18 Posts

Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tactics with 2 strengths rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gaurav Savadi
msg tools
Hi,

There are some tactics in the game which have 2 strengths. For example, Classic Army has 8(4). You get 8 strength if the units forming the army are of Age 1 or above, and 4 if not. This makes complete sense.

However, for tactics like Fortifications, Mobile Artillery, why are there 2 strengths? The units forming these tactics are found from Age 1 so they should always get the highest strength bonus.

P.S. Maybe for Mobile Artillery it makes sense, because you can have Genghis. But not sure for Fortifications.

Is it just for consistency?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be for expansion purposes. If they ever invent Age A artillery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis C
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't have the card in front of me, but is it an age 1 or 2 tactic? If it's an age 2 tactic that requires infantry, then Age A warriors would make it antiquated, and you'd get the lesser strength.

If that's not relevant, then I have no idea, haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's because of a leader of which I don't remember the name (Gengis Kahn?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it only matters in the case where you're using Genghis to convert Age A warriors to cavalry for Mobile Artillery. Not sure about Fortifications. Maybe they just wanted to cover their bases in case they ever added an Age A artillery or leader/wonder that converts warriors to artillery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its on Fortifications for future expansion compatibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Magnissimus Maximus
Norway
Tønsberg
Vestfold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Age II units will become obsolete in Age IV, won't they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magnissimus wrote:
There aren't any Age IV tactics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uroš Zorić
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is why Age II tactics are probably most important, you can use them with Age I, II and III units. There has been just a few occasions in our many games where someone actually built up their army to have a Age III tactic army. And that is pretty much the "all-in" point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3EBC wrote:
That is why Age II tactics are probably most important, you can use them with Age I, II and III units.
I would say that Age II military technologies are most important because you can use them with Age I, II, and III tactics.

All the technology cards come out, but not all the tactics come into play, and more importantly, into my hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uroš Zorić
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your logic but on the other hand I do not like to get Age I military tech and then follow it up with Age II, seems wasteful. I will go Age I (aiming to get Knights and Swordsman) to Age III in most of the games. If I skip Age I to get Age II, then I'm probably trailing in the military in Age I-II, and that is not a good timing to be low on the military strength.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you'd beat everyone in my play group!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Strik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
3EBC wrote:
I like your logic but on the other hand I do not like to get Age I military tech and then follow it up with Age II, seems wasteful. I will go Age I (aiming to get Knights and Swordsman) to Age III in most of the games. If I skip Age I to get Age II, then I'm probably trailing in the military in Age I-II, and that is not a good timing to be low on the military strength.
I used to follow the same logic, but lately I go for Age I military (and a cannon in Age II, of course). Cheaper and usually sufficient to last the entire game. Makes it easier to double an Age II army, which is comparable in strength to a single Age III army.
And if you draw a nice Age III tactic, you can always upgrade to Age III military.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magnissimus wrote:
No Military Units or Tactics become obsolete. Ever.

In Age IV you will discard/remove from game:
- Age II Civil/Military cards in your hand.
- Age II Leaders.
- Age II Pacts.
- Unfinished Age II Wonders.

Let me emphasize it again: only Civil/Military cards from your hand are obsoleted. Cards in play stay in the game, notwithstanding the above exceptions (Leaders, Pacts, unfinished Wonders). Therefore, Age II tactics will stay in the game.

Military Units are NEVER obsoleted, if you were referring to Riflemen/Cavalrymen/Cannon with the "Age II units". When Age IV starts you don't destroy your Riflemen, for instance. They stay intact. Even if the rest of the world has moved forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
magnissimus wrote:
Military units do become obsolete. That means they still have their full combat value, but they only generate the reduced value for tactics cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Picon wrote:
magnissimus wrote:
Military units do become obsolete. That means they still have their full combat value, but they only generate the reduced value for tactics cards.
You mean "outdated".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Picon wrote:
magnissimus wrote:
If you're going to try to pedantically correct someone, at least try to be pedantically correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I've lost track of who's winning the "most uselessly pedantic" contest.

"Obsolete" isn't a term in the TTA:ANSOC rules at all, the rules use the term "outdated" for armies with units from older ages, they also use the term "antiquated" for older cards that you discard entirely. The person who said "Civil/Military cards from your hand are obsoleted" is the first person who gets the "Oh no, you used the wrong word, everything you said is invalid" feedback, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls