flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recall that WASD is the control scheme on your keyboard where
W = N
A = W
S = S
D = E

I actually prefer ESDF since the 'F' key has that "nub" which helps orient hand placement. Plus, having both the 'A' key and Caps accessible by pinky has also been nice. Left Ctrl is harder to access, but still fine. At least for me.

Main issue is that I also need to remap all the conflicts in keys. This sometimes takes a bit of mental planning, or writing down keys somewhere like on paper or text pad to make sure it's all covered. Most cases, I can just map adjacent keys by an offset of 1 to the right.
E.g. 'E' is now 'R', 'R' is now 'T'. Some cases, I have to remap a key to a completely different place like from top right to 'Z'.

Poll: which control layout do you prefer for 1st/3rd person shooters?
Thread originally appears here....
https://videogamegeek.com/thread/1811665/anybody-else-prefer...

Pertaining to 1st and 3rd person shooters where you move forward, backwards, strafe left, and strafe right. Of course, only for keyboard and mouse controls. This doesn't apply to those who use controllers.
1. Which one?
WASD
ESDF
other? (Please comment)
2. Will you consider using ESDF now that it's been suggested?
Yes
No
3. Do you use ESDF now that it's been suggested?
Yes
No
      1 answer
Poll created by ackmondual
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Anybody else prefer ESDF over WASD?
Interesting idea..

Just from resting my hands on the keyboard, I'd say left ctrl would be too far for me to reach with my pinky. I could re-map | to be ctrl when I was remapping all the other keys, but I generally don't have time to mess around remapping keys in games.

Plus.. my current gaming keyboard has a row of macro keys down the left and it's already very hard not to press those instead of shift, ctrl etc..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have textured WASD keys.

If I didn't have those, then your idea of the nub on f makes sense, but that would be one heck of a mental exercise to change my natural instinct to reach for shift ctrl and alt. You'll also run into a problem eventually with a game that doesn't allow you to remap keys. Alternatively, if you have a fancy keyboard you could just save a Profile that maps the w to e, etc on your keyboard so that you don't have to remap every single game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like ESDF better than WASD. For me its about the extra keys you gain on the left side of your hand.
Though for how much I think its better I can't remember the last time I used it as game design keeps the keys you need to use at a minimum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where's your pinky supposed to go? ESDF makes mine rest on the gap between LShift and Z. yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rootbeer wrote:
Where's your pinky supposed to go? ESDF makes mine rest on the gap between LShift and Z. yuk
Either that or left Shift. The between is nice if I use that and 'Z' a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rootbeer wrote:
ooo yeah that would suck. I find my pinky squarely on shift. From there is can cover that whole outside column, though really only ctrl, shift, and caps with any speed.
My ring covering Z, A, Q, and W

one thing that does suffer in that setup for me is I can't use any of the numbers accurately. It seemed more than just having to add one, I think my hand rests at just a slightly different angle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
ESDF? I'm not bikeyboardual thank you. I'll stick to WASD the way God intended me to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rootbeer wrote:
For me, between the LShift and the Z is a key with |\ on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
I prefer the arrow keys as they aren't offset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
I prefer the arrow keys as they aren't offset.
In some games, this may not be possible/practical.

You need your right hand for the mouse, while your left hand needs access to 5 to 9 buttons. For of those are going to be ESDF/WASD, but other buttons may be needed for using items, abilities, interfaces etc. I will acknowledge that some games let you pause or find a "quiet place" to press those buttons if they're far off (like Esc)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
Yeah, not every game can use arrow keys (or numpad), true. My mouse has a couple of programmable buttons and I am happy to use the mouse left handed, so it works for me most of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This and a Logitech mouse with a couple of extra buttons.

Any modern game without the ability to map any key is developed by idiots. That or they're lazy. Now days there's no excuse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use HJKL laugh
This is the usual vi/vim control scheme:
H is on the left -> left
L is on the right -> right
J looks a bit like an arrow down -> down
K is ... up, because up was still missing

OK, for games where I have to use the mouse (or in my case: trackball), too, I still use WASD, but I have mapped Caps Lock to F13 to gain an extra key on the left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goodness no. WASD is perfect for many reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sicaria wrote:

I don't know why, but I love the fact there's a button solely dedicated to crouching! Maybe it's because there's no jump button (I thought jump would've been more important), I dunno.

ESDF instead of WASD's something I'd HAVE to do with my older laptop. Its keyboard is kinda... f****d.

ThomasAH wrote:
I use HJKL laugh

Heresy!
Repent and amend thy ways, you unbeliever!

...I kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackal2k wrote:
Sicaria wrote:

I don't know why, but I love the fact there's a button solely dedicated to crouching! Maybe it's because there's no jump button (I thought jump would've been more important), I dunno.

The jump button is one of the red buttons on the side. All the buttons can be customized outside of the game. In general most games use the same setup so it's pretty easy to just jump in and play without messing with a lot of bindings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls