9 Posts

The 7th Continent» Forums » Sessions

Subject: 1st play, 2 hours in - may contain spoilers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miche
Germany
flag msg tools
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat...
badge
I see dead people...
mbmbmbmbmb
Soo, we finally got it to the table. Actually we don't really have time to play at the moment, but I was so psyched about the look of the game that we sacrificed the Friday evening to have a quick play, like an hour or so. Of course we started with the recommended first curse, VG.

All started of well. We had played the PnP back when it became available, but details were a bit shaky. My fiancée had some issues to accept the unknown ("what do you mean with the game will let us know"), but we immersed ourselves quickly. Reading all the flavour text (that sometimes even contains some helpful hints) really helps to set the mood.

Boy what a mood this was. I was constantly tense and most of our brain power went to decide if we shall risk it or play it safe. The events and encounters we came across were fantastic. Sometimes we even recoiled due to how close we felt to the action.

We took our sweet time to make sure we get all the hidden clues and tried to explore as much as possible. At some point (way beyond the 1 hour mark) we got the soundtrack playing as well and stuff got real

We were close to the end of the action deck when Frankenstein saved the day. We also found a nifty way out from the first island and when we decided on the direction of travel we finally decided to call it an evening. After 2.5 hours that felt like 10 minutes. We quickly saved all the game and will be back shortly.

So far I am overwhelmed. This feels real! It does! I am curious to see how the continent evolves, so far the way was pretty clear as far as I could tell. Let's see if we get equally lucky with the actions and with the chances we get to replenish our life.

Will let you know when we die :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Galeotti
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
http://www.gruppoludico.it/
badge
I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.
mb
da_miche wrote:
My fiancée had some issues to accept the unknown ("what do you mean with the game will let us know")

Strangely enough, my girlfriend had the opposite reaction. Since she doesn't like very much learning new games, when I said "nah, there are just a couple of rules to know, then we will know the rest when we see it during the game", she was overjoyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like your experience was pretty identical to mine. Play with my GF last night, first play, Frankenstein did the same thing at 0 cards remaining lol, and we saved just after getting to the next island
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, managed to get my wife infront of this for 1.5 hours last night (non gaming spouse). We managed to explore just the first small island, we had to look up a few rules, but in general I believe she enjoyed it, and would play it further.

I think she enjoys the narrative and the open play, with simple rules. ooking forward to making that "jump" and seeing what's further.. also wondering what's over them cliffs and to the south
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miche
Germany
flag msg tools
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat...
badge
I see dead people...
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambit001 wrote:
It sounds like your experience was pretty identical to mine. Play with my GF last night, first play, Frankenstein did the same thing at 0 cards remaining lol, and we saved just after getting to the next island

Well, don't tell me how it progresses. We won't manage to play until at least after next weekend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
da_miche wrote:
Gambit001 wrote:

Well, don't tell me how it progresses. We won't manage to play until at least after next weekend

Ouch! I stopped after my first session at the same point as you... and then started again 30 minutes later because I couldn't wait!

The first part of the game is pretty similar for everyone, I think, since tutorial island is small and searching for a way to leave means trying pretty much everything. It gets a lot more open ended after, so good luck when you manage to get the game to the table next!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ren3 wrote:
da_miche wrote:
Gambit001 wrote:

Ouch! I stopped after my first session at the same point as you... and then started again 30 minutes later because I couldn't wait!

The first part of the game is pretty similar for everyone, I think, since tutorial island is small and searching for a way to leave means trying pretty much everything. It gets a lot more open ended after, so good luck when you manage to get the game to the table next!

I'll be good and not spoil anything when we play again.

I had to sleep, only reason we stopped lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin K.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also started yesterday with my girlfriend for 1.5 hours last night. Also non gaming spouse We are still on the first island but are set up well. She doesn't really like board games too much, but in the morning, she said she would prefer to continue the game than going to work (Off course we both went to work )

So I'm pretty happy that I finally have a game that she seem to really like. She also likes Time Stories and Mansions of Madness, but for those games, it's enough for her if we play it 1-2 times a month at most. We will see if she still want's to play another curse or if it gets to time consuming for her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miche
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
I see dead people...
mbmbmbmbmb
Still waiting for another shot. Got too busy lately. Probably will not get to it before the next KS starts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls