Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Gacy
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I've been working on an odds wheel and I wanted to know what people feel is a realistic maximum for attack and defense strength. I was thinking 40 but now that seems way too high. Is 20 about right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wolf90 (Drew)
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt you will need too much beyond 12 for Attack strength, so 20 I would think would cover 99.99% of cases.

D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amg100 wrote:
Hi all,

I've been working on an odds wheel and I wanted to know what people feel is a realistic maximum for attack and defense strength. I was thinking 40 but now that seems way too high. Is 20 about right?

I would do enough for 4xHWZ (24). It's rare to see anything combine for much more than that at any given time. Defense doesn't have to be nearly as high. 20 should be more than enough for any defensive items since that's pretty static and tied to terrain bonuses (e.g, D9 for 3-INF in town (maybe a couple more if entrenched etc). 20 should cover weird edge cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Girard
Canada
Russell
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wolf90 wrote:
I doubt you will need too much beyond 12 for Attack strength, so 20 I would think would cover 99.99% of cases.

D.

I don't think anything had a defence higher than 4 so '16+' would probably be your last necessary value (which would reduce to 4-1, highest ratio on the CRT)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skeletonhat wrote:
wolf90 wrote:

D.

I don't think anything had a defence higher than 4 so '16+' would probably be your last necessary value (which would reduce to 4-1, highest ratio on the CRT)

There definitely are things with a D value more than 4. The SHVY at D5 comes to mind, for example. Future-proofing against things like revetments or entrenching bumping D-values is probably a good idea, too.

It is a good point that you only need to cover up to 4:1 ratios, though. Anything higher is an auto-kill.

Incidentally, how do you plan to address attacking treads? They are a fixed 1:1, but the amount varies depending on the A-value used. Will that be part of the wheel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gacy
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
granitepenguin wrote:
Incidentally, how do you plan to address attacking treads? They are a fixed 1:1, but the amount varies depending on the A-value used. Will that be part of the wheel?

Thanks everyone for the quick responses!

The wheel only generates the odds column for rolling the dice, so if you know it is already 1:1 for attacking treads, you don't need the wheel.

By reducing the number of defensive choices, I can increase the number of attack options on the wheel. Hopefully I'll have it done tonight (and then it'll get torn apart!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gacy
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Took me more than a day (I think my math is fine, but my design skills were lacking), but it's up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amg100 wrote:
Took me more than a day (I think my math is fine, but my design skills were lacking), but it's up!

Do you have a link for it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gacy
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, sorry about that.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/151388/ogre-odds-calculat...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amg100 wrote:

Looks very nice. That should make a number of people happy. Now all you need is an augmented reality code that gets displayed so you can see the CRT and get it to roll for you. LOL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good! Nice job! thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gacy
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

This could easily be done with a table, but I think it's more fun with a wheel!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.