Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Davis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am planning a listener question podcast spectacular! Send me your questions, or even requests for what you'd like to see from The Thoughtful Gamer. They can be related to anything, not just board games. Want our opinions on books, movies....I'll even consider politics if the question is reasonable. This is your chance to find out more about me and the rest of the podcasting crew.

All questions below I'll save for the podcast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Piquette
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
I had to spend this geek gold on something
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I was going to ask about your thoughts on the TI4 announcement, but you already talked about that. TI3 was a game that I really loved, then quickly soured on. Still, I'd be interested to see what this new version brings (other than an enormous price tag).

I suppose that leads to a potential question. Have you had any games that you initially loved (or hated), only to find yourself feeling to opposite after a few plays? (Well if you hate the game at first, you may never play it again). Lately, most of my gaming has been at meetups in the Boston area where I usually play other people's games. As such, there are many games that I've played once and enjoy, but never get to play again to see if my opinion changes.

(Edit: More stuff)

Are there other board game podcasters / reviewers that you regularly follow?

What other hobbies do you actively pursue besides board gaming?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Moore
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Where do you stand on the breadth vs depth approach to gaming? I can only speak for myself, but I find that in principle I endorse depth of gaming experiences (i.e., play a few games a lot), but in practice I really end up doing breadth gaming. It certainly pays dividends in providing many varied experiences, but it also promotes a consumerist approach to the hobby that I sometimes am uncomfortable with (or my wallet is). Along these lines, how do you feel about choosing and sticking with a lifestyle game?

2. I find it interesting that often the most recognizable faces/people in the hobby are reviewers/previewers rather than designers/artists that are creating the games. What other hobbies/fields reflect this prominent role of "the media"? Politics, perhaps? I can name a lot of authors; I can name only a few book reviewers. Just an interesting quirk of this industry, I'm curious what your thoughts are? Do certain reviewers create a "personality cult" of sorts to achieve their own "fame" in this process?

3. It would be cool to hear an episode about how games require multiple people to come alive, a form of participatory art. This is a pretty stark contrast to many other popular forms of media (solo gaming notwithstanding). Is this a strength or weakness of the medium? If it's a defining characteristic, are solo games really different entities? What other mediums outside of gaming require multiple like-minded individuals dedicating time together to achieve a particular experience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Piquette
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(More questions time?)

Why did you decide to start podcasting?

Board game podcasts are a rather saturated medium, which can make it hard to stand out as a (relative) newcomer. Are you finding it challenging to get listeners? How are you trying to stand out or differentiate yourself from others?

Where would you like to see The Thoughtful Gamer go in future?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lowe
United States
Hayward
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What do you think of the form vs function debate?

How important are art and components to you? Do you think a game with great art and components and good gameplay is "better" or should be rated higher than a game with great gameplay and poor art/components?

I was listening to a podcast and my wife overheard the description for Vast Crystal Caverns. She thought it sounded like a great game and really wanted me to buy it for us to play. I showed her some pictures and she was instantly turned off. She didn't want to play it anymore at all.

Another game, Scythe has great art and components. It's a good game, but many say its not great, yet it has a great rating on BGG. But it's art/components are better than any of the other top 10 games on BGG. Does the art/components justify its ranking?

Thanks! Really enjoy the show and the in depth discussions you guys have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mb
- What are your favorite mechanics?
- What general characteristics/qualities are important for you in any type of game?

Keep up the great work! Really enjoy the podcasts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Davis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep the great questions coming! We'll be answering them on the 10/4 podcast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Giesmann
msg tools
Good questions...

Important addition...

What is the best sport and why is it Hockey?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Davis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I veto your question, Matt. Plus the best sport is golf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Piquette
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do eSports count as sports? I vote no.

I don't know if golf is the best, but it's better than hockey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.