BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Heading to Korea, Looking for small good games. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank McGirk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm heading to Korea to teach English in a few weeks (if all goes well with the paperwork), and instead of finishing my half-started projects around the house, I'm worried about what games to bring.

As a subquestion, does anyone know about which companies are good about shipping overseas, or is there a good game store in Seoul (I'll actually be in Pohang, but I hope to travel).

I know I have one friend to play with while I'm there, more I don't know

Okay, I have a few small games like Plunder, Fairy Tale, Meurterer, Citadels, Through the Desert but I'm looking for other games that are good with two players and that can be packed down. I don't need to take their original boxes by anymeans.

I'm thinking about:

Dungeon Twister (how small can it be made?)

San Juan

Jambo or Lost Cities (I've played Lost Cities on line and liked it. Are they different enough to warrant owning both).

Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord

Hive

and

Twilight Struggle (I know it's big, but I think Rob will actually sit and play a long game with me...something I've never managed) Does anyone know the weight of this game.

Any suggestions would be welcome. I don't really have a game store with much of a selection near by, so I'm never sure how big games are going to be. And again, I hope to condense down the boxes as much as possible.

Thanks in advance.

-Frank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FullContactGEEK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind DIY, Lost Patrol is pretty compact, light and quite durable if you use plastic army men from the dollar store. Plays well solo too, which is a bonus.

Fjords is another which is also rather compact.

Oh, and probably any flavor of Wings of War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing that you will find in Korea and you will not be able to find elsewhere are protective sleeves for different card sizes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Go native - play Changgi and Baduk when you get there. (That should also increase the number of people you can play with ...)
meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of your choices, I'd pick LostCities and Hive. My suggestion would be Travel Blokus. Excellent as a two player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haverty
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
There's the Lubicon store in Seoul - check this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/694941

Drop Tom Vasel a line before heading over so you can meet for some gaming while there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squeeker
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanafuda is an entertaining game that is made of very compact cards. I believe that they would be easy to find in Korea. BGG has some links to printable instructions. I would also suggest Fjords, Chrononauts, Hive, Citadels, Lost Cities and Euphrates & Tigris: Contest of Kings. Have a great time and try some kimchi while you are there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McGirk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, I'll check 'em out.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip