Subject: Looking for good game stores in NORTHEAST OHIO rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: flgs [+] ohio [+] [View All]
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I just moved to a small town about an hour east of Cleveland in Northeast Ohio. I found the store Diversions nearby in Newbury. Can anyone tell me any other good stores in the area for boardgames and/or rpgs? I'd also be interested in hearing about any good used book stores (especially those that might have some used rpgs). Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, Diversions was somewhat of a dump. And it is really, really bad if you can't handle smoke (unless they cleaned up their act over the past couple years). Most of the good games stores are on the west side:

I'm Game (in Great Northern Mall) - North Olmstead
Gamer's Haven - Middleburg Heights
Warzone Matrix - Rocky River

Where exactly are you located in Ohio? Looking through some of your higher rated games, you might want to stop in at one of the NGA's library monthly con's at the Euclid Library. The next one is on July 21st. Some of the guys tend to favor wargames, but most are willing to dive into all sorts of other games.

(Edit: I won't be able to make the 21st because of a softball tourney. Summer is tough for me to game on the weekends.)

Coincidentally, I was going to start looking for some local (east side) gamers once softball is done with. I live in Chardon, which may or may not be close to you. How much do you game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Howdy, Chardon is actually very close. I'm in Middlefield. Right now most of my games are in storage in PA, but I'll be able to get some out in a few weeks. I don't have too much time family at home, but I'd definitely be up for an occasional Saturday afternoon or evening. You'd make my day if you and whoever you know would be up for Twilight Imperium III- I've got it but haven't been able to play yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vanek
United States
Twinsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also all american comics in Warren which might not be too far from you. I find myself going to the places that Mike listed most often, myself. I would add recess games to his list, which is 2 stores down from im game and carries more miniature based stuff.

Z

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mendon Dornbrook
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
"Go with the grace and protection of the Lord." It's the usual mantra for the big hero.
badge
The ticket to the future is always open.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a game store in north eastern ohio in Euclid (I think) called comic heaven. There is some limited gaming there but they have rpgs, ccgs, and some board games. They also have a section of the store devoted to comics and to minis (collectible and playable). Comic Heaven has opportunities to game at the store, especially as you develop a relationship with them. They're pretty cool. There's a different game store, down around Akron, if you're closer to Akron than Euclid, Kenmore Comics that also has games but it's been long enough that I don't know what their inventory is like. If you're looking for a really good game store in Northeastern Ohio, I'm afraid you're mostly out of luck (I was born and raised in Mentor, OH....).

Edit: Comic Heaven is pretty close. It's on Robin Hood drive off of Euclid Avenue which is a few miles northeast of rt 90 from the 91/som center rd exit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Schenectady
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I'm not from Ohio(in fact never been there), I've dealt with a very nice guy(whose name I forgot) who owns a place called Spellbinders in Kent. I've not been to his store(obviously), but I've ordered from his website(www.spellme.com). He was quick to answer questions, packed and shipped in a timely manner, and I got what I ordered. If he takes care of his walk in customers as good as his internet customers, I'd say he has a very good store.

Edit: I just remembered the owners name is Paul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lazar
United States
Sagamore Hills
Ohio
flag msg tools
SLAVES! Built America.
badge
This is your song. Thank you slaves.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been to Spellbinders and can give them a nod of approval. They have a basement for tournaments and a good selection of miniatures. If you're willing to drive an hour to Kent they are worth the distance. I've gotten some great CCG single purchases from them as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Bartlett
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some PRETTY DARNED GOOD game stores in NE Ohio - just not on the East Side of Cleveland, anymore.

"Gamer's Haven" in Middleburg Heights is excellent, and has just added about 60% more inventory to their BG stock.

"I'm Game" is in Great Northern Mall in North Olmsted, and is a really good mall store. Great owners.

"Kenmore Komics and Games" has no playing space, but has a GREAT inventory for Euros, CMGs, comics, RPGs and other types of games. They also give 10% off orders over $50, at least, they used to.

I miss the terrific stores in NE Ohio - I was there last week, and picked up Antike and Imperial off the shelf at Gamer's Haven. MSRP, sure, but in stock when I wanted it, and Wally is a great guy.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Moody
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just call the store before you go. Anywhere you go will be a bit of a drive from Middlefield, and you don't want to find the store closed or out of business. Spellbinders, for example, is no longer brick and mortar as far as I am aware.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, time to fill you in on some more stuff in Northeast Ohio.

THE Number #1 place to shop for BoardGames in Northeast Ohio is Underhill's Games, in Cuyahoga Falls. Definitely better than driving all the way out to North Olmstead, although I would have to agree with those who previously mentioned "I'm Game" as a great store, too. However, I am partial to Underhill's, as that is my friend that owns the store, and he is a very good game player and a great store owner.

www.underhillsgames.com

There is lots and lots of room to play the games that you like, and he has a plethora of "Store Copy Demos" for pretty much any game you want to try. He also does a monthly event called "Bored? Game Day" whereby he opens his store for people to come in and play and demo games. There is a "fee", but he feeds you all day with free food and drink, and he also gives you store credit for trying out games. It has been a lot of fun for the ones that I have attended, and I have been one of the regular game "demo-ers" teaching Power Grid to new players.

Also, to back up what jmoody said, yes, it is true, Spellbinders in Kent, Ohio has closed its doors - last November 1, 2006 to be exact. Supposedly Paul can sell you things through his website mentioned above, but I would take that with a grain of salt considering he doesn't have a storefront any more. Spellbinders had actually been in decline over the past 5 years up until their closing, as gaming in general has dropped off tremendously in Kent and Ravenna since the late 90's (when Paul had as many as 4 Spellbinder's locations).

I will also throw out another name of a store in Cuyahoga Falls, although I am not aware of the current status of this store. It is called GameTrader, or at least that was what it used to be called, but in the last 5 years, it has gone through 4 different owners, and the new owner may have changed the name. I have not been to that store in nearly 2 years, so I cannot vouch for anything.

"Gamer's Haven" in Middleburg Heights is another example of a great gaming store with lots of play space. I have visited that store a few times here and there, and I know that he has regular gaming events going on quite frequently. I think that it might be more geared to miniatures games (such as WH40K or D&D Minis), although he may have board games, too. http://www.screamingdragon.com/

"Recess Games" moved locations a few years ago into Great Northern Mall, and yes, is about 2 stores down from "I'm Game". Not a lot of competition, though, as "Recess Games" is more like a Miniatures gaming store rather than a board game store - at least that was how I remember it being when I last visited about 2 years ago.

Northeast Ohio is an awesome gaming area. AnCon is finally coming back, and it should be a pretty decent event. Mayfair will be the primary gaming sponsor, and Underhill's will be one of the exhibitors.

www.anothergamecon.com

Welcome to Norhteast Ohio. If you are willing to drive, you will feel quite welcome in this area when it comes to games and having fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Hudak
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While this is probably farther south than what you want, http://www.kenmore-komics.com/ is probably the best gaming store in Ohio. I honestly haven't seen one that is more well stocked.

Underhill's Games ranks up there too, but I haven't been there since it first opened up so I can't really comment.

Spellbinders does have a brick and mortar still (to my knowledge), but its back in an alley and very hard to find.

Tyler
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Manning
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another store in Cuyahoga Falls is JC's Comics & Cards. The store carries a number of games, including Euros, RPGs, and CCGs. And John is an owner that takes his customer service seriously.

The Game Trader store is now in a new location on Oakwood Dr. in Cuyahoga Falls, and there is gaming there most every night of the week.

Underhill's is a nice store as well.

Warzone Matrix is not IN Rocky River, but rather in Cleveland, on Rocky River Dr., north of Hopkins airport (west side of Cleveland).

There are also a number of game/toy stores in the Hudson area that carry a variety of games, but the names elude me.

Pat in Cuyahoga Falls

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Keenan
msg tools
I'm right on the boarder of the PA/Ohio line. Might be toot far for a lot of people closer to the city. Takes about 30 mins from Conneaut and almost an hour from Chardon/Madison areas but there is a great little place over the boarder in Erie, Pa. Books Galore. Looks tiny from the outside and the game section is limited to a corner.... but they cram in metric poop ton of games (board, card, dice, RPG). Better stocked than a lot of game stores I have been too.

Take 90 E to 79 N, first exit make a right, left on Peach Street and it's past the mall.

They do the free comic book day and the free RPG day.

Great staff as well. GF and me have driven an hour out of our way just to go browsing there for books and games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Veneskey
United States
Barberton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another vote for Kenmore Comics.
I've been going there since the late 90s.

That's a shame about Spellbinders - there was actually one in Akron - they bought out my original favorite game store "Little Shop of War".
I used to walk to that store in the early 80s... (Still have his business card someplace)

I actually went to Underhills for the first time this past weekend (I've been in this area for ages - and never been there) for an RPG swap meet I saw mentioned on FB. Maybe I was too early, but their swap meet selection was just a dozen or so Pathfinder books that I saw.

The place is smaller than Kenmore Comics, and I think it had a lot fewer games.
Maybe Sunday afternoon was just a bad time to be in the area - but parking was a major pain at Underhills. Always plenty of parking near K.C.
I'll probably check them out again sometime - and give the parking another chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Urbanski
msg tools
I am from the western 'burbs of Cleveland, so most of the stores I know are from that area. Let me update a few things

--Gamer's Haven: Moved down the street, now technically located in Parma Hts. However, still one of the best selections. Good RPG book supply and large numbers of miniatures too, if that is your thing.

--Recess Games (North Olmsted): More like a "Top 40" game store. Has recent releases and generally popular games, but not a ton beyond that. I thought there used to be more Recess Games locations, but they might have gone down to just one. They also have organized play.

--Kidforce Collectables (Berea): Near the BW campus. Pretty good selection of board games, but more focused on Magic the Gathering and comic books. Still, worth a look.

Also, lately Target stores carry a few board games. Not any great selection, but you can snag a clearance deal here and there: I got 7 Wonders for $20 and Machi Koro for $8.

Between those three, I can often find what I am looking for and knowledgeable people to talk to. I haven't been to the stores on the east side, so I will take your recommendations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Murphy
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Lakes Game Emporium in Mentor is really good.
Their games are all discounted 20% from list price & if you're into Magic they do gaming sessions every night. They're closed on Tuesdays.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&c...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls