Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Kinney
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sat down last night to just go through a little of the game. I wanted to get myself familiar with things and work through any mistakes.

I played with the recommended curse and the 777 card.

As I played through, I found myself being completely immersed in the story. It was just like a video game or a choose your own adventure book from my youth. I played solo, but I found myself still reading flavour text out loud because I wanted it to be like video game narration.

But it was also very stressful as I saw my action deck dwindling away. I realized I played a couple of things wrong - I forgot about ensuring all my items matched up when I combined them (it was a fairly easy fix when I looked back through it today). And there were a couple of other minor things.

But it was very distressing when I drew the curse card out of my shuffled discard pile and thought my game was over. Given I was in easy mode the 777 card did save me. I see how certain other cards are VERY important to the success of your journey.

When I did have to use my 777 card I took that as an opportunity to start for the night and when I looked at my watch, I was 4 hours in! Amazing!

I seriously thought about selling this game when it first came out - $300 US is a lot of money. And I kept saying "how good can it be?" Well, if my first impression is anything to go by, it's THAT good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, same here with the hours flying by. Wait, I've been playing for that long? I just sat down!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
jonocop wrote:
I forgot about ensuring all my items matched up when I combined them
Items do not need to match to be combined. But if they do match, you can add the number of uses together to get more efficiency.

I like to think about each item stack not as a weird swiss army knife creation, but as a bag or bundle of associated gear. The better that gear matches the more multifunction that pack of stuff can be, providing more long-term utility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United States
flag msg tools
Dino DNA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
jonocop wrote:
I forgot about ensuring all my items matched up when I combined them
Items do not need to match to be combined. But if they do match, you can add the number of uses together to get more efficiency.

I like to think about each item stack not as a weird swiss army knife creation, but as a bag or bundle of associated gear. The better that gear matches the more multifunction that pack of stuff can be, providing more long-term utility.

yeah I agree. I'm thinking of it more as how you're storing stuff in your pack - every time you want to take something out to use it, you have to rummage through everything else in there, which can affect it's durability. The durability of the stuff you have is going to degrade over time anyway if you think about it. It's not like you have a bunch of LL Bean camping gear.. Your shovel is a flat rock you tied to a piece of bamboo with some seaweed! Shove that in your rucksack and cram a bunch of other stuff on top, and it just isn't going to last forever!

It's an abstraction of a puzzle that anyone who has done any hiking/backpacking can relate to!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls