above and Below and Islebound, but didn't get into them until after the Near and Far kickstarter due to lack of solo content/variants/rules when I finally had the likelihood of having other people to play them with. Since then I have been keeping my eye out for Near and Far in my local game stores.

I love the artwork and the game play.

Thanks from another fan for your efforts on creating solo and coop modes! I look forward to being able to try them out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Themis Dakanalis
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
badge
Wild Board Gamer !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Another 2 player coop game against the Automa. Here is the final state of the game:

The final score was: me 57, my friend 47, Automa 76. Since the lowest score is the score for human players, we have finally: Humans 47 - Automa 76

The Automa managed to get 26 points by purchasing 4 artifacts and 18 points from resources + faction tokens + the green Chief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nic Fausett
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tested over the weekend and works well. Automata won.

I was a bit unsure of the rules for setup regarding the characters: I interpreted it as Automata Character (on first turn place depending on the card drawn), one unused character on Town Hall and one more unused character on the Mines. Is this correct ?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Themis Dakanalis
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
badge
Wild Board Gamer !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
tohan4 wrote:
Tested over the weekend and works well. Automata won.

I was a bit unsure of the rules for setup regarding the characters: I interpreted it as Automata Character (on first turn place depending on the card drawn), one unused character on Town Hall and one more unused character on the Mines. Is this correct?

Thanks.

Correct !!! Town Hall and Mine have permanently placed one character on them and the character of the Automa is placed based on the first card draw (where you have to resolve the town related actions). Every odd card draw (1st, 3rd, 5th), when the Automa resolves the town related actions, the Automa's character visits another building.

Could you please send some more information about the final score?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Themis Dakanalis
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
badge
Wild Board Gamer !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
tdakanalis wrote:
Another 2 player coop game against the Automa. Here is the final state of the game:

The final score was: me 57, my friend 47, Automa 76. Since the lowest score is the score for human players, we have finally: Humans 47 - Automa 76

The Automa managed to get 26 points by purchasing 4 artifacts and 18 points from resources + faction tokens + the green Chief.

I just realized, while staring at the picture above, that I could have given to my friend two gems to purchase the "Phase Map" artifact. In that way he would have gained +3 journey points +1 (because he purchased one more artifact). So, finally we would have lost 51 - 76.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.