Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

We'll always have Thyssa Kimbo (snicker).

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
3 Minute Boardgames
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
3 minute board games
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha,Great minds and all that.

I've been working on a sci-fi COIN game for 6 months or so. Set during a Martian revolt 200 years into colonization.

http://vom-krieg.blogspot.co.nz/2017/07/red-dust-revolution-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrik Bøe
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dammit! I was just toying with the idea of a martian insurgency...

Oh well, back to the drawing board. Or rather, I never got to the drawing board so no work wasted at least!

I do wonder if nonviolent insurgents (introduced in Gandhi) might not be a very good fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott D
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ithkrall wrote:
Ha,Great minds and all that.

I've been working on a sci-fi COIN game for 6 months or so. Set during a Martian revolt 200 years into colonization.

http://vom-krieg.blogspot.co.nz/2017/07/red-dust-revolution-...

Sounds cool. Also, no real overlap with mine. Mone's set in a distant (though still really existing) galaxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abe Delnore
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
Star Wars would work well for four. Sith, Jedi, Empire & Rebellion.

But that ain't gonna happen...
My son and I did some thinking along these lines. We had a longer timeframe in mind, so the story spans the rise and fall of Emperor Palpatine. In COIN terms our factions are the Imperialists, Republicans, Separatists, and Corporations.

Part of why we had a longer timeframe in mind is that, for the detailed storyline of the Galactic Civil War, there is already a very good game that presents the Rebellion as an insurgency, and it's called Star Wars: Rebellion. You are just not going to beat it for immersion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott D
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rebellion is indeed a great game. I'd love to see a Star Wars COIN, but I doubt Asmodee/FFG would ever agree to that, and, even if they did, the licensing fee would likely be enormous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrik Bøe
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FFGs Android setting already has the elements needed for a Mars COIN, I think. Mars is controlled by the Martian Colonial Authority (COIN faction), which is working both for the earth governments but also for the interests of the Megacorps (green economic faction, guerrillas could be black ops teams). The opposition is the Free Mars Council, also known as the Clans (the descendants of the original martian colonists who are seeing their world being taken away) as well as the Crimson Dust (led by a prophet that claims that life on Earth originated on Mars, and are using genetic engineering to adapt themselves to life on Mars).

Pros: Such a game would pull in both those interested in COIN on Mars, AND fans of the Android setting. It has background, conflicts and characters already established.

Cons: You need to get FFG and GMT to work together, somehow. Could FFG licence the COIN engine...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abe Delnore
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ulrik wrote:
Cons: You need to get FFG and GMT to work together, somehow. Could FFG licence the COIN engine...?
Sure, they could. FFG is in the business of all kinds of licenses. I understand that FFG licensed the mechanics of Dune though not the setting in order to create Rex: Final Days of an Empire, which is set in FFG's own Twilight Imperium universe. Would GMT license out COIN? Why not?

But I just don't see why anyone would go to the trouble here. FFG has the Star Wars setting license. FFG used that license to create a pretty good game of asymmetrical warfare about it. That game does a very good job of reproducing the interest of the setting by incorporating the characters and other elements of the movies into SW:R at a very basic level. I mean, I get to have Luke Skywalker and Lando Calrissian go on a mission involving X-Wings and Corellian Frigates! The movie plays in my head.

Turning this into COIN--flip a card, make a decision, move some cubes around--just seems like a step away from what the people want in a Star Wars game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG has joined forces with Settlers of Catan for a Game of Thrones / Catan mashup. So long as both parties are open to the idea, I think it can happen.

From what I can see of the coin games vs Rebellion though... while Rebellion has accessibility and ease down it feels like an asymetric war game of two forces vs a multifaceted conflict study of an enforcer vs an insurgency. I haven't tried a COIN game yet but I'm impressed with what I read about, and I wouldn't mind a Star Wars game processed in the same engine (Rebellion / Empire / Black Sun / Hutts / Confederacy Holdouts). Given my trend for various art projects when I get an idea, I could probably push my own prototype forward for such a thing after experiencing a COIN engine.

I don't know if FFG would find Rebellion already covers the space that a COIN game would do. On the other hand they just announced Star Wars: Legion, a game which largely covers the same infantry combat scope as their earlier Imperial Assault, and is kind of a duplication of effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  |