79 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Ogre» Forums » General

Subject: Kickstarter edition of ODE rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don M
msg tools
From the box exterior is there a way to tell the difference between Kickstarter ODE and retail ODE?

I figure if I'm gonna go big, may as well go the whole distance. How much additional exclusive stuff came with the KS that was not in the retail? Tried looking at the original page but was a bit confused by what would or would not be there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember correctly there was a sticker on the plastic wrap. The difference is three sets of additional counter sheets, featuring mostly green units. The sheets were made available separately to backers so it is not impossible to find them on their own.

The bad news is that if you want it all, there are several additional counter sheets made for high level backers to release. Some of these have become quite difficult to get, possibly making them harder to obtain, and even when they were available, they were pricey compared to the ODE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don M
msg tools
Damn. Taut was fast. Thanks :-)

Now to find a KS one at a decent price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
jedi_hunter75 wrote:
Damn. Taut was fast. Thanks :-)

Now to find a KS one at a decent price.

Should be doable, the bigger issue may be shipping it for a reasonable price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet-Gen. Mattis
mbmbmbmbmb

KS came with 3 sets of exclusive counters: Ogre: "Targets Go Boom" Counter Sheets, Ogre: Kickstarter Exclusive Overlays Counter Sheets, and Ogre: Vulcans & Friends Counter Sheets. We MAY have gotten 2 (identical) sets of targets go Boom! I have so many counters in the box its hard to tell what came from where. I may have gotten the 2nd BOOM! sheet because I was at the $150 level-- we also got the giant Ogre bag and a copy of Pocket Ogre at that level.

There were also 2 levels of special backer counters. One level of backer counters were included in all copies, KS AND Retail. IIRC correctly, there were 6 countersheets, 2 of them were Black Rose Mercenary faction (that's where my BGG avatar comes from, Black Rose Light Tank 'Ronster'). Not sure what is on the other 4 sheets. As i said, all 6 sheets are in KS and Retail versions.

There was another backer level where the backer got to design the counters AND got to sell them themselves. None of these 6 sets were included in KS or Retail, you have to track down whomever is selling them.

Oh, and if you want STILL MORE counters, Ogre: BGG Exclusive Overlays Sponsored Counter Sheets and Ogre: BGG 3-D Units Sponsored Counter Sheet were printed, may still be available. Neither were included in KS or Retail boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don M
msg tools
Beautiful. Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don M
msg tools
Now to find one for sale at a decent price with shipping. I so need this in my life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
jedi_hunter75 wrote:
Now to find one for sale at a decent price with shipping. I so need this in my life.

Yes, yes you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don M
msg tools
Okay, need one more opinion. Would it be better to get a retail at 150 with free shipping and track down Kickstarter exclusives as I go? I have some terrible completionist tendencies lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jedi_hunter75 wrote:
Okay, need one more opinion. Would it be better to get a retail at 150 with free shipping and track down Kickstarter exclusives as I go? I have some terrible completionist tendencies lol.

i understand that addiction, but for the KS-related components, specifically the sponsored sheets, it's prohibitively costly to complete the last few of those. One or two of the sheets are going for $40/each, which is enough to override my natural-born completionist genes. i've got 2 KS ODE copies (one still shrink-wrapped), but have long since given up on grabbing those final sponsored sheets - they're simply too costly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jedi_hunter75 wrote:
Take the free shipping!
You can find where the sponsored counter sheets are available through here: http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/sponsored-counters/
Note, the first one (ACD Distribution) is out of print, everything else is still available AFAIK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T K
msg tools
If you get the KS Version, you also get a hand signed Thank You card from Steve Jackson not found in the retail version...and a sticker that shows it as a KS edition...and the KS version has the names of all who supported it on the sides of the box not found on the retail version.

Vulcans and Friends and Targets Go Boom Sheets, which come with the KS edition are incredibly rare these days. So much so, I have and will mention again SJGs may want to do a reprint of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgameTK wrote:
If you get the KS Version, you also get a hand signed Thank You card from Steve Jackson not found in the retail version...and a sticker that shows it as a KS edition...and the KS version has the names of all who supported it on the sides of the box not found on the retail version.

Vulcans and Friends and Targets Go Boom Sheets, which come with the KS edition are incredibly rare these days. So much so, I have and will mention again SJGs may want to do a reprint of them.

Are you sure the names aren't on the retail copy? I am pretty sure the boxes are identical hence the sticker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet-Gen. Mattis
mbmbmbmbmb
jedi_hunter75 wrote:

During your search, you might want to ask prospective sellers if they have the bag or not, not every KS supporter got them.

OK, went back to the KS page and looked, figured out what the difference was between $100 and $150 supporters.

$150 supporters got an extra Targets to BOOM, Pocket Ogre, 2 lapel pins, the bag, and a tshirt.

Not to mention that there were about a dozen add-on items that any KS backer could buy: hats; shots glasses, 2-4 different tshirts, extra dice, classic counter set + more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jedi_hunter75 wrote:
From the box exterior is there a way to tell the difference between Kickstarter ODE and retail ODE?

I figure if I'm gonna go big, may as well go the whole distance. How much additional exclusive stuff came with the KS that was not in the retail? Tried looking at the original page but was a bit confused by what would or would not be there.

As others have mentioned, there are stickers on shrink-wrapped KS editions. It will be either a red sticker, or a yellow one. Externally, that's the only visible difference between a retail edition and a KS edition.

Additionally, the only difference between a red sticker and a yellow sticker is one included a copy of Ogre: Pocket Edition, but that's only a cosmetic difference at the factory; Pocket Edition was NOT put inside the shrink-wrap, it was put inside the shipping box with ODE. Inside the shrink-wrap, the red and yellow KS editions are identical. That means it's likely that whatever KS edition you are looking at (red or yellow) probably does not have a copy of Pocket Edition along with it unless explicitly stated that it does in the description text from the seller (unless the shipping carton has never been opened).

Another visual indicator related to color is the cardboard shipping box itself. The cardboard actually has a colored band on it, too that matches the sticker: Red, Yellow or Black.

For a very good example of the difference, check out the KS update #101 for unboxing pictures of a Yellow copy (which includes Pocket Ed; Red does NOT have Pocket Ed in the shipping cardboard)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/847271320/ogre-designer...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found Target's go boom on eBay for $20 us.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...g3BEAAOSw2gxYw0Ht

He says he has three copies, and there's a few others for $60 us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
boardgameTK wrote:

Are you sure the names aren't on the retail copy? I am pretty sure the boxes are identical hence the sticker.

The names are on all copies, KS and retail. They are printed along the sides of the bottom half of the box (i.e., you can't see them when the box is closed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you check on the Ogre Shockwave FB page you'll see I have many ODE sheets up for sale right now at reasonable prices....just getting rid of my over the top stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don M
msg tools
Thanks all. You have been so damn helpful. Seriously, it's nice to see that on the net these days lol.

So I had someone I am in contact with offering an ODE in a sealed shipping box that has the Steve Jackson Games logo in red and says Kickstarter edition on it. And I'm loving their price.

Any thoughts on that one versus one that comes in a shipping box where the logos are black and does not say Kickstarter edition on it? The seller states (and I believe them) that it has the KS exclusives including the thank you from Steve Jackson.

The red logo one has also been offered at a lower price than the black logo one.

Pretty sure I know y'alls answer but I wanted to poll the audience
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jedi_hunter75 wrote:
Thanks all. You have been so damn helpful. Seriously, it's nice to see that on the net these days lol.

So I had someone I am in contact with offering an ODE in a sealed shipping box that has the Steve Jackson Games logo in red and says Kickstarter edition on it. And I'm loving their price.

Any thoughts on that one versus one that comes in a shipping box where the logos are black and does not say Kickstarter edition on it? The seller states (and I believe them) that it has the KS exclusives including the thank you from Steve Jackson.

The red logo one has also been offered at a lower price than the black logo one.

Pretty sure I know y'alls answer but I wanted to poll the audience

Yeah, that's a no-brainer. The black one is a retail version; it does NOT have the KS exclusive stuff in it. The Red one is a KS edition with the extra exclusive sheets (but should not have the pocket Edition, FWIW). Considering the going rate for some of the KS exclusive sheets (the Vulcans and Friends, Targets go Boom, etc), you can't lose with the Red box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jedi_hunter75 wrote:

Thinking about this some more, has the shipping box on the black logo one been opened? There's an off chance it's a retail cardboard box that the seller put a KS edition inside (my retail copy is currently sitting in my Yellow packing box, for example). You would need to verify exactly what's in the box. If it's a black logo that's never been opened, then the only way it would have the KS extras is if they were packaged separately.

I would want verification (pictures) of the actual box (or external extras) inside in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wolf90 (Drew)
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew here . . .

Just to help clarify the difference between the versions and what else is out there, here's a rundown of the counter sheets (including quantity) in each:

Retail Edition (black stripe on box)

4x A1 (Combine Units)
1x A2 (Black Rose Mercs 1)
1x A3 (Black Rose Mercs 2)
1x A4 (Black Rose Mercs 3)
1x A5 (Black Rose Mercs 4)
4x B1 (Paneuropean Units)
2x B2 ("Other green" or Gurskey/Belgium Faction) by Robert Gurskey
6x C1 (Small Overlays)
1x D1 (Road Overlays 1)
1x D2 (Road Overlays 2)
1x E1 (Combine Ogres)
1x E2 (Paneuropean Ogres)
1x E3 (Grey Ogres 1) Sponsored by Thomas Heysek
1x E4 (Grey Ogres 2) Sponsored by Thomas Heysek
1x F1 (Combine Ogres 2)
1x F2 (Ogres)
1x G1 (Combine Buildings)
1x H1 (Fencers)
1x I1 (Buildings)
1x J1 (Flat Ogres) Sponsored by Michael Johnston

Note the four Black Rose Mercs sheets, the Gurskey Faction, the Grey Ogres and the Flat Ogres were sponsored by fans. (The Black Rose sheets were sponsored by scores of fans by individually sponsoring one or more units on the sheet, gaining "naming rights" in so doing).

The Kickstarter Edition (red or yellow stripe)

1x K1 (Targets Go Boom 1)
1x L1 (Targets Go Boom 2)
1x M1 (KS Exclusive Overlays 1)
1x M2 (KS Exclusive Overlays 2)
1x P1 (Vulcans & Friends 1)
1x Q1 (Vulcans & Friends 2)

These sheets were created by Steve Jackson Games, often with fan input via surveys (Suuuuuuuurrrrrrrvey....) and included with every Kickstarter copy of the game in addition to everything listed under the retail version. A few left over sheets were sold on W23, but sold out quickly. These have commanded high prices on the secondary market, regrettably.

Sponsored Sheets (not in any box)

A6 (Nihon Empire: North American Divisions)
B3 (Barbarians at the Gate 1)
B4 (Barbarians at the Gate 2)
B5 (Ogre: Nightfall 1)
K2 (Ogre: Nightfall 2)
L2 (Ogre: Nightfall 3)
E5 (Uncommon Ogres 1)
E6 (Uncommon Ogres 2)
M3 (BGG Exclusive Overlays 1)
M4 (BGG Exclusive Overlays 2)
N1 (BGG 3-D Units)
O1 (Strategic and Tactical Objectives)
R1 (ACD Distribution Sponsored Sheet)

Finally, there were a number of Sponsored Sheets that fans backed and were allowed to sell on their own. Most of these are still available with a central repository of links found on SJGames.com here: http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/sponsored-counters/
Only the ACD sheet is currently sold out.
[Full disclosure - I am the sponsor of the Barbarians at the Gate set]

I hope this helps some. Get the Kickstarter version if you can find one at a reasonable price, but even the retail version is loaded with Ogre goodness!

D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wolf90 wrote:

I hope this helps some. Get the Kickstarter version if you can find one at a reasonable price, but even the retail version is loaded with Ogre goodness!

Yeah, it's definitely worth mentioning the retail (Black) version has more than enough stuff to keep anyone busy for a long time. The KS extras are just that; extra. Nice to have, but definitely not required in any way to have a grand old time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don M
msg tools
The list!!!! Thank you.

I have a Kickstarter version on the way :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jedi_hunter75 wrote:
The list!!!! Thank you.

I have a Kickstarter version on the way :-)
If you want something even more detailed than what Drew posted above, check this out: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/97118/ogre-de-configurabl...

Was really neat for me as I bought my copy punched and assembled and it allowed me to verify that everything was there and which extra sheets where already included.
Of course if you get a sealed box then it won't be useful, but still cool to be able to see quickly how much stuff you have
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.