Canada
bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon is the kind of game that lends itself to tournaments, and, inspired by other BGGers who were pitting every race against each other, my wife and I decided to have Mega Tournament. Every race would fight every other race in a match up to five crystals.

This meant each race would be in eight matches, so after randomly assigning each pairing a number, we began. We tried to ensure that each of us would play each race four times, and with the exception of the Vulca, which I played five times, and the Hoax, which my wife played five times, all other races were played evenly.

We kept track of wins and losses, and total crystals won. We decided that the winner would be determined by most wins, with crystals being the tie breaker. In keeping track of the crystals, we recorded how many were won, even if in excess of the five necessary to win the match.

We had played all of the decks in excess of 15 times each, but had not previously played every single pairing.

In twenty-eight days we played 98 games of Blue Moon, and I would be lying if I said there weren't times where we both became very frustrated with certain decks, and threw our cards on the table as our race got pounded. On the whole, however, it was a lot of fun, and while we won't be pulling Blue Moon out tonight to play, 98 games did whet our appetite for a few rematches and gave us a whole lot of insight into some of the races, and left a lot of unanswered questions as well.

This is a really great game, and that we are considering what races we would like to pit against each other again--next month at the earliest--is a testament to what an excellent game this is.

So here are the results starting with eighth place (there was a tie for third). Included will be wins/losses and who the race won against. Stayed tuned after the results, for a brief rundown of each match.

Eighth

Flit wins: 2 (Pillar, Khind)
losses: 6
crystals: 16

This is my favourite deck, but it took me until the end of the tournament to really get the hang of it. We thought they would do much better, but each race requires different tactics to play against with the Flit. They definitely put up a good fight, but they are also a very challenging deck to play. If we were to have another, I think they would do much better. Until then . . . .

Seventh

Pillar: wins: 3 (Vulca, Mimix, Khind)
losses: 5
crystals: 29

Another very interesting deck that didn't come on strong until the end. They did have some big wins, and put up strong fights, so their crystal count was quite high. Consistency was the main issue with the Pillar in the tournament. Oddly enough, the bottom two decks managed to hand the Khind, one of the top decks, a defeat. This is another deck we look forward to trying again.

Sixth

Vulca: wins: 3 (Flit, Terrah, Hoax)
losses: 5
crystals: 31

When we first got Blue Moon, the Vulca seemed quite powerful, but their placing in the bottom half was not a big surprise now that we have played them and other decks more. They certainly have their moments, and they beat both the Hoax and the Terrah, but are not one of the more interesting decks to play.

Fifth

Aqua: wins: 4 (Vulca, Flit, Pillar, Khind)
losses: 4
crystals: 38

The first race to beat the 500 mark; go hard or go home seems to be the order of the day for the Aqua. Sometimes you can really hammer your opponent and other times you just can't seem to get anything going. Still an interesting deck to play. Only the Buka won more crystals.

Fourth

Buka: wins: 4 (Flit, Vulca, Pillar, Aqua)
losses: 4
crystals: 39
An interesting deck and challenging to play. They hit the 500 mark but were not able to beat one of the top ranked races. Another race we look forward to playing again. Probably could have done better. They did win more crystals than any other race.

Third

Hoax: wins: 5 (Terrah, Flit, Pillar, Buka, Aqua)
losses: 3
crystals: 35

No surprise that the Hoax did well, although I would have predicted second or first, instead of tied for third. This is a very resourceful deck. Just when you think they are going to have to retreat, they manage to pull something out of the bag to win the fight. A very tough opponent.

Third

Khind: wins: 5 (Vulca, Mimix, Hoax, Terrah, Buka)
crystals: 35

No surprise that the Khind finished well. A tricky, scrappy deck, which can be extremely annoying to play against. This is a fun deck to manage though and you can really put the stranglehold on your opponent. Tension was in the air any time it was their turn to play. They managed to beat the first second, and the other third ranked race.

Second

Terrah: Wins: 5 (Flit, Buka, Mimix, Aqua, Pillar)
Losses: 3
Crystals: 36

No surprise that this race did well. I don't find them a terribly interesting deck to play, but you certainly have to work hard to play against them, and they can be as annoying as the Khind to play against. They took a good drubbing from the Khind and the Hoax.

First

Mimix: wins: 5 (Flit, Vulca, Buka, Hoax, Aqua)
crystals: 37

This was a surprise. We had played the Mimix fewer times than any other deck, and they seemed rather weak. Over the course of the tournament, though, we discovered that this is a very balanced, straight-shooting kind of deck that is rarely at a loss to do something, and is a fairly interesting deck to play.

The top four races were extremely close.

What follows is a brief summary of the 36 matches, including a breakdown of how many crystals were won in each game of the match:

G1 G2 G3 G4 G5

Match 1:
Terrah 4 3
vs
Flit 2

This was a very close match--much more than the score indicates.

Match 2:
Aqua 3 4
vs
Pillar

The Pillar were pounded into submission.

Match 3:
Mimix 4 4
vs
Bukka 4

Very back and forth, with the Mimix playing very well.

Match 4:
Pillar 1 3
vs
Hoax 4 2

Very scrappy--between hand disclosures and the Hoax's special power text this was a very contested match.

Match 5:
Hoax
vs
Mimix 4 4

The Hoax were never in this one, and could not compete against the Mimx.

Match 6:
Aqua 2 3
vs
Khind 3

Very close, very evenly matched contest.

Match 7:
Buka 3
vs
Terrah 4 2

The Terrah's special power text and leadership cards got the better of the Invanders.

Match 8:
Vulca 4
vs
Buka 3 3

One of the closest matches of the whole tournament.

Match 9:
Aqua 4
vs
Mimix 4 4

The Mimix continued their undefeated streak, pumelling the Aqua after their promising first game.

Match 10:
Khind 1 2
vs
Pillar 4 2

Another of the most contested matches of the tournament--an excellent pairing.

Match 11:
Khind 2 1 3
vs
Terrah 3 1

Brutal, knock-down, dragout kind of match. Like to put these two against each other again.

Match 12:
Pillar 3
vs
Flit 1 4

The Pillar had character card issues, but the Flit did a good job in their own right.

Match 13:
Buka 2
vs
Khind 3 4

The Khind's pesky little rules ruined the Buka's plans!

Match 14:
Mimix
vs
Terrah 4 4

Bullies pummell the opposition.

Match 15:
Khind 3 2
vs
Mimix

The Mimix's undefeated streak seriously derailed by brats.

Match 16:
Buka 4 1
vs
Pillar 1

The second and third game were very close indeed.

Match 17:
Mimix 4 2
vs
Flit 2

The Flit had problems with their endgame.

Match 18:
Aqua
vs
Terrah 4 2

Halfway point of the tournament, in which the Terrah make mud out of the Aqua.

Match 19:
Hoax 4 4
vs
Buka 4

The Hoax were up to their old tricks again.

Match 20:
Vulca 2
vs
Mimix 3 4

The Mimix bounced back in style and did well in the endgame against the Vulca.

Match 21:
Khind
vs
Flit 2 3

The Flit totally had the Khind's number.

Match 22:
Pillar 4
vs
Terrah 2 3

The Pillar crushed the Terrah in the second game, but the Bullies prevailed.

Match 23:
Hoax 4
vs
Khind 2 1 1 1

Even the Hoax couldn't out trick the trickiest deck, although they certainly limit what the Khind can do.

Match 24:
Khind 2 4
vs
Vulca

The Khind mopped the floor with the Vulca.

Match 25:
Vulca 4 4
vs
Hoax

Hoax were never in this one--wiped off the map.

Match 26:
Buka 4 4
vs
Aqua 4

Both these decks have the potential to win big, but the Buka's ships were at full sail all the way.

Match 27:
Hoax 4 2
vs
Aqua 4

A very close match, with the Aqua nearly taking it.

Match 28:
Vulca 4
vs
Aqua 2 4

Both decks seemed a little unbalanced in this match up.

Match 29:
Flit 2
vs
Hoax 2 4

The Flit put up a good fight.

Match 30:
Hoax 1 4
vs
Terrah

Awful initial hands for the Terrah, which in the second game led to a drubbing.

Match 31:
Buka 4 4
vs
Flit

The Flit were overwhelmed.

Match 32:
Vulca 4 4
vs
Terrah

The Vulca totally had the Terrah's number in this one.

Match 33:
Pillar 4 2
vs
Mimix

The Pillar took down the frontrunner in some very big fights.

Match 34:
Vulca 4
vs
Pillar 4 2

Too little too late for the Pillar to place highly, but they were definitely coming into their own near the end of the contest.

Match 35:
Vulca 2 4
vs
Flit

The Flit held their own but couldn't pull off a victory.

Match 36:
Flit
vs
Aqua 4 4

The Flit get pummelled.

Looking at this long list of matches, I was surprised by how many games involved winning by four dragons. I think that when you get down by two dragons, you have to play to win, and can often end up down four dragons.

By the way, by the end of the tournament, my wife was up on me by four games, so there is no question about rematch . . . some day.

Edit: To Correct bookkepping error in match 28.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!

And thanks for adding the individual match data at the end. I'm tempted (when I have more time) to see if I can play with that data and get anything out of it.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris carleton
Canada
bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I too will be interested to see what can be gained from it. I thought it was interesting the the teams with the highest number of crystals were fifth and sixth respectively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's a lot of gameplay - congrats! Unfortunately my own attempt at mass gameplay fizzled out because I haven't been able to catch the person I started playing those games with online AND available to play in a couple of months. Blah.

If I'd been able to continue doing my own little marathon 'd probably have ordered by crystals instead of wins, because ordering by wins allows scenarios like in match 23, where the match was actually very close but with the four wins Khind got a very strong overall standings boost while Hoax didn't really get the credit they deserved for a tight match.

Otherwise, it's possible when ordering by wins for a people to earn more wins than an opponent and still lose the match... say, if people deck #1 wins four games 1-0 but people deck #2 wins the next two games, 4-0 and 4-0 and consequently the match 8-4.

I'd also probably have used the head-to-head match as the tiebreaker instead of wins. Would be interesting to reanalyze the data using those criteria and see if the order changes much. I'll probably do it some other time, when it's not going on 4 am...

Edit: i was just peeking at Aqua's crystal totals and counted 34 crystals based on the match results, but you've got them posted as winning 38. Did I miss something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jowjow wrote:
Otherwise, it's possible when ordering by wins for a people to earn more wins than an opponent and still lose the match... say, if people deck #1 wins four games 1-0 but people deck #2 wins the next two games, 4-0 and 4-0 and consequently the match 8-4.

You really should score that 5-4, not 8-4. Once you've reached 4 crystals, I don't care how much you win by, just if you win. So I'm prepared to take what would (in an earlier game) be risks that are a bad idea, on the grounds of win or bust. Also if you play in a tournament where that score above 4 is valuable, you can get situations where, say 2-0 up and leading 3-0 you try to give up a dragon, so as to only win 4-0, giving you a chance of an 8-0. Have I seen this in Blue Moon? No. But I have seen it playing Settlers in a touranment format that rewarded scores above 10, you got some distorted games in people playing for 11 (and rules questions in that case that are off the point here). They changed the format to scores above 10 counted as 10. That's the reason why that restriction is in the official (but rarely used I think) Simple Tournament Rules. (Note I'm saying you shouldn't score above 5 for the same reason as that's in the STR, not because it's in the STR.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris carleton
Canada
bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
i was just peeking at Aqua's crystal totals and counted 34 crystals based on the match results, but you've got them posted as winning 38. Did I miss something?

Yes, I missed something in match 28, where I credited the Vulca with four crystals belonging to the Aqua.

We thought of a few different ways of tallying, but were interested in finding out how the crystals vs. wins would play out. It seems that some races win big when they do win, while others tend to get just enough.

A head to head tie breaker would have been interesting, especially with four races tied for wins we could have had semi-finals and finals. Maybe next time. For now, other games are calling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
And thanks for adding the individual match data at the end. I'm tempted (when I have more time) to see if I can play with that data and get anything out of it.

Well since Matthew hasn't done so yet, here's something from me (which someone can check if they want to).

We've had two all-play-alls so far. One on games, one on campaigns. But we can compare the two orderings

T H A F B K M P V
M T (K H) B A V P F

So how well are they correlated? Well I make their Spearman rank correlation coefficient 0.304, which is definitely not significant
(0.683 to even reach 5% with 9 rankings according to a table I
found).

Or in other words, as is actually fairly obvious, not enough evidence to decide which decks are winners. (And that's ignoring the "in whose hands and played how issue.)

But that's good news, not bad.

I find it amusing that the Buka are rock solid centre on both. But that's not actually significant either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls