Popular Tags: OP_deleted [+] [View All]
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was the intent to make a poll where each level of usefulness can only be selected once? Currently it is not possible to select, e.g. "This is very helpful" for both 2 and 3 hex overlays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, can't vote for all of them as 'Essential', so didn't vote.

I'm not playing with the ODE/6th boards. But I am making my own 4"-gridded giant felt mat. Well technically, 102mm hex grid to match the size of Hoegaarden beer mats which will be painted and used for overlays.

I am certainly making my own overlays in all 3 sizes. One-space overlays on round beer mats to make it easier to get them in and out to replace with rubble during play. And 2 and 3 hex overlays for faster set-up and less of them getting jostled about during play — to be made with joined together hex beer mats.

Stencil in progress which I will use for painting the felt. Hex beer mats which will be used for the aforementioned overlays. And [very tasty] Hoegaarden beer ^,^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wolf90 (Drew)
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow.

I blew that. Reposted with presumably fixed parameters. For the five that answered previously, my apologies - please answer again.

D.

Again, this is market research only at this time - there are no implied or explicit promises! Thanks!

D.

Poll: How useful to you find the different sized overlays?
Hi, everybody . . . I'm back with some more market research for you all.

This is targeted at the ODE owners, as they have the items I'm discussing, but Sixth Edition owners are welcome to chime in with their opinions, even if they have no direct experience with these pieces. This time, I'm trying to gauge the utility of the various sized overlays. More specifically, it has come to my attention that some find the 3-hex terrain overlays of far less utility than the 1-hex and 2-hex overlays. Freely acknowledging that they (obviously) serve different purposes, that being covering 1-, 2-, or 3-hex areas on the map, do you have a strong preference should we make a supplemental sheet of them? More to the point, should 3-hex overlays be left off in favor of more 1- and 2-hex overlays?

D.
How useful do you find the different size overlays?
  1-Hex 2-Hex 3-Hex (triangle) Vote Count
This is essential 89.2% (33) 40.5% (15) 18.9% (7) 37
This is very helpful 16.1% (5) 71.0% (22) 80.6% (25) 31
This is nice to have, but not needed 28.6% (4) 50.0% (7) 78.6% (11) 14
I don't need this 100.0% (1) 0.0% (0) 0.0% (0) 1
Total Voters 43
This poll is now closed.   43 answers
Poll created by wolf90
Closes: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools

I've used all sizes of overlays in the past.

While I'm not getting ODE to the table that much at the moment (partly due to venue inconvenience, and that we played most of the scenarios which had been published at the time), it remains a favorite in the group, and I'm sure we'll cycling the newer scenarios into rotation at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wolf90 wrote:
More to the point, should 3-hex overlays be left off in favor of more 1- and 2-hex overlays?

In general, yes. There are two places where the 3-hex overlays are helpful: initial setup of large map bashing and to a lesser extent, stability.

It's a balance of flexibility over speed. The biggest issue I have with 3-hex overlays is they often do not fit where I want to use them. With 1-hex overlays, I'm guaranteed to be able to put exactly what I need where I need it.

The only time larger overlays are required is when there's a specific feature that spans multiple hexes (eg, some weird road network) but even that is usually replaceable with road overlays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Gallagher
United States
Saginaw
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
granitepenguin wrote:
There are two places where the 3-hex overlays are helpful: initial setup of large map bashing and to a lesser extent, stability.

I do far more map-bashing as set-up (for example, rubbling all towns for Breakthrough) than I see terrain damage during play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.