6 Posts

Blokus» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Blokus Strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
amanda brunner

Minnesota
msg tools
I really love the game Blokus and I keep trying new strategies that aren't quite working. If anyone could leave me some of their strategies or hints I would greatly appriciate it. Thank you!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stay close to your opponent's line especially the opponent who sits to your right.

Try to position your pieces so that they fit into the gaps in your opponent's line. This will allow you to redirect through their line at a later point in the game.

Always try to open up new branching points through other's lines. Always play to maximize opportunity not simply to consume space.

Identify areas that only you can access, pick out a piece that can fit that area, do NOT play it and set it aside. I call these "locked" pieces because they are "locked in" and you can play them at will later.

Resist the urge to "hit back" against someone who has cut you off. They have already cut you off, they will likely do so again, and it is unlikely you will regain the upper hand. Redirect elsewhere and put someone else on the defensive.

No area is yours. If you have momentum and another player builds into your "area", do not react to them, push into their "area" instead.

Like above, stay on offense. Make others conform to your moves. Avoid defensive plays.

Pieces with lots of corners are inherently offensive. Pieces with few corners are inherently defensive. You must play all of your pieces so you must figure out how to turn the defensive pieces to your advantage.

This is all very hard to describe. When I play, I visualize the line like water spilling over the board. Water pours into crevices, so should your line. You should be able to feel that you are guiding the games of others, if you do not feel this way, begin building in another direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some strategies in Game: Blokus » Forum Index » Strategy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotte Davis
msg tools
Does a player who goes first in Blokus have the advantage?? Rhetta
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhetta21 wrote:
Does a player who goes first in Blokus have the advantage?? Rhetta

I think that's possible. But the games tends to balance itself, especially with 4 players. With two players you could play two games and change who goes first each time. Or with 4, you could play 4 rounds and alternate the starting player. But our group tends to play 1 game at a time so that doesn't work for us. Generally we just randomize who goes first and then many people try to mess with me because I'm pretty good. But it's a balance back and forth.

Also, even if you go first, that might mean that you could get to the center of the board first, but someone else might be able to block your piece better because of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We think the first player has a clear advantage with the rules as written. We play that the first player must play a 4-tile piece on his first turn, this seems to balance the game very nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.