Subject: Icy Maze question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zed Lovecraft
Germany
Duesseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone of you played this expansion already? I'm in a couple of hours and liked it very much so far, but now I face a situation where I get really frustrated as I can't imagine how to solve this:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
After playing for a long time, solo with Frankenstein I finally reached the far snowy north (area IX) and one card after an ice bridge suggests I have to set sail from here to reach my objective. Happy I've my raft fully loaded with a 6 die on it I a head of.
From there on you can either go in directions of 449 and 499 cards each time spending a sail action. It's area X meanwhile. And every card of those always points you to the same stack of 449 and 499 cards.

I spent all actions heading to several 449 and 499 but none of them brought me to my goal. And now with the last action of my raft spent... it's just game over because the only action I can take on all these adventure cards is sail?

I'm stuck and happy about any suggestions as this feels really bad. I put this question in the main game forum as I fear no one is looking into the expansion forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
-
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it yet, but do you actually need the raft to use the action, or it just makes it easier?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zed Lovecraft
Germany
Duesseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to sail/swim, cards show the anchor symbol with movement arrows. But you're right I don't have to use the raft it just makes the sometimes difficult tests easier. If you don't use it you will quickly burn your action deck. The sailing just goes on and on and I guess when you went through all the available green cards you can take the golden card but that will take too long in my opinion. I just saved the game and will try again later but it currently turns a fun quest into a. Dry frustrating one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Onkes
Germany
Norden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have to use the raft, keep it in shape and you don't have to stop whilst you are making your way through the maze

And this is a spoiler for solving the maze

You need to "reach" the golden 499 card. don't bother with 449 or you will end up near your starting point on the continent. 499 is your way to go
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andokai Tihuacan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try using character Mary, Eliot or both on this curse. They have an action card whose effect applies as long as you have it in hand (Mary: Nomadism, Eliot: Yale graduate). Both have -1 cards and +1 star for sailing action! Most cards can be sailed in the maze without drawing cards with both caracters in the party and those action cards prepared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished the Icy Maze... in the spoilers below are some thoughts relevant to the OP. I'm sure you've either finished or given up by now, but I found this post when I was looking for some hints (see below) and I think my post will be helpful for people coming along in the future.

1. Getting There:
It took me a long time to get to the Icy Maze itself. I knew it was up North, so tried several times to bypass walking the whole continent by taking swim/sail actions from various places... none of them worked and only gained me a few tiles worth of Northern progress if any progress at all. The most frustrating one was when I was up in the desert area North of where the VG curse ends... went to the river crossing (the log, not the bridge to its South) and took the swim/sail action. It took me to the little archipelago to the East of the Continent and basically had me starting over from way South of where I wanted to be... ugh! Anyway, I eventually went the normal route and found my way to the Snowy Northern edge of the continent.

2. Setting Sail:
So I ended up trying the maze itself 3 times before I finally beat it. The first time I didn't see that some cards had {499} Adventure Cards paths... I just pulled out the {449} cards and assumed they were all the same (since the first card has only {449} paths). So naturally, I assumed the goal was to last long enough to get to the yellow {449} card. This of course resulted in me landing back on the icy shore and needing to regroup. I spent time hunting and eating to replenish my deck so I could do what exactly?

3. What Now?
After getting back to the shore, I decided to poke around and investigate... maybe there was some clue I was missing (the {449} cards had a repeated iceberg shape... that must have meant something... maybe I needed a clue that told me what each one was worth so I could draw a mystery card or something... No such luck. I did get to rest and buy some Advanced Skills, but didn't find anything like a clue for cracking the maze.

4. Setting Sail... Again
When I didn't find anything helpful I cautiously checked BGG for some hints and saw this thread and noticed that there were {499} cards and immediately stopped reading. I had to try the maze again with this knowledge. After some more hunting and eating, I set off again with a pretty healthy Action Deck. This time I ran into a situation where most of the times I revealed a card with a {499} exploration arrow, it kept pointing to Adventure Cards I had already played, so I couldn't access them... eventually I suffered the same fate from the first try and wound up back on the island as I got to the bottom of the {449} stack before I could get to the bottom of the {499} stack. Also, right before I made it to the end, I drained my Action Deck and drew a curse... I had been skating on the edge of death for a while, but fortunately I had the {777} card in my Satchel and cashed it in for one more shot at glory!

5. OK... Third time's the charm... right!?
Alright... After failing to solve the maze twice, with a healthy Action Deck, I set sail one more time. FINALLY! I got the yellow {499} card! I saw the little hut and with much dismay realized I only had about 9 cards in my Action Deck. After draining 6 of them to take each action on the island (Son-of-a!!!), I assumed I would have some sort of encounter that drained my deck or I would get a piece of info and then have to deliver it somewhere else, etc... but fortunately, all I needed to do was get to the hut and relax... I lifted the curse with just 3 Action Cards left!

6. How the Hell did you survive in the maze for 3 attempts?
Good question! I think this is what makes the 7th Continent amazing. The very basic game mechanics aren't difficult. The rules are easy to learn and apply... but there are so many little meta decisions and options you can consider to elongate your life or solve some sort of challenge. The decision space created by the Skill Cards is really amazing. Below are the things that let me stay alive so long.

1. On the first attempt, I ended up inside Jonas and got myself a handy craft that made sailing a lot easier. If you don't know what that means... don't worry, you will.

2. I got the Protective Cover (or whatever it's called) Advanced Skill. This is the one that lets you reduce the pips on it instead of another item. This bought me 5 more uses of the boat/raft each time I could build it.

3. I spammed the cards that let you search through your Discard and pull a card back. I used this to pull out the Protective Cover and the Raft several times to keep me alive. I also got another Advanced Skill that allows you to pull a card from the Discard or Action Deck. This card was an MVP.

4. I got another Advanced Skill that allowed me to shuffle 4 discards back to the Action Deck if the action used an item with the 'skill' keyword. All of those sailing actions used a 'skill' keyword, so I spammed this whenever I could to keep my deck alive.

5. I played as the Explorer guy, so I had a Skill Card that let me move for free without having to spend pips on my boat/raft. Again, spammed this when possible in combo with the cards that let you dig into your Discard.

6. I figured out a minor pattern in the {449} cards that let me prioritize where to Explore and it allowed me to stop blocking off my {499} opportunities.

7. You may sense a theme here, but Advanced Skills saved me. I counted at the end and I ended up buying 19 Advanced Skill Cards throughout the game. That really extended the lifespan of my Action Deck and obviously some of those cards were key to allowing me to survive. I ended up with 2 of the Green Satchel cards that give you a (-2) discount on certain keywords and I would just add as many cards as I could even if they weren't meaningful for this curse... anything I could do to boost my deck. Since I ended up winning with just 3 cards left in my deck, those 19 cards were absolutely invaluable!
/o]

OK, I think it's it. I guess this ended up more as a strategy guide coupled with a session report, but I think it will be helpful for those searching BGG for help with the Icy Maze.

Overall, I am happy I played it... don't think it has much replayability unless you actively forget the tricks. Not saying it would be easy to beat this time around, but the discovery portion really only happens once and it would be a bit of a slog trying to beat out the maze after unlocking its secrets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a very similar experience to Zachary - misreading the numbers on the cards and thinking they were all the same, then finding that the ones we wanted virtually all pointed back to the tile we were already on, then finally spotting spoiler number 6.6, which we found pivotal to solving the curse.

We had two cards left in the Action deck by the end, having already used our 777.

Definitely a tricky curse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam C
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I finished the curse, but never figured out what the hint from the old man on the south end of the continent alluded to. Any idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ceti wrote:
I finished the curse, but never figured out what the hint from the old man on the south end of the continent alluded to. Any idea?

The old Man in the hut...

His clue is not required to solve this Curse exclusively, though it helps.

The "teeth" clue is in reference to a shortcut in the mountains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Najve Veterano
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I stay in 361, i search around... but i don’t know how i can end curse...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Najve wrote:
I stay in 361, i search around... but i don’t know how i can end curse...

If you are trying to complete the Icy Maze...
...you should head back East from 361, then find a way to travel North.

Look for for an “icy foot bridge”, and remember to apply the purple curse banner whenever you see a Snowflake symbol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Najve Veterano
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mh.. est from 361? i have no way to move. i stay in 361 after gold card of 499! help help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
-
mbmbmbmbmb
Najve wrote:
mh.. est from 361? i have no way to move. i stay in 361 after gold card of 499! help help
361 should have an arrow east to 334??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udo Borries
Germany
Schnelldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Najve wrote:

Actually 499 gold sends you to

361 is where you are sent by
449 gold
which means you didn't find your way through the maze. And from there you have two arrows to west and east.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls