United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya all,

Remember me? No, I didn't think you would. It's been ages. Times have changed.

Of course, I haven't - I'm stuck in the past like a dinosaur.

[Aside for those of you who don't know/can't remember me: In 2006 I founded Reiver Games to sell 100 hand-made copies of my first game: Border Reivers. I sold those in the first year, in the second I made 300 hand-made copies of Yehuda Berlinger's It's Alive!, which again I sold in a year. Then I got MS, my life insurance paid out, I invested a load of my life insurance and made the jump to professional publisher. I made thousands of games in factories in the UK and Germany and sold them to shops and distributors worldwide. Sadly, as with so many small businesses, I ran out of cash, sold my remaining stock to liquidators and lost a chunk of money, plus I'd not taken any salary out of the company for the full five years.
TL/DR: I've run a board game publisher before, but I was crap at it.
]

I'm starting another board game publishing company (Eurydice Games) in the next couple of months, initially making a hand-made run of Zombology. Seriously. I'm at it again. And hand-made games taking no money until I've got a game ready to ship, in this era of Kickstarter. What an idiot.

If you know anyone who would be interested in keeping track of what I'm up to, please could you get them to contact me here or on twitter (@jackson_pope) and I can add them to my new company mailing list (I got rid of all my mailing lists when I shut Reiver Games down for Data Protection reasons).

Also, if you know anyone interested in zombies, mad scientists, homeopathy, filler games, card-drafting or semi-co-ops, please can you point them to Zombology(and in particular the second edition rules), and hopefully some of them might pre-order!

Thanks for your time!

Cheers,

Jack
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck, Jack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornishlee wrote:
Good luck, Jack.

Thanks, Lee. Appreciated :-)

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in for a copy. Good luck you crazy dude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:
I'm in for a copy. Good luck you crazy dude.

Hiya Tony,

Good to hear from you again. You sir, are a king among men. Thank you!

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good luck to you in your endeavour - you seem to have balls of brass a lot of courage!

I'm no fan of Zombie games, but I hope you have a lot of success with other 'niche' titles in future. I mean, who wouldn't like to see The World Cup Game again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
Very good luck to you in your endeavour - you seem to have balls of brass a lot of courage!

I'm no fan of Zombie games, but I hope you have a lot of success with other 'niche' titles in future. I mean, who wouldn't like to see The World Cup Game again?

Thanks Enoon.

I've a few other titles up my sleeve, but The World Cup Game was nothing to do with me!

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
This site needs a forum where we can put the faux offended so we can ignore them.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no, not you again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tel999 wrote:
Oh no, not you again

Hiya Terry,

Yes, like a bad rash you can't get rid of me. I'd recommend antibiotics or speaking to your doctor.

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Robson
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
Available from www.spielmaterial.de
badge
Got a light, mate?
mbmbmbmbmb
All the very best in your new venture.

Like Enoon, I'm no big fan of zombie games, but if Border Reivers ever makes a reappearance, count me in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainJax wrote:
enoon wrote:

The World Cup Game was nothing to do with me!
Ah, I knew that, but I think the designer could be amenable to having it re-published ... well, one can dream. It struck me as being a good title for a 'personal endeavour'.

Cheerio
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brainrob wrote:
All the very best in your new venture.

Like Enoon, I'm no big fan of zombie games, but if Border Reivers ever makes a reappearance, count me in.

Hiya Brian,

I've done some work on a second edition of Border Reivers, trying to incorporate some of the things I've learnt in the 13 years since I first designed it. It's still a work in progress though. At the moment I've been looking at reducing the randomness of the reinforcements, reducing it to 2-player to avoid turtling in 3/4 player games and trying to make it a bit more thematic.

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
CaptainJax wrote:
enoon wrote:

The World Cup Game was nothing to do with me!
Ah, I knew that, but I think the designer could be amenable to having it re-published ... well, one can dream. It struck me as being a good title for a 'personal endeavour'.

Cheerio

Hiya Enoon,

The plan is to focus on the bits of Reiver Games that I was good at and successful at: hand-making games. I could publish others games, but that adds a financial overhead in royalty payments and a bookkeeping overhead in managing royalties, and this time round I'm doing it around a full-time job and a young family, so time is of the essence!

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
I guess I don't know Jack.

(That one never gets old.)

Me neither. Just out of curiosity, what is meant by a "hand-made" game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

*grin*

Hiya Koldfoot,

Let's rectify that! Hi, I'm Jack. I'm a 41-year old father of two girls (4.75 years & 5 weeks) and I've been married for nearly 14 years. I've been making games (initially bits of computer games) since I was 10. I'm trained as a Software Engineer, but now work as a Manager, leading the company I used to work for between 2001-05 and the summer of 2010 and again since 2011 as a satellite office of an American corporation. I've been designing board games since 2004, released Border Reivers in 2006 and have exhibited at the UK Games Expo (2007, 2008 & 2009) and Essen (2009 and 2010 I think). Big fan of Sci Fi (e.g. new BSG, Firefly, Iain M Banks, Frederick Pohl), politics (e.g. The West Wing).

I like designing, doing the graphic design, and hand-crafting board games.

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snardo wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Me neither. Just out of curiosity, what is meant by a "hand-made" game?

I get the artwork professionally printed and laminated onto A3 sheets. I get the box art professionally printed and laminated onto vinyl stickers. I buy sheets of greyboard/chipboard, cut the box nets out of the greyboard, score, fold and tape the boxes and then apply the labels. I cut the cards out of the sheets by hand and then use a special tool to round the corners of the cards. It takes about 45 mins to make a copy of Zombology (it was 3 hours for Border Reivers due to lots of tiles!).

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've put a link on our club's thread. I'll look at Reivers, more interesting subject for me than zombies. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulinTheLion wrote:
I've put a link on our club's thread. I'll look at Reivers, more interesting subject for me than zombies. Good luck!

Thanks, Paul - I appreciate it.

If you don't like zombies you could just consider it as 'Pandemicology' and consider all the pictures of zombies as people who've come down with a really nasty case of black cube disease ;-)

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack, good to see you back! It's been a long time. Best of luck in your endeavours. I even spelled that the English way just for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stormseeker75 wrote:
Jack, good to see you back! It's been a long time. Best of luck in your endeavours. I even spelled that the English way just for you.

Hiya Steve,

Thanks! I also appreciate the way you've supported me through the medium of spelling. So rare these days :-)

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Week 2017 TOKYO bullet KYOTO
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To dispell any confusion, send Jack a message with your email if you want info on his new games. He needs to rebuild his email list, because he obeyed the law and got rid of it.

Tell anyone who might be interested, and have them contact Jack directly with their email address, so he can rebuild his email list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
To dispell any confusion, send Jack a message with your email if you want info on his new games. He needs to rebuild his email list, because he obeyed the law and got rid of it.

Tell anyone who might be interested, and have them contact Jack directly with their email address, so he can rebuild his email list.

Thanks John.

I'll add 'be more clear' to my epic to do list.

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainJax wrote:
PaulinTheLion wrote:

If you don't like zombies you could just consider it as 'Pandemicology' and consider all the pictures of zombies as people who've come down with a really nasty case of black cube disease ;-)

Cheers,

Jack

This is not the way to sell it to me, I hate co-ops (which is why Reivers is more interesting to me). But The Liverpool Lion Boardgamers meeting has plenty who like that kind of thing.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/26254229#26254229
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulinTheLion wrote:
CaptainJax wrote:
PaulinTheLion wrote:

Cheers,

Jack

This is not the way to sell it to me, I hate co-ops (which is why Reivers is more interesting to me). But The Liverpool Lion Boardgamers meeting has plenty who like that kind of thing.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/26254229#26254229

Hiya Paul,

To each their own! Hopefully at some point in the future I can design a game that you enjoy :-)

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also try the con circuit; there will be over 200 gamers at Stabcon in Stockport and Manorcon in Leicester (both in July) and MidCon in Derby (November). You should mention to the con organisers that you intend selling a game there as these events have shops, but designers selling their own games are encouraged.

And you can play games/drink beer/talk about Rafa with me (not Stabcon though) for the rest of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.