Subject: I should purchase BL 1st instead of BL 2nd if... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan F
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Warhammer Fantasy Battle fanMicrobadge: Parent of Three GirlsMicrobadge: Chess playerMicrobadge: Disneyland: Pirates of the Caribbean fanMicrobadge: Nevermore!
Hey guys, I've been interested in trying the C&C system for some time now, and have been doing research on which game to invest in. Long story short, I'm leaning toward the fantasy setting and had assumed this meant 2nd ed would be the go-to game.

But in reading/watching 2nd ed reviews/demos, I'm not sure I'm a fan of the scenarios and objectives. I want to play a game where my opponent and I line up for a pitched battle, then rush the field trying to grind each other to dust.

For those of you that are familiar with both editions, what things would you say are better about 1st? Why should I consider 1st over 2nd?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Finn
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
Sunken warplane
Microbadge: Space Hulk fanMicrobadge: Warfighter fanMicrobadge: Transhumanism - live long enough to play games forever!Microbadge: Conan fanMicrobadge: Commands & Colors Ancients fan
Well, the 1st edition is out of print but still available on the second-hand market, although some of the modules are steeply priced; so if you're a completest you'll need to dig more deeply into your wallet to get a complete 1st edition.

I only have 1st edition so I can't speak to the game differences between 1st and 2nd. I'm sure someone else in this forum can, though. I do know that 1st edition ROCKS my medieval-fantasy-battle world! I can't imagine replacing it with any other medieval fantasy battle game that's come out before or since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Platinum Image UploaderMicrobadge: In love with my spouseMicrobadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?
Finachetto wrote:
Well, the 1st edition is out of print but still available on the second-hand market, although some of the modules are steeply priced; so if you're a completest you'll need to dig more deeply into your wallet to get a complete 1st edition.

I only have 1st edition so I can't speak to the game differences between 1st and 2nd. I'm sure someone else in this forum can, though. I do know that 1st edition ROCKS my medieval-fantasy-battle world! I can't imagine replacing it with any other medieval fantasy battle game that's come out before or since.
Word!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Nieuwenhuis
Netherlands
Epe
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Memoir '44 Online League winnerMicrobadge: Memoir '44 fanMicrobadge: Colosseum fanMicrobadge: Roborally fanMicrobadge: Small World fan
Maybe this thread will help you?

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1541543/should-i-buy-1s...

I personally own BL 1st ed but have not played BL 2nd.
The latter seems to be focused more on achieving certain objectives whereas BL1 is more of a battle where you need to get a certain amount of troops of your enemy destroyed. I like the premise for the BL1 more. But as stated I have not played BL 2nd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Platinum Image UploaderMicrobadge: In love with my spouseMicrobadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?
Jeronimon wrote:
Maybe this thread will help you?

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1541543/should-i-buy-1s...

I personally own BL 1st ed but have not played BL 2nd.
The latter seems to be focused more on achieving certain objectives whereas BL1 is more of a battle where you need to get a certain amount of troops of your enemy destroyed. I like the premise for the BL1 more. But as stated I have not played BL 2nd.
The drop from 4 to 3 figure units make the 2nd edition battlefield look bare. Not impressed.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: GMT fanMicrobadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: War of the Ring fanMicrobadge: Dice Tower West attendee
IMO although 2nd edition is a good game, it just didn't feel quite the same to me. I still prefer BL1E better.

2nd Edition pros/con IMO
Pros
Scenario Cards
Point System
Great minis with interesting powers
I give them credit for at least trying to stay true to the original Battlelore, unlike Battles of Westeroes

Cons
3 figure units (units die to easily)
Needs Epic
No War Council
Little in the way of preset scenarios that I could see (might have changed since I haven't checked in awhile)
Ultimately does not feel like other traditional C&C games to me
Battles feel more like skirmishes than epic battles.
Objective VPs. I prefer kills.

Neutral
Still on the fence about the dice...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan F
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Warhammer Fantasy Battle fanMicrobadge: Parent of Three GirlsMicrobadge: Chess playerMicrobadge: Disneyland: Pirates of the Caribbean fanMicrobadge: Nevermore!
Awesome, thank you all for the feedback thus far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: BattleLore fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings fanMicrobadge: Roll Player fanMicrobadge: Heroscape fan
Ryan,

I've played BL1E about 300x more (literally) than BL2E. To be fair I wanted to be convinced that BL2E was worth abandoning BL1E and starting over but it was going take a lot to impress me.

As I watched BL2E come out and try to give it a whole hearted chance it just never sold on me the way BL1E did. I've not played or followed BL2E for over a year now. Not sure if it is continuing to expand and get support or not.

I'm fortunate to have invested in the complete BL1E and glad I did not invest much at all in BL2E. Personally I wish the efforts to redesign the game were not put in a new edition but rather put into refining and expanding the original.

Without getting into a lot of detail I'll just say the few things that needed adjusting in BL1E weren't enough to have me go out full on BL2E unless it was going to be REALLY that much better. I don't think it ever got there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Fantasy fanMicrobadge: Science Fiction fanMicrobadge: WriterMicrobadge: Commodore 64 fanMicrobadge: Eurogamer
If the Fantasy theme matters, the second edition is better. I chose the original Battlelore (at the time, the only edition) as my C&C game for the theme and was disappointed. The Fantasy elements are very few, limited to goblins, dwarves and a giant spider in the base-game, not getting much better with expansions. But if the "grind each other to dust" part is more important to you, definitely go with it.

I did like the victory conditions in the original more. The second edition focuses too much on occupying and holding specific spots on the board, which feels artificial to me and seems to increase the luck factor (with retreats and automatic advances). Besides, I'm not fond of each type of unit having two or three special powers. And I miss the preset scenarios, which told a kind of story, although setup was a pain.

In the end, I decided for the second edition, because I prefer the High Fantasy setting and the bigger, more interesting and varied miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Lucky Owner of a War of the Ring Collector's EditionMicrobadge: Level 17 BGG posterMicrobadge: Commands & Colors Tricorne fanMicrobadge: Yaquinto fanMicrobadge: The Fantasy Trip RPG fan
I like 1st edition much better. I have no interest in the armies of 2nd edition nor in the victory conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Officer
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: Parent of a Boy and a GirlMicrobadge: Dawn: Rise of the Occulites fanMicrobadge: League of Extraordinary Heroscapers - 5th AnniversaryMicrobadge: BattleLore fanMicrobadge: Constantly thinking about game design
Played both extensively and MUCH prefer 1st edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zaccardi
United States
Coral Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Shadows of Brimstone fanMicrobadge: Dice Tower Convention attendeeMicrobadge: 2020 Gold SupporterMicrobadge: BattleLore fanMicrobadge: Star Trek Adventures RPG fan
I've played BL 1st, BoW, and BL 2nd. I now use the figures from BoW and some from BL 2nd in my BL 1st games. I guess you can tell where this is going.

This is my opinion on the subject of BattleLore, something very near to me. Battles of Westeros and BattleLore 2nd edition did not do it for me. I totally agree with the opinions mentioned here that 2nd edition feels tactical rather than epic. The design of BL 1st from a back story and army perspective was full of charm. Those dwarves were funky, the Goblins quirky, the expansions all fit well. A few had rough edges but overall they were fun extensions to the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Blood Rage fanMicrobadge: Magic: The Gathering playerMicrobadge: Baseball Highlights: 2045 fanMicrobadge: Dinosaur Island fan
I have a complete set of BL 1st edition with an additional base game (unpunched). Truthfully, I haven't played in over 2 years now and have been wondering whether it was time to sell and go 2nd Ed. I have to say this thread has inspired me to crack it all open again... I am going to try and get it to the table again shortly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan F
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Hello all. I wanted to give a follow up and say that I purchased 1st Ed today. The responses here, and the discussion on the other thread (thanks Jeroen for the link) were enough to convince me.

This game looks truly beautiful. Can't wait to get my first shot at it next week when the nephews visit for July 4

Thanks again for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
first edition is awesome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross T
Australia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Gamer DadMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG poster
zaccardi wrote:
I now use the figures from BoW and some from BL 2nd in my BL 1st games.
This intrigues me greatly. How do you use them? I'm especially curious about the 2nd edition figures due to the scale difference. Are they alternative creatures?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Nieuwenhuis
Netherlands
Epe
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Memoir '44 Online League winnerMicrobadge: Memoir '44 fanMicrobadge: Colosseum fanMicrobadge: Roborally fanMicrobadge: Small World fan
Google a little and look around BGG to find extra scenarios.
If you cannot find them let us know and we will point you in the right direction (would give links now, but am typing on my phone and am to lazy to look it up right now. )

But most of all: enjoy the game and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zaccardi
United States
Coral Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Shadows of Brimstone fanMicrobadge: Dice Tower Convention attendeeMicrobadge: 2020 Gold SupporterMicrobadge: BattleLore fanMicrobadge: Star Trek Adventures RPG fan
Ross1494417 wrote:
zaccardi wrote:
I now use the figures from BoW and some from BL 2nd in my BL 1st games.
This intrigues me greatly. How do you use them? I'm especially curious about the 2nd edition figures due to the scale difference. Are they alternative creatures?
Yes, exactly. I use the creatures: Razorwings, Mountain Giant and the Dragon. Since I use 2nd edition dice for 1st edition, they translate well into my home-brew:

Proposed Methodology for Dice Rolling in BattleLore 1st/2nd Edition Hybrid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross T
Australia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Gamer DadMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG poster
Vase wrote:
Hello all. I wanted to give a follow up and say that I purchased 1st Ed today.
Good show! Please remember to use the retrospective Battle Savvy rules, plus download the expansion rule books so you can use their scenarios. Don't worry if you don't have the exact units, just use close approximates from the core set. Finally please check out some of the amazing fan-made scenarios here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1560612/fan-made-adventures...
Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls