Popular Tags: [View All]
Caleb K.
United States
LaVergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I received the game beginning of last week and been having a lot of fun attempting the Voracious Goddess solo and have had 3 full attempts so far and thought I would share my experiences. I will put a spoiler tag on anything that is a spoiler.

Note: I have all current expansions and mixed everything into the base game but have not been playing with the optional pocket watch card. I have been playing just one curse, Voracious Goddess, and not using either of the optional difficulty mode cards like 777. I also have not read a single spoiler so I am just trying to figure things out on my own.

It is so wonderful to be back on The 7th Continent after my brief foray with the PnP demo last year. I reread the rulebook and a lot of it was refresher for me, the rulebook is quite streamlined and the improvements they have made to the game over the course of development are all quite good. The starter island was magical in a way as I got sucked in and started my 2 week long still on-going binge of the game. The starter island introduced some neat new concepts in an easy manner and was a solid re-introduction to the game for me.

1st Attempt:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I did a comprehensive lap around the island and briefly toyed with the idea to sail with the raft off the east coast but ultimately decided to use the submarine since the Curse Clue card hinted at it. I wasn't 100% if I should go straight North or one of the other Northernly directions but just going North made the most sense so I headed that way.

After landing on the beach, I went east one tile and then straight North and climbed the cliff. I then shot straight North like the route on the clue card indicated and got to the stream and headed west over it. I totally didn't realize I needed to stop at the numbers on the clue card so when I got to place to climb, I couldn't go further. I quickly realized it didn't matter though since I had a rule wrong the whole game.

After exploring the mainland, I realized I had been playing a major rule wrong. I had been adding the durability to items regardless if their keywords matched. This was bad because my whole game was screwed up. After 4-5 hours of playing, I forfeited this attempt since I had cheated in a big way.

1st attempt result: Forfeit after discovered I was inadvertently cheating. 4-5 hours.

2nd attempt:
Ok, I know the rules really well now and have a better idea how to attempt it.

This time instead of hiking straight to the end, I would check out the "?" mark on the clue card. I knock out the starter island easy enough and submarine up to the mainland again. This time I head East and check out the ?. I climb a tree and get a nifty grappling hook and also I got some kind of clue card to add to my journal even though I didn't know what it meant. I head back to the path and climb the cliff and then this time I get the idea to check out what is East and see what that number 4 is on the clue card. Of course I had already skipped number 3 but I wasn't climbing back down that cliff anytime soon.

I found an ice covered dungeon! I didn't know there were dungeons so I get really pumped! I am unsure if this is related to my curse but I delve in. I pull the brass ring at the front and notice I have to banish a card. Not sure what that was but guess I will find out. I take the west path first and find all kinds of interesting items and things but nothing to help my quest. I come back to the start and then check out the East wing. I find a marking that explains that ring I pulled and decide that was probably a bad idea! I follow the slime trail and get attacked! By this point my life force is low and I am hurting. After killing this creature, I go further and a nice trap in the next room kills me off.

2nd attempt result: death. 6-7 hours.

3rd Attempt:
Ok, now I got this.
I knock out the starter island and then when I get to the mainland beach I decide to check out the #3 I hadn't looked into yet. I take a tile west and then North to a small hut. Some interesting stuff there, not sure if anything I need. I go east and see the big mound that is on the clue card and check everything out and then go North a tile and check out the statue. I get poisoned and about 3 other states in various ways right in a row and then have a poor hunting expedition by the cliff. Not going so well. I decide to skip the "?" mark this time and just climb the cliff and head to the dungeon again.

I stupidly pull the brass ring by the entrance again (sometimes I don't learn from my mistakes). Realizing my mistake, this time I don't waste much time in the dungeon and head straight up the east path since my life force isn't great and the game hasn't been going so well. I kill the creature again and this time I make it to the room beyond. I read the riddle or clue on the wall where it talks about the Sun and Frost and victor so I pull the Sun ring since it makes sense to me that the Sun would win in that fight. I discover some nice traps in the next room and nothing helpful. I go back out and rest to reset the board and try it again with the Frost. This time I get smacked with a trap again, but find my quest item after all! Thank you! Of course, after the creature and then both sets of traps, I had no life force left and just trying to walk out of the room ended in my death as I pull a curse card from the discard pile.

3rd attempt result: death, but at least one quest item this time! 6-7 hours.

Conclusion:

I can not wait till my 4th attempt tonight! I know I can do it this time!

I hope you enjoy reading my adventure and my struggles. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Rasmussen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice recap, thanks. I'm still on my second attempt, and about as far as you were after your third. I'm having a huge blast playing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls