United States
Maine
flag msg tools
In the non-culinary sense, of course.
badge
Metagaming?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

I just recently ordered a copy of third edition, only to discover upon receipt that they sent one of the expansions by mistake.

The retailer no longer has third edition in stock, but they do have second. Is there any reason I shouldn't be satisfied with second edition if they throw in a mounted board?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so, especially if they don't make you pay for the expansion laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P C
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
Metagaming?
mbmbmbmbmb
Avtomatik wrote:
I don't think so, especially if they don't make you pay for the expansion laugh

Well, I have to send the expansion back, and they'll send me second edition plus a mounted board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I recall, there's some minor clarifications in the cards on third ed, and the rulebook got some updates (available in the living rules). Generally, the board is the big one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Fort St James
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also if you write to GMT they may be willing to sell you just the cards for 3rd ed. Possibly the cards & rulebook.

But honestly the changes weren't all that significant. I think they were entirely clarifications, not rules changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The third edition rules were a major editing job, which addressed the FAQ that had been generated since the game began. Second edition was a fast reprint that only fixed some typos.

There were no actual rule "changes" in 3rd but there were some significant clarifications that felt like changes.

But you can download the living rules from GMT.

And you would better off tossing the 2nd edition rules and going onlywith the download exclusively.(I know that sounds extreme but I am serious).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P C
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
Metagaming?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help, folks, I appreciate it.

I'm going to write in and see if I can get a copy of the rules and cards, and failing that at least print out a copy from their website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clay stretch
United States
Panama City beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GET THE SECOND EDITION WHILE YOU CAN! I can't stress this enough. You can always print off the current rule book from living rules file. The core game is getting scarce. The mounted board comes with second ed. I believe. And I would keep your expansion, especially if it's Greeks and eastern empires. Hell keep it any way, they are all wonderful (but epic just didn't scratch me like I thought it would), so I collected the armies, all 8 of them and have never enjoyed wargaming more than now. Wish we had these in high school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'd like to know which edition I got off Ebay a few years ago - how can I tell?
My rule book does not have an edition number on it, as far as I can see, and neither does the game box.
My map is mounted, I guess, if folding heavy card stock counts as mounted.
I've downloaded the latest living rules from the GMT site, but I'd like to know which edition the rest of my components are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The printing appears at the bottom center of the front box cover. If there's nothing, that indicates first printing. The heavy cardstock mapboard is also first (or second) printing.

The mounted board is on thick cardboard like an AH map. It's also double-sided, with half of a double-wide epic map on back.

So, pretty sure you have a first printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rindis wrote:
The printing appears at the bottom center of the front box cover. If there's nothing, that indicates first printing. The heavy cardstock mapboard is also first (or second) printing.

The mounted board is on thick cardboard like an AH map. It's also double-sided, with half of a double-wide epic map on back.

So, pretty sure you have a first printing.

So, am I good to go as long as I use the living rules, or is there anything I must get to bring my components up to date? I'm OK with the folding cardboard map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Sonny Rollins - A Night at the Village Vanguard
badge
Gates of Eden - Ethan Coen
mbmbmbmbmb
ThreeTimer wrote:
So, am I good to go as long as I use the living rules, or is there anything I must get to bring my components up to date? I'm OK with the folding cardboard map.

My opinion is that people are worrying way too much over this. I've still got the first printing, and it's certainly fit for purpose. Learn by reading the current rules and you'll be fine with any of the print runs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As with nearly any GMT game, getting the current rules is certainly sufficient. If you really want to get up to date, there were some clarifications on the cards with third printing, and a new deck could be good. But... go have fun with what you have, and only worry about it if you turn into a big fan willing to put down extra money. If anything does come up, the section in the back of the rules should handle it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
OK, thanks.

One more question: In the Community Wiki near the bottom of this game page, there is a BGG FAQ file, dated from late January 2008. Is this still the most up-to-date FAQ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming you start with the living rules, you have no need for a 2008 FAQ (or any other FAQ that predates them). It might be interesting from a historical perspective of how the rules evolved, but if you're trying to learn how to play it would simply be a distraction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sphere wrote:
Assuming you start with the living rules, you have no need for a 2008 FAQ (or any other FAQ that predates them). It might be interesting from a historical perspective of how the rules evolved, but if you're trying to learn how to play it would simply be a distraction.

Their wording seems clearer and I don't have to thumb through 24 pages to find something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThreeTimer wrote:
Sphere wrote:

Their wording seems clearer and I don't have to thumb through 24 pages to find something.

FAQs are written for particular versions; when a new version comes out it typically incorporates the previous FAQ (and if need be a new FAQ is started). When you go back a decade, you might find corrections to wording that no longer exists in subsequent versions, or references to cases that might have moved elsewhere.

The idea behind living rules is to get away from FAQs and have the latest and greatest in one place, but if you like the older rules you'd want the corresponding FAQ.

I won't comment further. You asked for advice and I gave mine; you needn't follow it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sphere wrote:

FAQs are written for particular versions; when a new version comes out it typically incorporates the previous FAQ (and if need be a new FAQ is started). When you go back a decade, you might find corrections to wording that no longer exists in subsequent versions, or references to cases that might have moved elsewhere.

I'm aware of that. That's why I asked whether FAQ's dating from 2008 were still relevant.

Quote:
The idea behind living rules is to get away from FAQs and have the latest and greatest in one place, but if you like the older rules you'd want the corresponding FAQ.

Agreed on the living rules part, but I for one probably would not expect a publisher to maintain various rules versions and their corresponding FAQ's, errata and similar stuff. If there were a segment of the community of players that liked older rules better than new ones, then I would expect the burden of maintaining such rules and any accompanying FAQ's to fall upon that community, not the publisher, and for those materials to be clearly denoted as not being part of the current up-to-date rules.

Quote:
I won't comment further. You asked for advice and I gave mine; you needn't follow it.

And I certainly appreciate your and anyone else's advice. I'm currently learning the game, so everything helps - thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls