Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloom of Kilforth – FAQ

Compiled from the rules questions in the forum, the answers are either direct from Tristan or a response confirmed by Tristan (I hope that in my formatting I haven't taken an incorrect response please let me know by referring to the Question number)

Updates will be as frequent as I can.

Currently collating questions into categories (Map, Quest, Combat, etc.) watch this space for updates

Finally please let me know of any improvements to formatting, in fact any feedback is welcome.

Q1: Page 19 states: "If the Hero's Sneak value is higher than the Foe's the Hero may choose to automatically succeed at this Sneak."
But my understanding is a Sneak test, unlike other tests, must be completed in one roll. So under what circumstance would you attempt to Sneak and not auto succeed?

A1: When your Sneak is tied with the opponent's.

Q2: If an Encounter card states: (Map) Trophy does that mean when I’m at that Location and ONLY if I have a Trophy asset, can I take advantage of the benefit?
What if it says (Map) Trophy (Forced) All Heroes lose 1 AP.?
Does that mean that only Heroes with a Trophy would suffer that effect, or if it's triggered by a Hero with a Trophy, would it affect all Heroes?

A2: Map means it happens when it's on the Map. Trophy means it happens after battle if you want it to. Trophy (Forced) means it happens even if you don't want it to.

Q3: If a Place has a (Map) Trophy on it, it triggers when I succeed any test at that Location. What about when I test and claim that Place card. Does it still trigger then, or is the card out of play at that point?

A3: No, Trophy effects only trigger when the card is defeated, not every time you succeed at a test there. It's literally the Trophy for defeating that encounter.

Q4: With regard to the Level IV skill Sneak: A Hero may use Sneak for a Fight test during a battle. I played that means a single test, i.e. One round only in each battle.

A4: It means any Fight test during a battle - because it doesn't Veil you can keep using it.

Q5: A Hero using Backstab - add 1 to your Fight and Sneak when you have Surprise.
I played that is in addition to the normal extra die for Surprise. However the only way to use the 'add 1 to your Sneak' is in conjunction with the Level IV skill above if used in the first round and you have Surprise. That will only be at the end of the game and you can't Surprise the Ancient, so I can't see it being much use. The 'add 1 to Fight' is useful though.

A5: It’s useful for all encounters including Finale and any others you have before you assault the Ancient, even in the Ancients Location (Note though cannot be used against the Ancient itself)

Q6: Does the "Limit of 6" Apply to attributes as well, or can attributes be boosted above that?

A6: To clarify we're talking about attributes here (the Heroes' stats) - there is no limit to how high they can go.

Q7: Acid Cloud. It says you can do 1 HP of damage at the end of each skirmish to your Foe.... it uses the word 'Foe' and not 'Enemy'. So can I use this against an Ancient? I have read on this forum that Ancients are not affected by things that target Enemies, but what about a Foe?

A7: Foe applies to both Enemies and Ancients or indeed anyone else you're scrapping with.

Q8: The Half-Demon gains +1 die against tests involving Demons. It does not mention the Enemy keyword so would this work against Ancients?

A8: If the ability specifies Demon and not Demon Enemy, then Ancients with the Demon keyword are affected.

Q9: Lightning Spell: (Deed) Veil: An Enemy in an adjacent Location loses 2 HP. When Day ends, if the Enemy is still in play it heals 2 HP.
a) Can I use this spell against an Ancient?
b) Can I use this spell against a Stranger on whom I have not yet placed an Enemy token?
c) If this spell results in the Enemy having no remaining hit points, can I claim the usual reward (Loot and rumour) for defeating it?
d) If I 'escape' from an Enemy when it has only 2 HP left, can I use this spell to defeat it from the adjacent square? (The issue here is whether the rule "a deed may be performed by a Hero at any time during their Hero Turn" trumps the Escape Option rule "If so, they make Camp and end their Hero Turn immediately." Do I get chance to perform a deed between escaping and making camp?)
e) If I have the Artificer skill ("(Deed) Veil: Unveil a Spell") can I use the combo to defeat any Enemy in an adjacent square with 4 or fewer HP?

A9: a) No, cannot be used against an Ancient, Enemy keyword must be present.
b) Likewise, not on a Stranger (with* or without an Enemy token)
c) No, Looting the Enemy is a reward for defeating them in combat. The effect merely causes the Enemy to lose HP.
d) No, escaping causes your turn to end immediately, as quoted. You cannot perform a Deed when your turn is ended.
e) Artificer would allow you to cast the spell twice in one turn, potential causing loss of 4HP from a single Enemy.

Q10: I know that if get no successes, the Stranger becomes an Enemy. What if you get successes on each try, but not enough to complete the attempt before the day ends? My interpretation is that you lose any successes as night falls but can try again the next day.

Now, if you gain enough Influence successes to defeat the Stranger encounter, the card goes into your hand. It can then be put into play with a Discover action.

What benefit does this have? Is there anything to gain from a having a Stranger asset in play? Is it only to help meet the requirements of Saga Chapters? Granted, that is important, I just want to make sure that I am not missing anything.

A10: Yes you can attempt the Stranger encounter the next Day.
You can take the Stranger into your hand and use it as an auto success (by discarding it during a test) or use it for key words on your saga. Alternatively, when you are getting your rewards you could have discarded the Stranger and taken any ally card into your hand as a Rumour which you could then use later on to play into your tableau as a discovery.

Q11: If I am Hidden do I get a bonus (Surprise) when attempting a Quest?

A11: No, Surprise only give you a bonus in the first round of battle.

Q12: Do injured Enemies regain health at the end of the round or do they stay at the injured point at which I left them if I move away?

A12: Enemies regain health as soon as the battle ends.

Q13: If I am Hidden when I attempt a Quest do I have to come out of hiding or can I stay Hidden?

A13: You can stay Hidden whilst confronting a Quest or a place.

Q14: Is there a limit to how many cards can be a Location? E.g. Enemy at a Location that falls into gloom and another Enemy placed there by gloom?

A14: There is no limit to the number of cards at a Location.

Q15: I had an encounter at secret pool - a Sneak test is required to confront - if my Sneak is higher do I automatically win?

A15: No, you only automatically pass a Sneak test when trying to evade an Enemy if your Sneak is higher than theirs.

Q16: Night Phase, First Step: discard all encounters successes
What do I have to discard...I have nothing left from encounters at night or I am playing something wrong.

A16: This refers to discarding any remaining successes from partially completed encounters of the preceding day.

Q17: I have a Question about timing with regards to the Vampire special ability (gain 2 HP after defeating an Enemy.) When exactly does this trigger?

Example: During a battle it hits the point where the Hero and Enemy both have 2 HP left. When rolling the dice, I roll 2 sets at the same time to represent the Hero and the Enemy, the Hero rolled 3 hits and the Enemy rolled 2 hits. Given this, normally, the Hero would be defeated but would get to Loot/Rumour prior to Applying defeat conditions

A17: The Hero and the Enemy do their damage simultaneously bring both down to 0.

First comes the Foe Defeated Check, earning the Hero Loot + Rumour then the Vampire ability kicks in, bringing the Hero back to 2 HP.
Second comes the Hero Defeated Check which now won't trigger because of the 2 HP

Q18: Under deed - resolve. The Hero resolves the deed ability on an Asset or token (e.g. by discarding a Loot token) in the Hero's play area.

I think this implies that Loot tokens are one use - but I cannot find any reference to this elsewhere.

A18: Bottom of page 16. Each Loot token has a one-time effect.

Q19: Re: Cleric Crusader Level IV Skill – Deed to Kill Enemy Demon: I assume that this deed cannot be used to take out an Ancient Demon - which they all are - given that the Ancient does not have the key word 'Enemy'.

A19: Correct. Ancient Ones are not Enemies as such.

A lot of the actions/effects need to be read 'as written' and not have any other options inferred on them. If a keyword is/is not on a card, then an effect needing that keyword doesn't apply.

Q20: Regarding Enemies like the Minotaur or the Raging Vampire with the ability “when a battle starts, perform an Influence/Study (etc.) test. If you fail, the Enemy will suffer no HP loss during this battle.”
So obviously at the start I roll. If I fail, does that mean I would need to escape/retreat before I can try again? Or does it mean I have to re-roll for the test after the Enemy attacks me.

Same the other way around. If I win, am I able to keep rolling without a problem to damage it? Or will I need to pass the test each time I want to roll for damage.

A20: The battle is the entire battle, so if you fail you need to run away.

Q21: I have the "Dwarven Axe" and it says deed-sacrifice. Have looked in the rulebook under Deeds and can't find anything regarding this. Does it mean that if I want to use this I have to sacrifice it i.e. discard it? Or do I turn it sideways and only use it once per round? Unsure how to use this. Are Veil cards the only cards that you turn sideways to use and then return them the next day?

A21: Sacrifice is in the glossary on page 24. You must discard that card to gain its effect.

"Veil" is the term used to signify 'tapping' a card to activate it.

Q22: Are Ancient cards encounters? This mostly matters when you have an Ancient on a Location with no other cards. Do I trigger an encounter when I move onto their space or are they considered an encounter for those purposes? Can I Search there? The Encounter definition says no, just want to be sure.

A22: Ancients are not encounters, so you do trigger an encounter when you move to their Location, and you can search there if you like.

Q23: Step 5 of Saga cards: Is it an encounter? We had an event that said encounters at this Location are +2 difficulty. Again, the Encounter definition says no, just want to be sure.

A23: No, not an Encounter.

Q24: We all have to gather to attempt the finale. A Hero isn't allowed to do nothing on their turn. Assuming ideal conditions, everyone else walks in to the space this turn and does stuff then I roll for the finale. I don't succeed in one so successes are tracked as normal and the next player goes. They can't do nothing on their turn and they have nothing productive to do in this space (let's say there's an encounter isn't good or doable for them) so their options are to play a card (if they can) or move out.

A24: The intent is that the other Heroes move to that Location and make camp to remain present but offer their support to the active Hero. I’m not 100% of the knock-on effect here just yet but I suspect this line needs to be excised from the rules: “A Hero may only join a team if they have not yet made Camp this phase.”

Q25: Sacrifice says 'remove a card from play'. In play is defined as 'All cards and skills a Hero has; encounters on the Map, face-up cards beside the Map'. I have a plot that says Sacrifice an Ally. Can I sacrifice someone else's ally that's in play? Common sense says no but there's no mention of ownership anywhere in the sacrifice step so the rules say yes. The rule says a Hero, not my Hero. We played not because it seemed to make sense.

A25: Correct, Sacrifice relates to your Hero’s assets.

Q26: Are skills assets? Assets are defined as Reward cards in a play area and Reward cards are the 4 decks next to the Map (Item, etc), so no they're not. The Regale action (page 17) says 'Skill Types, Reward Types and Encounter Types (on Skills, Rewards and Encounters) are always considered keywords and may be used during a Regale Action.' An earlier sentence says 'Select an asset (..) which has that keyword.' Skills can be selected, so Skills are Assets. If Skills are Assets then we have big problems with unique keywords on Assets because classes have multiple Skills with the same keyword and the 6 Asset limit. You can't get gold from it either so don't Sacrifice it! It seems like they aren't and Regale simply can use Skill cards too, but again, not what the rules say.

A26: P.17: Skill Types are always considered keywords and may be used during a Regale Action.

Q27: What's the difference between (Map) Trophy and (Deed) Trophy? I'm looking at Black Castle (65) and it has both.

A27: (Map) Trophy (Forced): is an automatic effect that happens.
(Deed) Trophy: is an optional Deed for the Hero to choose if they want to perform.

Q28: Similarly, Map (Trap) vs Trap? Is a Map (Trap) global?
I don't really understand when a Map effect is local to this card and when it should be global. As far as I can tell, every Map effect can be interpreted as 'referring to an interaction that can be made with this card' and so none of them are global, but the rules say there are global effects. Can you give me some examples of cards with Map effects that aren't specific to that card?

A28: Would it help if you think of Global rules as General rules?

Author Edit: If a Map ability refers to an interaction that can be made with a card then it would be "Local" otherwise it would affect all elements in play i.e. be a Global effect.

Q29: Plot cards have a terrain icon that's used in the setup with the Ancients selected to build a single, combined Plot deck. The use of Plot cards seems straightforward enough - an Ancient puts the top card on a Location if it matches the terrain on the Ancient card - and no mention is made of the icon again. However, the card anatomy early on says the icon indicates 'The type of Location where this Plot appears.' If you play with multiple Ancients then a card can appear on any of the current Ancient trigger terrains since it's random from the deck. Is this just trying to explain that it's part of the setup to match the Ancients in play?

A29: Give each Ancient its own set of Plot cards.

Q30: Can I Overcome a Weakness effect with a trait on a Rumour? Common sense says no but it never says the card has to be an asset or in play. For example, I can Regale with a keyword in hand by discarding, so they have some relevance on Rumours.

A30: P.29 Overcome: Defeat an encounter which has a weakness matching one of your keywords in play.

Q31: I have an Arcane asset in play and I complete a Saga that puts two new Assets in play, both of which are Arcane. What's the order of resolution here? The Discover rules say new cards must replace old so I lose my old Arcane asset for sure. Which of the two new Arcane assets is in play first? The first one drawn? Am I meant to get some choice over which card is lost?

A31: Draw an Ally and choose whether to replace an existing Asset or to discard the drawn card. Repeat.

Q32: Currently playing the Assassinate Lord Saga, and upon reaching Chapter 4 one of the keywords is *Pious - anyone know what the asterisk stands for?

Checked the other Chapter 4 sagas and 3 others also have *xxxxx, while the other 4 don't. All the ones with a * are Ally unique keywords.

A32: The asterisk means it is a unique keyword, so you can only have one asset in play with that keyword.

Q33: when a Hero moves to the Location containing a plot card (and no other encounter card) do they draw a card from the encounter deck?
The rulebook says that plots are 'similar to encounter cards' (p.9) and they are treated under 'Action: Clear' (p.13), so does that make them more similar to obstacles?

If they are treated as obstacles, then I'd expect to draw an encounter card when a Hero moves to that Location.

If they are treated as encounter cards, then I wouldn't draw another encounter card since there is already one there.

(On a related point, if the plot card has the 'Enemy' keyword - should they be treated as Enemies in the standard fashion (i.e. compulsory engagement)?)

A33: Plots are not encounters so you should draw an encounter card at their Location if one is not already present. Plots with the keyword Enemy simply give you access to that keyword if you take them as rumours. They don't have stats or Fight like Enemies, but if you're not a strong Fighting class (yet) you could potentially use them to your advantage in your Saga.

Q34: The Thieves Guild card shows it as a Quest, but the reward shows a Title. Should the reward actually be a Spell?

A34: Actually no, the reward is a Title as the card shows. If we gather enough support for the Kickstarter stand-alone expansion you will see the rewards mixed up a little more like this on encounters moving forward.

Q35: started the turn with 4 HP, and due to the weather 1 move AP in addition to the normal 4. My first action was spent regaling the first Chapter of my saga, and then I entered a Location in gloom with an Enemy card on it, because I needed one of its keywords and it seemed easy enough. Due to unlucky die rolls, I lost 3 HP, and along with them my remaining 3 AP before managing to defeat it (and even had to spend a fate token to achieve that). That meant I was stuck on a gloom Location with only 1 HP, which was then lost to the gloom on the onset of night.
What exactly happens then? Do I immediately return to Sprawl City and lose assets as if defeated in combat? This seems the most logical, but as this is explicitly part of the combat rules, I wondered if I had missed something.

A35: A Hero can absolutely be defeated by Gloom - follow the Hero Defeated steps outlined on page 30.

Q36: regarding (Map) Weakness, Can the keyword come from a Rumour in hand or does it have to be a card in play?

A36: You would have to use an Overcome Deed to defeat a card with a Weakness.

Rulebook pg29. Overcome: Defeat an encounter which has a weakness matching one of your keywords in play. (Your keyword needs to be on an asset in play.)

Q37: Regarding Sneak Tests:
1. How would you ever succeed at a Sneak Test where your Sneak value is not higher than the Foe's? You wouldn't be able to roll enough 5's or 6's to do so.
So either you can automatically succeed (because you have enough), or you would never be able to succeed.
This isn't part of an action, so you wouldn't be able to add more successes by doing the action again.

2. Why would you ever choose not to automatically succeed?

A37: Without other card effects or abilities Evading is mostly a foregone thing as long as you're Hidden:

If your (modified/total) Sneak is higher you don't have to roll, you will succeed.
If your (modified/total) Sneak is even with the Enemy's you will have to roll successes equal to their Sneak.
If your (modified/total) Sneak is 1 point lower you will have to roll all successes and call on Fate or you will fail.
If your (modified/total) Sneak is 2 points lower you will fail.

Q38: On page 13 of the rule book, Action: Search states:
Restriction: Hero must be at a Location with no encounter and no obstacle.

On page 19 Stage 2: Evasion Opportunity it states ...) and the Hero continues the game as if the Foe doesn't exist (...)
If the Foe does not exist, I can search at the Location as for my character there is no encounter there, correct?

A38: Correct although be careful you do not draw another Enemy that you may fail to Evade.

Q39: If I attack a Stranger and defeat it in battle, does it gain the Enemy keyword for purposes of cashing it in as an in-hand rumour to complete a Saga?

A39: An Enemy token is not a keyword so you cannot hold onto it or use it as such.

Q40: Just revealed doom surge from the night cards which says to discard a Quest from play. On a previous round I had revealed a plot card (abandoned of penance) which is a Quest.
Presumably I can't discard this as it's a plot card or can I?

A40: If the Plot card has the Quest keyword and is in play then yes, you can discard it.

Q41: Card 102 - Escort Trader from the Badlands deck has the Ability;
(Map) Trophy: Relocate to Sprawl City. The flavour text says "... You must return him safely home to collect your reward".

As I understand it, normally a Trophy ability is optional unless it has the (Forced) keyword. However, in this instance the flavour text is hinting that the ability on this card is indeed mandatory, which in turn leads me to believe it is missing the Forced keyword.
Am I correct or have I (yet again) misinterpreted something?!

A41: For rules interpretations please ignore the flavour text altogether.

In this instance, thematically maybe you found a safe path or road back to the city for the trader, and then you choose whether or not to accompany him back home. But for the game purposes this reward is strictly optional.

Q42: Re: Limit of 6

a) What are the implications of the limit of 6? If I already have six Assets, can I simply remove one from my play area to make space for another?

b) Assuming I already have five assets in play and I win the "Rescue Villagers" Totem (for example). I add this as my sixth asset. The text says "Draw 2 Allies and put them into play as assets" what options are available to me? (Or indeed are any of the following mandatory?)
* Do nothing.
* Draw an Ally and replace an existing Asset (whether I want to or not). Repeat.
* Draw an Ally and choose whether to replace an existing Asset or to discard the drawn card. Repeat.
* Draw an Ally and choose whether to replace an existing Asset or to discard the drawn card and gain the gold value (as is allowed when taking a Trophy benefit). Repeat.

A42: a) Yes, as with unique keyword assets, the intent is that you can make space for another asset should you need to.
b) * Draw an Ally and choose whether to replace an existing Asset or to discard the drawn card. Repeat. Is correct.

Q43: I came across the Black Castle card and I don't understand how exactly it's supposed to work.

There are 2 Abilities on the card
(Map) Trophy (Forced): All Heroes lose 1 AP.
(Deed) Trophy: Perform a free Market Action.

I understand the first ability: When Black Castle is on the Map, then after successfully confronting this encounter all Heroes are forced to lose 1 AP. I assume this means all Heroes in the game and not just at the Location this encounter is at.

It's the second Deed ability that has me confused. I assume it means that when you have Black Castle in your play area then as a Resolve Deed action you get a free Market action. Looking at the rules for the Deed and Trophy abilities is where my confusion comes from.

A43: The Trophy keyword is something that happens after the reward step of an encounter that you have beaten, so in this case after you have enough successes on the castle you will get your normal rewards (Loot - take the money or a Loot token, and the Rumour- take card in hand or trade it in if it is offered) and then you resolve all Trophy key words.

In the case of the first one the Map keyword indicates it is in effect while the card is on the Map board. In this case it is forced so you cannot ignore it and its effect is everybody loses an AP whether at the encounter or not.

The second Trophy is a Deed (meaning you can choose to use it (not forced) anytime you could a deed (in this case right then) without paying an AP to do so. The effect you get is to take a Market action right then (without being in the city). You only get the Trophy effect right then, so this card will not be able to be put into your assets, though you can take it in hand to use as a Rumour later.

Q44: If I sacrifice rock body to prevent 3HP loss, do I also prevent suffering the AP loss.

A44: Yes. The AP loss would only occur if you lost the HP, and you just prevented that.

Q45: On the saga cards there is a keyword with 1-2 player icon
Does this mean you only need to get this keyword in a 1-2 player game?

OR

Do you have to get this in Addition to the other keywords?

A45: The 1-2 player keyword is in addition to the other 2: you need 3 keywords in a 1/2 player game, 2 with 3+.

Q46: The Rosen chainmail at the beginning for a starting character item. It gives you 4HP. Does this mean when HP are on card you get 4 additional action points? Also when you rest can you heal (repair) the armour?

A46: The Rosen Chainmail does not provide additional AP and the HP is a one off buffer. Note that the Rosen Chainmail does not Veil when used so you can keep using its ability, e.g. have it absorb 3 damage in one hit.

Q47: AP - when you lose then regain HP do your AP return also? I just got my ass kicked in a Fight, lost 3 HP (and therefore 3 AP) but won a healing potion of 1 HP as part of the reward, does that mean an HP and AP come back immediately? Or do the AP return at the start of each turn?

A47: You can only gain AP during breaking camp phase.

Q48: I can't get my head around the concept of making a card an asset? Why would you do that? What are the benefits game wise over keeping it in your hand?

A48: Maybe easier to think of equipping the card? You only get bonuses to test rolls from cards in your play area aka assets (p 14). Reward cards in your hand are considered Rumours until you move to the listed Location and do a discover action.

Q49: When having taken an action to hide, if I then confront a place or Quest do I get a bonus die on the first check?

A49: No, it only applies to attacking Enemies - the "Surprise " condition which confers the benefit in a test can only be gained by a Hidden Hero opting to attack an Enemy or Stranger (as per p.19 "Determine Surprise" stage of Engagement.

Q50: When completing my current saga chapter by spending 5 gold and "for each keyword on the saga chapter card" I discard one rumour which has that keyword, can one rumour containing 2 of the needed keywords satisfy both?

Example: Steal Artifact Saga Chapter 1 requires keywords Badlands, Forest and Quest (the latter in 1-2 player game).

Can I discard my Trade Route rumour with keywords Quest, Seek & Badlands to satisfy both the Badlands and Quest keyword needs on my Saga Chapter, or can I only use it as one of those keywords?

A50: The act of Discarding a card to complete one Keyword will result in you not having that same card to satisfy a second Keyword.

Q51: If I kill an Enemy (not a Stranger who has become an Enemy), does the Reward: Loot and Rumour section on page 16 still hold true? I.e. if I kill, the Enemy, I cannot discard it to draw from the reward deck? If so, I can't see when I would be able to take advantage of the reward deck icon on the Enemy cards.

A51: Enemies can almost always drop item rumours unless you claim the Enemy card instead. Think of it as something whispered with their dying breath, or a Map you find on their body or somewhere in their lair.
Murdered Strangers however don't give up rewards, other than the rumour that you killed them, which you must carry with you, on your own conscience...

Q52: Does a (Map) Trap ability on a Place fire even if you don't try and confront it?

The Insectoid God Shrine has (Map) Trap : Lose 1 HP and I am not sure if I lose 1 HP just for revealing it or not.

A52: The Trap ability only triggers if you Confront that encounter, so no, you do not trigger it just for revealing it.

Q53: Does a (Map) Trap trigger every time you confront it? For example if I confront a Place with this ability and it takes me four actions to eventually beat it in one day (I.e. four Confront Actions), do I trigger the Trap four times?

A53: Yes, it triggers each time.

Q54: To defeat one of the plot cards I am required to sacrifice an item. I presume this means an asset (in my play area) with the keyword Item and not a rumour (in my hand) with the keyword Item.

A54: Correct you Sacrifice from Play and Discard from Hand.

Q55: Can a Hero use a spell to Heal another Hero at his Location?
Even one belonging to another player?

A55: As long as it doesn't say 'you' then yes.

Q56: Lets say a Hero enters a new Location and draws an event encounter card that affects the strongest/weakest Hero. Can this event affect a Hero not at that Location?

A56: Yes

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

UPDATE 15/06/17

Q57: If you have 4 HP and 2 AP left when you enter a battle (because you've already used two AP today, say), and you lose two HP, do you also lose your two AP? Or do you only lose AP when you have less HP than AP (you wouldn't lose HP in the above scenario unless you went down below 2 HP)?

A57: You will lose an AP for every HP you lose even if you are already at less AP than HP.

Q58: When you are hidden and you draw an enemy so naturally you gain surprise do you have to discard your hidden token and come out of hiding to fight it? or can you keep it and move on after the fight?

A58: If the Hero is Hidden while at a Location with an Enemy, they must either choose to no longer remain Hidden and gain Surprise or try to Evade while remaining Hidden.
Heroes lose their Hidden status at the end of the Night phase.

Q59: If you are hidden during the night phase, what night effects are you not effected by? i.e. I would think you would still be effected by weather? As it says in the rulebook that only certain night phase cards.

A59: You can hide from Weather.

Q60: Are you or are you not allowed to perform the Discover action with six assets in play, of which none shares the unique keyword of the rumour, by voluntarily discarding one of the six assets?

A60: Yes. You are allowed to perform the action - but if having performed any action or following any other effect you have more than six cards etc., you must then discard down to that number.

Q61: Are Saga Finales placed on the map?

A61: Finales are not placed on the map, though you do need to travel to their location to resolve them.

Q62: Do Plots and/or Ancients count as Encounters?

A62: Neither Plots nor Ancients count as Encounters. (See Definitions, p.26)

Q63: If Plots and/or Ancients do not count as Encounters, do you draw an Encounter when entering their space if there isn't one already?

A63: Yes, you do draw a card when entering the space of both Plots and Ancients.

Q64: Can you ignore non-Enemy Encounters when dealing with a Plot?

A64: Yes

Q65: Can you ignore non-Enemy Encounters when dealing with a Saga Finale?

A65: Yes

Q66: If a Night Card puts an Enemy Encounter at the Location where my Hero is Camped, should I resolve an Engagement (with the Surprise effect) or should I wait for the Hero's next turn?

A66: You wait for the Hero’s next turn. Page 11 “At the beginning of their Hero Turn, the hero must first Engage all Enemies at their location, if any (in the order of their choice).

Q67: With regards to Ancient Ability - when a Battle round starts, each Hero sacrifices an Asset.
Is this each Hero on the Map, or each Hero involved in a Battle? And is it every Battle, or just the one against the Ancient?

A67: Each Hero involved in the Battle with the Ancient.

Q68: Pelting Hail is in effect following a Night card, do I suffer the loss of 1HP if I am located in Sprawl City or am I safe because Sprawl City is a safe place?

A68: Unfortunately the Weather cards apply across the Map and Sprawl City is affected by Weather as it is a location.

Q69: When an Enemy appears and I defeat it, do I take Loot and a Rumour the same way I would with any other test?

A69: When you defeat an Enemy you do take Loot and a Rumour the same way you would with any other test, yes.

Q70: When you have a keyword in your play area as an asset and you gain another key word of the same type it says you discard the card and place the new one. Can you decide to keep the one that is in play if you prefer that one to the one you just gained?

A: You will only need to Discard the one in play if you wish to play the one from your hand so to answer your question you can keep the one you have already.

"Important: Each reward card has a unique keyword. A hero can only have at most one asset with each unique keyword. If the hero already has an asset with this unique keyword, that asset is discarded when the new reward card enters play" (Pg. 16)

Q71: Also when say a night card puts an obstacle on something say a stranger, when the day is over and you make camp and take a new night card do you remove the obstacle from the card or does it stay there until someone removes it?
A71: Obstacles "remain in play until removed by an effect or action." (Pg. 3)

Q72: A few enemies on the Map were too strong to Attack them. But I noticed that some of them had study value on them. What are they for?
Can I use Confront? Most likely not as I would have to Encounter it first and we can’t Confront Enemies according to rules.

A72: The card text explains it but basically you need to be able to pass a Study test before battle to be able to inflict damage on those cards.

Q73: How does Veil of Fog work?? It says limited to 1 move a day. After the third day discard. I am presuming that I have to go through 3 full days of one movement continuing to draw night cards and then finally discarding this one?

A73: Correct although Movement can be improved through the use of Shortcuts or Abilities and the Weather card may be replaced through a subsequent Night card.

Q74: With regard to the Loot Token Vendor gain 1 Market AP, is this a “pop-up” Vendor to be used anywhere or a Free Market Action at Sprawl City?

A74: It's a free market action to be spent wherever you are located.

Q75: One of the Events says that the strongest Hero draws a Stranger from the Encounter deck. What does this mean? The Hero draws until they get a Stranger, or actually looks through the deck at all Strangers in it and chooses one for the Encounter?

A75: Draw until you get a Stranger.

Q76: Is the "Aid" spell one-use (for one battle) or does it add a permanent +1 to Fight from then on (unless otherwise sacrificed)?

A76: If you mean Inner Strength - yes, that spell's effect remains in play as you don't need to Veil it.

Q77: Can only Rumours with a named location in the lower left corner be Discovered? There are some cards with only a terrain type icon and not a specific location; can these cards be Discovered into Assets at any matching terrain, or will they never become Assets?

A77: Only rumours with named locations (Rewards) can be discovered, the others (Encounters) cannot become assets (in this game) but they can be discarded for Fate or used towards collecting your Saga keywords.

UPDATE 26/06/17

Q78: In competitive play, can another player refuse to participate and thus prevent resolution of a plot because they don't want a player to get the card as a Rumour?
e.g. Prince of Ruin plot "Veil of Ruin" requires all players to lose 1 AP to defeat. Can any player decide not to lose an AP, preventing the Plot from being resolved?

A78: No, all Heroes must lose 1 AP.

Q79: Re: Plot Veil of Ruin: If it is nearing the end of the day and at least one player has already made camp (has no remaining APs), can the remaining players still each discard an AP to defeat this Rumour?

A79: No, it must be defeated at a point where all Heroes have at least 1 AP to discard.

Q80: When you get your skill cards and you assault the Ancient you can Veil the cards to use their abilities but I presume because the battle is an ongoing thing you won't get to the night faze so you won't be able to un-Veil them so that means that you can only use them once?? Unless you have a special power that allows you to un-Veil them?

A80: Correct the Skill may only be used once without another effect allowing you to un-Veil them.

Q81: Is the Necropolis event card stay on the Spire Tor for the whole game?

A81: Yes. The Necropolis card doesn't have any test or condition to be defeated.

Q82: When event cards with perform this task to gain this ie. Sneak 3 (captured), does that mean you have to roll 3 successes which is very slim, or do you just have to roll 1 out of the 3 dice?? (that is how I have been playing it but not sure if this is correct)

A82: No, you roll a skill test as normal using however many dice and must get 3 successes to pass

Q83: When an Ancient gains HP for certain cards in play is that for every round of the battle or is it just at the start of the first battle?

A83: Just at the start.

Q84: When you are using a short cut or a token that says move to say the Plains, do you still draw an encounter card? Technically it isn't a move Action but do you still consider it as a move Action?

A84: No. Page 25, Ability Terminology; “Relocate: Simply pick up the Hero standee and place it on a Location allowed by the ability. It doesn’t cost AP and is not considered a move.”.

Q85: If the weather will only allow you to move once if you go through a shortcut you still have to pay an AP to move so that would be your one move right?? or could you move again?

A85: When the weather limits you to making 1 Move Action, you cannot add to this single move by using shortcuts (those are Move Actions) or Boots tokens (these give you an extra Action point that can only be used for a Move Action), but you may use as many Map tokens to relocate you as you wish. Titles that allow you to move two spaces may also be used, as these double Moves are still only a single Move Action.

Q86: The rules allow temporary teams but don't appear to allow Heros to work on the same encounter together and contribute to one success pool ... or do they?

A86: No and yes.
You do work together when confronting an encounter:
The active Hero (the one whos turn it is) can add +1 for each Hero he is teamed up with. These extra die/dice is a good bonus!
But he will collect his successes. So if the next Hero will confront this encounter he will do the same, they will not collect successes together.
When an engagement is solved successfully you can split up the rewards as the active Hero wishes.

Q87: My first encounter was a Villain (but not Enemy.) Could I simply Move again if I don't want to encounter it?

A87: Yes. Only cards with the "Enemy" keyword (or strangers you turned into Enemies) are automatic fights.

Q88: Clarification on the Vampire racial abilities. Gain 2HP after defeating an Enemy.
This only works on Keyword Enemies right? Therefore it also works on plot cards with Enemy on them right?
It's not "Heal 2 after you eat that stranger." Right? Otherwise I'm going to be eating a lot of people in the Plains.

A88: Yes on the plot cards.
As for strangers turned Enemy:
Per the rulebook page 14: "By placing an Enemy token on a stranger, this encounter is now considered to be of the type "Enemy" to this Hero until it leaves play."
Based on this, if you kill a stranger, you should be regaining 2HP.

Q89: Can the Lightbringer Title (Veil to defeat a demon Enemy) also be used to defeat a plot card that has the keywords demon and Enemy?

A89: Yes.

Q90: As I understand the rules an engagement with an Enemy happens as soon as a Hero moves to a Location that already has an Enemy or as soon as a Hero draws an Enemy from an encounter deck. And it seems there is no way for Heroes to move together as a team. So...
Is the only situation where two Heroes can team up on an Enemy when Hero #1 is at an otherwise empty Location and Hero #2 moves there and draws an encounter card that happens to be an Enemy? Per the rules I don't see a way for two Heroes to team up on an Enemy that is already at a Location... unless Hero #1 moves there first and evades the Enemy and then waits for Hero #2 to show up to fight together?

A90: You team up basically for a confrontation Action.
The Hero may form a team with any number of agreeable Heroes who are at the Hero’s Location, with the aim of cooperating to attempt to defeat an encounter, resolve an engagement, or complete a finale. Heroes cannot Team to resolve an Event encounter. A Hero may only join a team if they have not yet made Camp this phase. Rules p. 21

Your partner has to be at the Location. You then either move there, or you are there already (breaking camp). You team up, which is a Deed, so this does not cost AP. Then you do the engagement.
After your turn the team breaks up!
A team automatically disbands at whichever happens first:
Completion of the active Hero’s next engagement.
Completion of the active Hero’s next Non-Engagement Test.
Completion of the current Hero Turn. Rules p. 22

Q91: Rules say that Heroes can cooperate to attempt to defeat an encounter, resolve an engagement or complete a finale.
p 19 says: Engaging an Ancient is a special Deed called Assault
so from this it seems like you can team up against an Ancient.

A91: Yes, all the players need to at the same Location as the Ancient.

Q92: The rules require that an Ancient be put into play for each Hero in cooperative play, as well as their corresponding plot decks, which are required to be shuffled into one pile. What happens if, say, a Forest is put into gloom, which requires me to draw a plot deck given one of the Ancients in play, but the plot card that I draw corresponds to the other Ancient, say, with a Badlands icon. Do I still place this plot card on the Forest Location?

A92: Plots: Take the plot cards that match the Ancient(s) being used this game, shuffle them into separate piles for each Ancient and place them in a deck face-down beside the Map. The remaining plot cards are removed from the game.

Q93: The rules say to put +1 maximum and current HPs on the Ancient for each Place, Quest, Stranger, Enemy, depending on the Ancient.
I thought HPs were placed on the card at Setup, but does this mean that for every one of these encounter cards in play when the Ancient is encountered, the Ancient gets his current HPS added again ... or does it mean he gets +1 HP for each one of these encounters in play?

A93: The Ancient gets +1 for each of these.

Q94: The Witch has a Map effect - When you fail an influence test, sacrifice 1 Spell.
The assumption has been that this effect only counts when you're on her space. I.e., you try to reason with her, fail and you have to use up a Spell. Or does the Witch affect all Heroes everywhere until she's defeated?

A94: Unless it says “all Heroes” it only affects the Hero failing the test. “Map” does not imply “the entire Map”, but rather “this card when it is placed on the Map”.

Q95: Are Heroes allowed to trade Gold, Rumours and/or Assets?

A95: An exchange can only be undertaken in the following - Gold, Rumours, Item Assets, Spell Assets.
Rumours are transferred from hand to hand, remaining Rumours. Assets move from play area to play area, remaining Assets.

Q96: When a Hero is defeated on the same turn the Enemy is defeated, when does the Hero gain the benefits (Rumour card and Gold/Loot); before or after the defeat penalty?

A96: According to rulebook, p.19, you first check if foe is defeated and take rewards. Then, you check if your Hero is defeated. So reward before defeat.

Q97: We had a case where there are multiple Enemies in a Location (one discovered, and then later on the Night card placed another Enemy on the same place).
So when a Hero wonders into a locale with more than one Enemies, what happens?

A98: You will engage all of them in the order of your choosing, one at a time. After the engagement you continue doing Actions as normal.
see p.11 Enemy Engagement

Q99: Can I assume that if you sneak into a multi-Enemy engagement that sneak will only apply to the first Enemy you choose to fight.
Or will the sneak bonus apply to both fights?

A99: Well if you are Hidden you can "evade", sneak past the Enemy and if you were successful then you can sneak past the next one and so forth.
(p.19 "The rest of the engagement is skipped, and the Hero continues the game as if the foe doesn’t exist until either the day ends or the Hero leaves this Location, whichever happens first.")
When you get into battle, you can use your surprise when you are Hidden. But you will not be Hidden after the battle is over, so you can not surprise any other Enemies anymore.
(p.28 "Discard to gain Surprise when you engage an Enemy")

Q100: Are keywords on Loot tokens applicable for anything? I would assume not. For example, if you have a potion (heal 1HP) Loot token and you draw a stranger with a weakness of potion, could you use the Loot token to overcome that stranger.

A100: No, you cannot use words on tokens as Keywords; Keywords are only found on cards..

Q101: If a Loot token allows to immediately relocate to another Location do you draw an encounter card at that Location if none exist? I believe I read somewhere else that the answer to this is NO, but I want to verify.

A101: Relocate is different to move and does not trigger an encounter.

Q102: Since Loot tokens are "Deeds" / Free-Actions that occur anytime, can they be used to avoid a round of combat and continue playing that day phase? Typically you would fight one round, then run and make camp.

A102: Yes

Q103: The rules state, bottom of page 8: Study Attribute (the lock indicates that this value is the minimum Study a Hero must have to use this Spell).

But what does the word "use" mean here? Can you discover a Spell you do not have the minimum study needed to use it? If so, what if your study decreases below the minimum (if you lose an ally, for instance)? Would you have to "un-discover" the Spell? What would that mean?

A103: You can Discover a Spell and have it in play but not be able to use it if your Study is too low.

Q104: A number of (Map) effects affect all Heroes (or Strongest Hero, Weakest Hero, etc.). Does that mean All Heroes in that Location? or All Heroes on the whole board?

A104: Whole board

Q105: The Asset "Royalty" is in play, which gives my Hero the keywords "Title" and "Rank". I encounter the "Watchman" who has the weakness "Rank". Can I overcome (Deed) and defeat the "Watchman" because of my "Royalty" Asset's keyword?

A105: Yes.

Q106: Due to a Spell, my unmodified rolls against the Deacon of Betrayal would have been 18 dice the first round and 10 dice the second round.
The Deacon of Betrayal states "When a battle round starts each Hero rolls 1 less dice than the previous battle round".
How should this be applied?
a. 18 dice first round, 10 dice second round
b. 18 dice first round, 9 dice second round
c. 18 dice first round, 17 dice second round

A106: (b)

Q107: The Trapped Godhead saga reward reads: (Hero) Enters Play: Draw 1 Spell and put it into play as an Asset. Ignore the limit of six for this Asset.
When I finished the saga, I had six Assets in play, three of which were Spells. The Spell I drew had the same unique word as one of mine.
Is the reward totem itself counted as an Asset (which would require me to discard one of my other Assets if I wanted to keep it)?
When ignoring the limit of six for the newly drawn Spell, does it also ignore the unique keyword limit?
And I decided to discard the new Spell as I preferred the one it would have replaced. Do I get any benefit from the reward (e.g. the Spell I could have replaced gaining the "ignore the limit of six" trait).

A107 The Totem counts as an Asset so you would need to discard an Asset to put it into play if maxed out
Despite it breaking the rule of six it would still have its unique restriction applied as this is not excepted by the card text (like ignoring the limit is)
No further benefit gained from discarding the Spell.

Q108: What level is the Hero before completing first saga chapter and getting level 1 skill?

A108: "Skill level: The level of a Hero’s highest skill" you would technically be Level 0.

Q109: At what time can one use Deed abilities? Veil, sacrifice, etc? According to rules, 'Deed can be used at any point within a turn? But can it be used in the middle of a resolution of engagement?

A109: Absolutely the Veil will interrupt the Enemy Engagement

Q110: How does Trap ability work on a Place encounter card? Definition of Trap says 'the text is resolved when the card is engaged in battle'.

A110: The Trap will be triggered when the Place is Confronted.

Q111: If you are on a place that has gloom when you break camp you get -HP, do you still get -HP if you are Hidden at the time?

A111: You lose 1HP at the beginning of the Night Phase if the Location is in Gloom and Hidden will not protect you.

Q112: Do you pay AP to take out a plot card at a Location??

A112: Yes a Clear Action requires 1AP

Q113: "Eagle Rider" do you spend AP to move and then instead of the 1 move you get 2 or is it 3 moves including the 1 that you would have done originally??

A113: You pay 1AP for a Move Action, and you move to a new Location which is up to two spaces away. This is different from 2 moves because if you performed 2 moves and your first move was into a Location that didn't have an encounter card, you'd be forced to draw an encounter card for that first move step and maybe fight an Enemy or whatever; with the Eagle Rider Title (and same for the Dragon Rider, and possibly other *Steed Titles) you move directly to the space two spaces away and don't count as having passed through the intermediate space, so you don't ever draw an encounter card for it..

Q114: Can you heal as much as you like at sprawl city if you have enough Gold? (I had 4 Gold and healed up 4 HP) hope that is right.

A114: Yes, but only to your health limit.

Q115: In competitive play can multiple characters Confront the same Encounter with whomever completes the test first claiming the card?

A115: Yes

Q116: Can Night Cards be used to remove Plot Cards that have the requisite Keyword/Type? i.e. Using an Orc Assassin: Discard a Stranger from Play to remove the Plot card Farseer of Betrayal with the words Stranger and Nobel on it.?

A116: Yes

Q117: Moved to a Location with a Stranger can I go into Hiding and then declare the Stranger an Enemy and gain Surprise in the Battle.?

A117: Rules page 14: Hidden Heroes cannot confront strangers; they must come out of hiding first.

Q118: If I have Templar (Lvl II Skill, +2 Fight vs Demons) and High Priest (Lvl IV Skill, use Influence as Fight), does the dice-pool increase by two when battling a Demon if using Influence, or not?

A118: Yes

Q119: Rest has the restriction that a space have no encounters. The Holy Church Place is in play. It allows Heroes to rest there. However, a Night card has now placed obstacles on all of my places.
Can I still rest here? I don't Confront (the Action that obstacles impede) the Holy Church to Rest.

A119: Obstacles only prevent you completing Search and Confront Actions for Encounters and affect nothing else, so you may certainly take a Rest Action.

Q120: Every time I move to another Location by move Action, or card ability, or token ability and that Location doesn't have an Encounter, do I draw an Encounter?

A120: If by a move Action, yes; but if it is by a relocate token, then no.

Q121: Can Loot tokens be used in the middle of combat?

A121: Use of a Token is a Deed: Resolve and as per the Deed rules can be undertaken at any time even during an engagement.

UPDATE 13/07/17

Q122: Are Ancients, Plots and Night Cards in play considered to be Encounters?

A122: Ancients and Plots are not considered to be Encounters when in play. Night Cards put into play (Strangers, Quests, Places and Enemies) are considered to be Encounters

Q123: So... the Title Druid Circle says Veil and defeat a noble stranger at your location. Does that apply to the Deacon of Betrayal plot cards like the Knight of Betrayal or the Farseer of Betrayal or the Zealot of Betrayal. Can Druid Circle be used to defeat those cards, without Clearing them and paying their defeat cost on the plot card?

A123: If it has the keywords Noble and Stranger then yes

Q124: I guess one of my big questions with the Martial skills is does Marksman skill only apply to natural 6s rolled or does it also make 5s turned to 6s by Brave skill also count for 2 successes?

A124: You can use Brave and then Marksman in that order

Q125: If you are at the 6 asset limit, under what circumstances can you open a slot to Discover a new asset?

A125: as you play a new asset you can discard an existing asset to make room. You don't need to play anything that requires a sacrifice etc.

Q126: If I am hidden and move to a new location and do not encounter an enemy. Can I stay hidden and move elsewhere if I don't want to confront the new encounter drawn?

A126: yes, you are still hidden until you decide not to be

Q127 I just completed my first Saga Finale and took the Assassinate Lord Uprising totem, and it says to draw two Titles and put them in play as assets.
So I drew Eagle Rider and Elephant Rider back to back. Both Steed unique keywords. Am I screwed out of one of my titles, or does the text of the totem card supersede that rule?

A127: As you so elequently put it. Your screwed out of one of your titles.

Q128: Can I continue to attempt to Influence until I run out of AP or is it just one roll and if you fail they become an enemy?

A128: If you mean the influence test on a stranger, you can continue using AP in the same day to defeat that test. However if on your first attempt for that day you roll 0 successes, they immediately become an enemy. If you get at least one success on your first attempt that day (and they aren't already an enemy to you from a previous day), you can continue to try until you are out of AP.

Q129: Are obstacles attached to the location itself or an encounter at a location? If a location has both a Quest and Place encounter, and let's say a Weather card says to put an obstacle at a location for every Quest card, do you have to clear the obstacle first before you confront the Place, or just confront the Quest? Also, does these Weather obstacles also apply to Plot cards with a Quest keyword, or just Encounter cards?

Q129: It applies to the location itself. Thematically, if it was rain per say, it rains in that "area" not only on the "Stranger, Enemy, etc". Also, Obstacles must be "cleared" before any encounter. Again, thematically, it's raining so hard, your path is impaired and you must take additional actions to make it through.

Q130: The Paladin's text reads: "(Deed) Veil: Defeat a Demon Enemy at your location." I have used this to my advantage even when surprised by the sudden appearance of such an enemy. Am I right in the following?
a) My hero moves into a location and draws a card. It is a Demon Enemy. Before any skirmish (and possible loss of health) takes place, my Paladin veils, the Enemy is defeated and I collect the usual rewards.
b) My hero is hidden when moving into a location. A Demon Enemy is drawn. My hero becomes unhidden and my Paladin defeats the Enemy as above.

A130: Yes

Q131: I read through the rules but clearly have missed something about weather. I've been playing assuming the following:
- If a weather card is drawn, it stays out as the weather from that point on.
- If a new weather card is drawn, it *replaces* whatever weather card was around previously and the old weather card is discarded and no longer takes effect.

A131: Weather: Any Weather card currently in play is discarded. Place the new Weather card in play beside the map - its effect will apply until a new Weather card is drawn. p.23

Q132: Repeat Crossbow does the ability last for the whole battle or just the first round?

A132: The whole battle.

Q133: Clear action says you may look for a loot. A plot card also awards a loot card when clearing it. Does that mean clearing plots gives you 2 loot?

A133: 2. Just one loot.

Q134: Does it cost AP to stop the plots cards aside from those it mentioned on the cards?

A134: Removing a Plot card in play is an Action: Clear (Pg. 13). All actions require AP.

Q135: Can you destroy the ancients with poison or the spell that destroys a demon?

A135: Ancients are not Enemies and cannot be affected by any card that affects Enemies (Pg. 27), further an Ancient cannot be Defeated by an ability (Pg. 25)

Q136: If you are standing on the location where the ancient appears does it attack you straight away?

A136: No an Ancient is not an Enemy (see above) and Engagements are only mandatory for any hero in a location with an Enemy (whether it is a fight or evade). “Engaging an Ancient is a special, separate Deed called an Assault – it functions in a similar way but is not mandatory for a hero in the same space as the Ancient.” (Pg. 19)

Q137: If there's an existing card where the ancient appears you need to clear it first, will you get attacked by the ancient when you do this?

A137: No you need to Assault an Ancient which is a separate Deed. Clearing Encounters is either through a Confront Action or the mandatory engagement with an Enemy. (Pg. 19)

Q138: What is the relevance of the skull on cards?

A138: A a Dice showing 6 is an attribute bonus (Pg. 6) The skull is shown on Strangers against their Sneak value and is only applied when a Hero has that Stranger as an Enemy and matches the Enemy Tokens provided to each player which are placed on strangers that become Enemies. (Pg. 8) the Lock is for Spells and shows the minimum Study required to use that spell. (Pg. 8)

Q139: If you are in a fight with an enemy do you need to use the sword symbol?

A139: Unless you have an ability that allows you to substitute another Stat for Fight then the crossed sword symbol (Fight) is used to battle Enemies. (Pg. 6)

Q140: Is it a free action to use the tokens you draw?

A140: A Deed may be performed by a hero at any time during their Hero Turn. The use of a Token is through a Deed: Resolve (which is free) (Pg. 21)

Q141: If you have 2 cards on one location do you choose which one you deal with?

A141: Under Action: Confront it states the hero chooses a Single encounter …at their location (emphasis mine) (Pg. 13)

Q142: Can you leave a location which includes an Enemy after it has appeared that turn without retreating?

A142: If an Enemy has appeared as a result of a Location Card draw then you must evade or fight before retreating. If an Enemy has appeared at your location through ha Night Card or on another hero’s turn (and they did not defeat it) then at the start of your next turn you must engage that enemy. I cannot think of another instance whereby an enemy would appear. E.g. the Stranger as soon as it becomes an Enemy states that the Engagement rule kick in (Pg.14), Engagements do not cost AP, and are mandatory for any hero in a location with an Enemy (Pg. 19) and at the beginning of their Hero Turn, the hero must first engage all enemies at their location, if any (in the order of their choice) (Pg. 11)

Q143: If the central location is affected by the gloom do you lose one HP at the end of turn if you've died that turn and been put there.

A143: If you are defeated you have lost all HP and are returned to Sprawl City. During the Night Phase you will not have any HP to lose to the Gloom. In the Dawn phase Defeated Heroes regain 2HP. (Pg. 30)

Q144: Where do the plot cards go when they appear? Do they go on the board or can you go to any matching location to resolve them?

A144: When a particular location type falls into gloom the Ancient will bring a plot card into play, as detailed on the Ancient’s card. This happens after the Night card is fully resolved. As per the example it notes it is at that location (Pg .23)

Q145: If a plot card says "each hero loses 1 AP / HP" does only one person need to be at that location?

A145: Only one hero needs to be at the location but all heroes must be able to meet the requirement i.e. be able to lose an HP / AP refer to the example on Pg .27

Q146: The fog card says prevent "all HP loss you would suffer this round", is that one lot of attacking or the whole round? (i.e if the fight lasts more than one lot of fighting is the damage prevented next time?)

A146: The Battle stage of an engagement is fought over a number of battle rounds. If a card provides an ability that applies to a round it will be only in that particular battle round. To affect all rounds it would have to apply to the Engagement (Pg. 20)

Q147: Joining actions: with 2 players you do a free action to join forces and then roll one lot of combined dice as a single action?

A147: A Non-Engagement Test is undertaken by one of the Team members adding 1 to the total for each other hero in the Team, they do not combine their skills/bonuses. (Pg 21)

Q148: Can players individually add to a final saga or do they have to combine as an action?

A148: A Finale is Confronted as per an Encounter and so would follow the same steps as above (Pg .29)

Q149: When doing the finale saga do both people need to be there when the attempt takes place or at the end to see it's completion?

A149: Cooperative game: Additionally, all heroes must be at a finale’s location for its hero to regale it. (Pg. 17)

Q150: Does fog / the spell that gives you +4 fighting affect an ancient? As the cards don't target the ancient themselves

A150: Yes as long as the card does not specify Enemy and does not cause a Foe to be Defeated then it may be used against an Ancient. (Pg. 26)

Edited: 14/06/2017 for Format Only
Edited 15/06/17 for Additional FAQ Questions 57 to 77 and to add text to Q46 (in red)
Edited 26/06/17 for Additional FAQ Questions 78 to 121
Edited 13/07/17 for additional FAQ Questions 122 to 150

• [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Gloom of Kilforth – Q&A Compilation
Errata:

1. Raging Vampire Card: text notes it requires an Influence 3 Test however the Card Icon requires a Study 3 Test. The Text is correct (Influence 3)

2. Rulebook: At the bottom of page 12 (first column) it says "they must immediately Engage that Enemy, see Search p.13" instead it should say “see Engagement p.19”.

3. Skill: Pious Skill III "(Deed) pay one Gold to gain Fight +1 until the end of the battle round. Limit 6 times per day."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
File Link Gloom of Kilforth - FAQ (unofficial) 140717
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bacon
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you a very kind Hall employee or just an absolute hero?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm merely a mate waiting on his delivery with some free time.

I did it in word for myself then thought there might be others who'd benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Auschrat
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for this! I'm getting tired of having to run upstairs every turn to get clarification on a rule from this site. Now I'll just print this out and keep it with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieron Peacey
United Kingdom
Fowey
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job thanks.

Q4 could be clearer that it refers specifically to the level IV skill.

Q5 you can not use it for your finale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers Kieron fixed up Q4, wrt Q5 when you say you cannot use it for your Finale are you referring to encountering the Ancient One?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieron Peacey
United Kingdom
Fowey
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean the saga finale, since it is a sneak test not a battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
1565, St Elmo's Pay - October 2019 Kickstarter
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, Nick - this is absolutely epic. wow
If you can put the questions (or answers) in bold to stand out I'll give you another bag of GG too... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Challenge accepted...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you for doing this-appreciated. Going to print this out. Am sure there will be more questions that will come up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Great stuff, thanks for doing this.

Did you miss some text on Answer 28? It doesn't answer the question about when map effects are local to the card or when they're global.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Compton
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job, this will come in very handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Carson
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!
So should new questions be added to this thread or as new posts?

If the former:

* Is the "Aid" spell one-use (for one battle) or does it add a permanent +1 to Fight from then on (unless otherwise sacrificed)?

* Can only Rumours with a named location in the lower left corner be Discovered? There are some cards with only a terrain type icon and not a specific location; can these cards be Discovered into Assets at any matching terrain, or will they never become Assets?

I'm sure I (and others) will have more ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dtcarson wrote:
Awesome!

If the former:

* Is the "Aid" spell one-use (for one battle) or does it add a permanent +1 to Fight from then on (unless otherwise sacrificed)?

If you mean Inner Strength - yes, that spell's effect remains in play as you don't need to Veil it.

dtcarson wrote:
* Can only Rumours with a named location in the lower left corner be Discovered? There are some cards with only a terrain type icon and not a specific location; can these cards be Discovered into Assets at any matching terrain, or will they never become Assets?

I'm sure I (and others) will have more

Only rumours with named locations (Rewards) can be discovered, the others (Encounters) cannot become assets (in this game) but they can be discarded for Fate or used towards collecting your Saga keywords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
dtcarson wrote:
Awesome!

If the former:

If you mean Inner Strength - yes, that spell's effect remains in play as you don't need to Veil it.

dtcarson wrote:

I'm sure I (and others) will have more

Only rumours with named locations (Rewards) can be discovered, the others (Encounters) cannot become assets (in this game) but they can be discarded for Fate or used towards collecting your Saga keywords.

That is something I forget also that you can discard rumours for fate. Def need a player aid. Printing anything that Kilforthians post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bacon
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your plan to collate this into categories would make this a document worth printing as a reference. When the questions eventually die down, maybe it would make a good PDF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll tweak the Word Doc in the background and then release as a file just use this forum as a Q&A Storage until as you suggest the questions quieten down.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OP Updated with new questions and amendment.

second Post now for any Errata (Tristan I understand there is one from the Rulebook happy to add in if you lmk what it is)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jokeroz wrote:
OP Updated with new questions and amendment.

second Post now for any Errata (Tristan I understand there is one from the Rulebook happy to add in if you lmk what it is)

At the bottom of page 12 (first column) it says "they must immediately Engage that Enemy, see Search p.13" instead it should say “see Engagement p.19”.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It this FAQ it is stated that Plots and Ancient cards are not considered as Encounters, and so Encounter cards still need to be added when moving to a location which has them.

What about Night cards ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Itai wrote:
It this FAQ it is stated that Plots and Ancient cards are not considered as Encounters, and so Encounter cards still need to be added when moving to a location which has them.

What about Night cards ?

Night encounters are still considered to be encounters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Itai wrote:

What about Night cards ?

Night encounters are still considered to be encounters.

Thank you !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone C.
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Item: Power Gauntlets, what's the * near armor keyword?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |