Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: asia [+] [View All]
Smuggles
China
Shanghai
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This post is about a new store where you can buy board games in China, especially Shanghai. If that doesn't interest you, you best not continue reading laugh

That said if you want to skip my short story and go straight to the meat and potatoes of this post be my guest. The good stuff starts at the meeple

I've lived in China for over 2 years and have found it to be very difficult to buy board games. Browsing through the forums here, many other people here have the same problems. Our options? Buy from one of the great Hong Kong or Malaysia retailers and worry about what customs might do to us, buy from our local game store whenever we go home for a visit (providing you are lucky enough to live in a country where board games are easily accessible, or we just play Mahjong and read about the games we wish we could play here at BGG.

Well my fellow China gamers, a new day is upon us.

I recently heard of website called www.funbox365.com. The website is mostly in Chinese, which I struggle to read. However, I downloaded a PDF and found the address. I se out on my 3 hour walk (I didn't really have any idea where I was going and stopped every 10 minutes to ask for directions and to buy a water, it's hot here in summertime). When I arrived at the small store I was pleasantly surprised. There were two shelves with about 40 games each. One shelf was all demos, the other were for purchase. Before I was able to introduce myself, I was invited to participate in a game of Fury of Dracula (sweet! my kind of place; board games first, names second). After I sat down I met with the owner Jomy, a really nice guy. The store has been opened for 3-4 months. Most of the people there speak decent English.

meeple
The store stocks all the favorites: Carcassonne games, Power Grid, Settlers, all the Knizia games, TtR games, WotR, Heroscape, Hey that's my fish, Arkham Horror and more. They have catalogs for Fantasy Flight Games, Days of Wonder and others and will be happy to order any game for you.

They sponsor gaming events: Audriacon being this weekend (July 21st) and next weekend (July 28th). http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1618059#1618059

People are welcome at any time to come in and play a game. While I was there yesterday, I met a few people who invited me to other gaming parties in Shanghai.

The website again is www.funbox365.com. I haven't asked about shipping to other parts of China (as I live in Shanghai). If anyone has any questions about this place contact me or contact Jomy yourself

Disclaimer: There may be other places like funbox in Shanghai/China that I don't know about. I don't mean to praise one without giving credit to another (as I don't know if another exists). I'm just excited about the development of the board gaming community in China. I heard about a www.boardgamechina.com, but it seems it is more of a place to meet people to play games, rather than a store. That said if there is another store, I would be happy to visit it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin H
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Cool. I'll check it out. I'm in Hunan, far from Shanghai, so I hope they do mail order!

Thanks for the info! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update! It's great to know it's there -- and right on Yan'an Lu, too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Brown
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
And 6 years later, looks like it's still there.

I'll be in Shanghai in a week or so, and I'm looking forward to checking this place out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Bouwman

Montana
msg tools
UPDATE 10/6/2013:

I went to the address on their website today (2966 Jinke Rd, LVG south building, 5th floor) and there was nothing there but an insurance company. Anybody know if they have moved (again)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just live over in Suzhou and I know there are a lot of game cafes just northeast of the People's Square Metro Stop. There are a few malls with a bunch of them all together around this area I believe:

http://goo.gl/maps/lfTWP

Room 365, North Guangxi Roard, Huangpu District, Shanghai
Lu Jie 158-0058-9119

上海市黄浦区广西北路250号百米香榭365室
路捷 158-0058-9119

I haven't been there in a year but have been meaning to check it out.. can anyone confirm it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls